TKR Braunzie's Journey on "The Other Side"?

@Pescara - No stomach sleeping yet.. I've tried side sleeping - on both sides, but knee still needs a little convincing that this is better than back sleeping.. I last about an hour or so, but then have to go back to my back.. It will come... Working on that patience thing.. :heehee:
 
It takes a couple of days but you will get there. Use a pillow on you side between your knees. You will be fine. I promise. I moved to the guest room since the mattress is firmer and rented a side grab bar
 
I can only sleep on my side for a short while too and, as you know, I'm 2 weeks ahead of you. Knee is still happiest elevated on 3 pillows, poking out from underneath the covers otherwise it gets too hot and with me on my back. I sleep ok like that so if it ain't broke..... :sleep: We'll get there when our knees tell us we can..... If you manage to work out the patience thing, do let me know, please :loll:
 
I've been trying to sleep without the ice machine, so I have more options with regard to position. I find that my knee gets hot too, and so have to find a way to keep the rest of me warm while my knee pops out of the covers.. :heehee:

Haven't been sleeping quite as well since I stopped taking the narcotics, so that's a little frustrating, but I'm working though it. Fortunately I have all the time I need to rest since I'm not working.. It would be a lot different if I had to get up and go to work. I'm thankful I don't have to worry about that yet!!

@Raffs - you'll be the first to know if I figure out the patience thing, I promise! Just don't hold your breath!! :rotfl:
 
I just lie on my back, pull the duvet over me then tuck it around my knee so that's the only bit of me exposed - apart from my head, of course!! I find that elevating it means I don't move much so the duvet tends to stay put.

Could you take a herbal or other gentle sleep aid? I know many people on here have tried different things with varying results.

Thanks re the patience thing - my breath is baited!!
 
I tend to sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs. If l use my cryo cuff, which is getting less during the night, l still use a pillow to stop my other leg freezing!
 
I think you are doing very well. Good numbers, field trips ! That was my goal at 4-5 weeks before my little setback. I'm hoping I can get out for an hour or so on the 22nd for my birthday. That would be a little victory for me.
 
Birthdays are to be celebrated, so I hope you get to go out on your birthday - if not, have someone bring the party to you!

I tend to sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs. If l use my cryo cuff, which is getting less during the night, l still use a pillow to stop my other leg freezing!
I like to try to fall asleep on my right side since the left side of my neck gives me trouble if I sleep on my left side too long. But, I've tried the pillow between my legs on the right side, which I had to do pre-surgery, and just can't get my knee into a comfortable position, so flip over to the left side I must and then wake up with a sore neck. I find my knee is most comfortable when I sleep on my back, but I always end up with a headache if I sleep on my back.

It's a wonder any of us postops get any sleep at all :loll:
 
Just got back from PT with a fill-in Terrorist.. uh.. Therapist.. Extension number regressed.. from 5 to 7.. Trying not to be too disappointed, as I guess that is to be expected at times. (She "worked hard" to help me with a better number.. :tantrum2:)

Flexion was 119, so gained a degree there. Tried a new exercise, lying on my good leg hip and trying to side lifts with my operated leg.. NO WAY.. That hurt a lot in my knee and I told her I couldn't do it. :groan:

Feeling a bit of depression / blues.. Not sure why. Last couple of nights I've had friends come over to visit.. Very low maintenance.. First night, they (two couples - LONG TIME friends) brought all the food and drink. We had a really nice time visiting. And last night, we hosted a different set of friends with light appetizers and my husband made paninis for everyone and they brought a salad and drinks. Again, really nice visit.. SOOO nice to be able to socialize a bit! I think maybe I'm a bit tired from all that "excitement" though..

Knee was stiff this Am and maybe it's a patience thing.. I just feel like I should be able to get around a bit easier.. Trying to not freak out about all the housework that is not getting done.. Getting help with some obvious stuff in the "socializing area", but nothing really in the "behind the scenes" areas.. the dust is building up.. BLECH!!

And, there is a big reorg being planned at work and my team is going to be split. I currently have 6 managers and about 90 FTEs.. All happening while I'm not there.. Not terribly optimistic about the outcome.. But.. nothing I can do about it.. :umm:

And, I'm up a couple pounds because I splurged a bit socializing the last two nights.. :sad:

I KNOW in my HEAD that I should just chill and not worry about this stuff. I KNOW in my HEAD that the dust will go away at some point and I'll have a clean house again. I KNOW in my HEAD that this is a long process and it's a marathon, not a sprint... That I'll be able to get around better than before my surgery..

:chillpill:

AUGHHHHH!!!!!!! LOL!!!! Thanks for listening!!!! :console2:
 
@Braunzie -- I totally get the blues! I think finally driving solo has helped a bit, but I don't have the stamina to run errands like I used to and that is frustrating. Today I had PT and then went to lunch with a friend. It was wonderful to do something "normal" but by the time I got home I was exhausted. I do think fatigue plays into feelings of depression. Before surgery I could do everything. Now I can do so little. I never aspired to be in a marathon!
 
I came home from work today, headed straight to my bed to elevate and regain some energy as usual, and made the mistake of looking up at my ceiling. My ceiling fan has created an amazing design of dust, and there are some cobwebs of apparent long-standing. I closed my eyes and they disappeared. I recommend you do the same thing.

Nice that you had friends over. Sorry you are feeling the blues, but this too shall pass. My knee is stiff every time I get up after at least an hour of inactivity. That's just the nature of the beast. But good to post these low points, because then we can go back later and see our progress. It is happening. Hugs to you.
 
@Slainte - lol! Do those cobwebs come back when you open your eyes?? :rotfl:

@sdgrandma - Yeah.. I never dreamed of being in a marathon either. :snork:

Thanks to both of you for the words of encouragement and hugs.. I do think I'm a bit tired.. Planning on laying low tomorrow.. no PT and no guests.. Just me and my dust.. LOL!:rofsign:
 
Hang in there, @Braunzie ! It will get better.

Can you look at it this way? Dust bunnies are your friends. They show that you have been resting properly.
 
The blues have visited me this week, too. Same as last time - I had family stay for a couple of days, we did a little socialising and then after they left I felt really down. I honestly think that doing normal things just reminds me how far I've still got to go. I know it shouldn't, it should cheer me up but this doesn't happen. Perhaps you're affected in the same way?

I've said to myself so many times "I should be able to do xxxxx by now" and then get upset when I can't. It all comes down to that elusive thing called patience....something we're having difficulty with right now.

I've got stuff going on at work too that is causing me to worry but, like you, nothing I can do about it.

Like everyone else has said, hang in then, ignore the dust and know that tomorrow you'll probably feel a bit better.
 
Oh @Braunzie things will get better. Hopefully today will be a better day. You can KNOW in your head lots of things but it's ACCEPTING them that is the tough part. I know in my head that I will have a tough time with this too lol.
 
I think we all understand what you're going thru. You're usually one of my "voices of reason". You have had many posistive changes recently, so don't let the not so positive ones bring you down. I think we all have too much time to think during this process ! Don't sweat the small stuff !
Go back and read some of your posts at 2-3 weeks...might make you feel better
 
Back
Top Bottom