Guest viewing is limited

TKR Braunzie's Journey on "The Other Side"?

@snowleopard - Good to hear from you! I trust your eye surgery went well?? Hope so! Nice news about the stairs, too!
@Pescara - I dream of sleeping on my stomach! Four weeks? I hit that milestone tomorrow, in fact.. Not sure I'm brave enough to try that yet.. but now that you've chimed in, maybe so?? :wink:

Yesterday I spent most of the afternoon out and about with my darling hubby. It was kind of like a date!! :heehee: We went to Home Depot (where I rode the motorized cart and got some interesting looks), another hardware store, and Sears... That was more than I've been out since before surgery, for sure! Not too much walking, as I was very careful to try NOT to overdue it. Came home and elevated and iced while my honey planted some of the flowers we picked up at Home Depot, and then we went out to dinner at a Mexican Restaurant we've been meaning to try. Survived it all without any pain to mention.. Just a little stiffness by the time we were getting ready to leave the restaurant. It was SOOOO nice to spend so much time with my husband outside of the house!! :yes!:
OH.. and by the way, I was able to wear a pair of shorts I wasn't able to get on before surgery. :happydance:(I've lost about 14 pounds so far.)

Knee is really stiff this AM.. not surprised.. Stiff, but not really painful. In fact, I held off my pain meds a couple extra hours this am and only took Ibuprophen and Tylenol.. seeing if I can get away with no narcotics today. Used my CPM machine (which has been ignored for a while), since my knee was so stiff.. thought it would help to loosen it up again.. With the help of my hubby, set it originally to 100 to see what my knee would tolerate (I was a little apprehensive, to say the least) and actually got it to 115 and let it ride for about an hour. Got up and walked for 20 minutes (exciting journey to the living room, kitchen, hallway, front bedroom, hallway, repeat).. - listening to a nice CD, which made the time go a little faster.. then came back to ice and elevate before doing my stretching exercises.. I may put off the PT when I get up.. I'll have to see what my mental state is like.. :snork:

Want to work in the kitchen a bit and then maybe go to Costco with my hubby.

Tomorrow is my 4 week anniversary! Honestly, glad those 4 weeks are behind me, and hoping the next go a bit faster and are a bit more "enjoyable". Is that too much to ask for?? :rotfl:

I'll look forward to catching up on everyone's threads on my next session of icing!! Wishing you all well!! :)
 
My DME company picked up my CPM machine last Monday. I miss it! My replacement exercise is to lie on my stomach, hook my good side ankle under my new-and-soon-to-be-improved side ankle and pull it into a bend. I can feel it stretching the top muscles of my thigh and it feels great.

Glad you had such a nice day and evening with your husband. We are getting there!
 
That sounds like a great day! It is so good to do a few normal things. I've found that things moved along pretty well from week 5, I can see and feel definite improvements. Still got a long way to go but we will get there. Keep up the good work :flwrysmile:.
 
@Braunzie I put a pillow under me before I slept on my stomach. Sounds like you had a great day out. You are doing more than I did @ week 4. I can be such a baby lol. After all that you did...yes, you are going to be sore but didn't it feel great to get out! I always use the electric cart at the stores and they are a big help. At first I got a few stares until I wore shorts. What a big difference in reactions. A lady stopped me to chat for a bit. She is having a TKR tomorrow. I told her about the site and all the support and great advice. I would never have been able to make it through without everyone. I changed up my PT exercises last night and had problems sleeping and feel like my legs weigh a ton so I know I overdid it . Keep me posted on the sleeping on the stomach or just drop by to say hi. Keep up the great work :doggie:
 
@Slainte - I'll have to try that exercise.. It's sounds interesting.. They were supposed to pick up my CPM machine last week.. but haven't. So I guess I should use it as along as it's "on borrowed time". :)

Just got back from Costco. All their motor carts were in use, so I "crutched it" all the way through with two crutches. (My hands are a bit sore, hahaha! :heehee:) Knee did OK, but boy, am I exhausted now! Back elevating and icing.. No pain to speak of, in fact just took more Ibuprophen and Tylenol after 8 hours - with no narcotics yet today.. We'll see how tonight plays out. Knee feels very stiff.. but what's new? :rotfl: Hopefully I will sleep well tonight. ......oops.. guess I never hit enter yesterday.. A bit late.. sorry..
 
4 weeks out today. As a follow up to yesterday's post (that I just posted.. :P), tried to sleep in different positions yesterday, no narcotics at bedtime and well, that didn't work as well as I had hoped. About 2am, I gave up and elevated, iced, on my back and finally slept until about 7.. Will keep trying.

Had a bit of a pity party this Am.. I need to work on patience!! (@Slainte - yes, the exercise!! :yes: ) Got some extra hugs from my husband and encouragement that I'm making progress.. Pulled up my bootstraps and did my walk, my bike, the dishes, and my exercises.. then iced and elevated.

Went to PT this afternoon. New numbers! 118/5....:yes!:

Started more strengthening exercises, but am definitely proceeding cautiously..

Thanks for all you guys and gals out there.. Just knowing you're there does help.. :wave:
 
@Braunzie, I wish I were there to give you hugs and TLC. And to take you gently by the shoulders, give you a loving but firm little shake and tell you that you *are* making progress. Tremendous progress. I can't imagine braving a big box store like Home Depo or Costco, let alone two days of shopping at them back to back. And you have the discipline to spend 20 minutes at a time walking around your home. 20 minutes! Wow. Please treat yourself as gently as you'd treat one of us. Yeah, it (insert a choice verb and adjective here) to not *yet* be able to sleep through the night without pain meds. And yeah, it's annoying that we can't curl up in any old position at night without discomfort or pain. But remember what your life was like 6 weeks ago. 4 weeks ago. Aren't things so much better now than they were before? Patience, grasshopper, patience.
 
Congrats on that ROM. I will have mine measured Friday so am doing lots of different gentle stretches so I won't be bummed by the number. Yesterday I did a little work around the yard and was so tired and yawning that I went to bed at 9:30p, certain that I would be asleep with no need for those silly meds. After tossing and turning for 2 1/2 hours, I took a percocet and two Tylenol PMs and watched youtube videos until they kicked in around 1am. Then had to get up at 6am and go to work. Different plan tonight. I took those meds at 8pm and am sure to get some much needed sleep. Note to self: experiment with sleep aids on a weekend night!
 
You are doing well. It's a tortoise sort of time, recovering from a knee replacement. Slow and steady wins this race.
 
OH.. and by the way, I was able to wear a pair of shorts I wasn't able to get on before surgery. :happydance:(I've lost about 14 pounds so far.)
Not the most fun way to lose weight for sure, but I'm down 15 pounds as of this morning (no comparison/competition, I'm just excited as he11!). Been meaning to try on some of my work clothes that were getting tight to see how they fit now.
 
@Braunzie WOW 2 stores in 2 days. You have a lot of courage. I couldn't do all that you did @week 4. You must be exhausted. Without this site,encouraging words and good friends I would never have made it to where I am. Keep up the great work but remember to ice and elevate. :thankyou:
 
I hear you re the pity party....... Glad to hear you bounced back from it. Great numbers :thumb:. Do be cautious with the strengthening exercises - they've really upset my knee. One month tomorrow!!
 
@Brauzie. Have you tried sleeping on your stomach yet? I was a little sore the first time but the second night was heavenly. :sleep:
 
@SDkate I lost 15 pounds also due to my husband's cooking!
I can't blame my husband's cooking - he does all of the cooking in our house, except for Sunday night dinner with my kids, then I cook. He's a wonderful cook, and I feel bad when my lack of appetite/lack of taste make it difficult for me to enjoy his meals.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom