TKR Braunzie's Journey on "The Other Side"?

Progress! Well done. Good numbers too. Hope you enjoyed the movie.
 
@Braunzie and @Raffs-- Thank you both for sharing about meltdown moments. It resonates--especially the great and true observation that somehow it seems to happen after a day that has some normalcy to it. This is a long, slow trip, and there's no way to do check-it-off short cuts. Rationally I know it is not true, but I find myself concerned that my knees will always be painful and will always limit me significantly . . . because the recovery is so slow, and there's no way to get there fast. It does really help to have loved ones comment on increased mobility, slightly more normal gait--and getting all the way around on the bike must've been an amazing moment for you, Braunzie! Hats off. We gotta just take it as it comes, enjoy those YES moments, and know it is getting better week by week and month by month.

@LHop and I were mentioning to each other that we can no longer find the recovery thread for @iivesfam5. Are you able to find her? I know she is back to work so obviously stopping here less. Anyhow, have a great day.
 
I am wondering about @iivesfam5 also. If you look for an old post from her and click on her avatar, it states that her last visit was Saturday. Her thread is gone. And someone was asking if Lucy and Ethel were knee names, and the answer was yes, a former member had named her knees that. Miss her so much. And really wonder what happened.
 
@Braunzie , sounds like you are doing just great. I remember those early weeks, lack of sleep and the early morning stiffness from a restless night. Oh ! I shudder just thinking about it. But dont be alarmed, its par of course and 100 % worth it. If you remember i too work for Costco as a butcher. I walk to and from the dept to the time clock and break room now without pain or a limp at all. Surpassed my wildest dreams. It takes awhile though. Just be vigilant about the ODIC. Heres a tip that might help with that early morning stiffness and its not ice, its heat. A electric heating pad to loosen up things and get the blood flowing, however at 2 weeks it might be abit too early for heat. Im by no means a medical or therapist expert , it just helped with me . Keep up the great work, Iceman
 
Thanks for the encouragement, @icep707 ! I will try the heating pad at some point.. - when I'm feeling brave.. (which isn't today.. hahaha!) :heehee:

@Raffs, Thanks for asking.. :)

Two steps forward, one step back.. Yesterday I had a friend visit in the evening. Did a bit more up on my feet just getting ready (doing dishes, straightening up a bit), putting together some simple snacks. Then spent the evening (about 3 hours) visiting while I sat in a recliner, not really elevating or icing. Knee is not happy with me today.. in fact, had to take an extra Percocet off schedule, as the one I took by the clock was not helping enough with the pain.. (bummer) But visiting was a nice break from the monotony, so I'm OK paying the price.. but also understanding from my knee that it was probably too much.. Duly noted.
On the upside though, I was able to take a shower by myself yesterday, FINALLY!!!!!:yes!:
And, I'm working on building up on the number of steps I can take on my own without a crutch or cane. Still have a ways to go, definitely, but I am seeing progress.. Slowly but surely.

Got on the bike again yesterday to find that I couldn't do rotations right out of the gate.. Had to "warm up" for about 5 minutes before making a full revolution.. but just a reminder this is by no way a linear recovery.. As I said to my friend @cpd599 , patience is a virtue..

I have the pleasure of getting to go to PT today.. we'll see how that goes.. Will report back later.. Hope everyone is having a good day today!!! :yes:
 
Don't even start the timer on my bike at home until I stretch the knee a few times. When it makes the first turn, I turn on the 10-minute timer and do 20 turns back, 20 turns forward, until the 10 minutes are up. They still start the timer at PT with no warm up time allowed, so I'm not getting as many full revolutions there. Go figure. I try for at least one 10-minute segment a day at home, sometimes two. Glad you got to entertain a friend. Wife and I had a good time at the movies Monday with my sister and her hubby. Felt almost normal. Hope PT was good today; I'm going back tomorrow for another session with a sub. Will feel much more comfortable when my "personal" PT comes back Monday. Hang in there, kid, and keep up the good work.
 
3.5 weeks.. PT went well. Numbers have improved.. 114/ 7.. getting there for sure!:yes!: Completely whooped, so going to sit down, have a glass of wine, (shhhhh.. don't tell anybody!!), relax with leg elevated and read a book. Tomorrow is another day!!

Oh.. found out my PT clinic is closing... It got bought out by an athletics club! Go figure. That's a bummer, but maybe I'll be able to go to where my therapist is going - which is not too far out of the way. Need to find out if insurance will cover... If it's not one thing is another!! haha.. It's all good.. Just one "opportunity" after another.

Wishing everyone a good evening! Thanks again to all for your support and encouragement! Knowing you're here just makes everything that much better.. the good and the bad.. :roseshwr:
 
Congratulations on the shower by yourself! Your ROM rocks. Oh, and not a bummer to have to take an unplanned med - just being flexible and wise. Good going.
 
:SUNsmile:Hi @Braunzie,
I've been reading your recovery thread, and am very encouraged by your experience and positive attitude. It amazes me how different each person's recovery is, even from one knee to the next. Looking forward to more installments.

I too noticed that @iivesfam5 is no longer active. I hope everything's okay. Maybe she got busy with work and healing decided to leave the forum.
Take good care!
 
@Braunzie. I am almost 9 weeks out and you inspire me. Yesterday I went and got a much needed manicure and then dinner out with hubby. Today I am resting for a dinner we have to go to tonight. Keep up the great work :wow:
 
@Pescara - Thanks for the positive comments.. :yes: Believe me when I say I have definitely my own set of frustrations. This recovery seems to be going so slowly. I'm so looking forward to being able to walk without a crutch or cane. Even with a crutch, every once in a while my right knee feels like it's going to give out on me and that alone prevents me from even trying to walk without assistance, unless someone is right their with me. That, along with my energy level being so limited, are my top two struggles that I'm looking forward to surpassing. I know it's a matter of time. I know I need to exercise patience.. but.. I'm HUMAN!! Hahahaha! :rotfl: And if I could just wiggle my nose and get all the house work done.. :heehee: "It will all work out..".. one way or the other! :SUNsmile:
 
My knee also feels like it is going to give out on me. Like you, it has only happened a few times but I am concerned and this is one of he reasons I still use a crutch outside. I will speak to my PT about it on Monday and will let you know what he says. Others have mentioned this before and quad strength usually seems to be the issue.
 
Raffs, your PT should be able to give you some targeted exercises to help with that.
 
@Braunzie - my surgery was about a week before yours and I'm tired a lot too. I'm using a cane because I limp without it. That could lead to other problems. So I know what you mean about a level of frustration.
 
@Braunzie
Yes, it's a long, slow recovery and I know you're sick of hearing about patience, but it does pay off in the end.

There are no prizes for getting rid of the cane or crutch early. Keep using them as long as you feel you need them. Certainly, if you feel as if your knee is going to give out on you, you need the cane. The time to stop using it is when you find you're forgetting it.

I still used my cane outside and in crowds for quite a while after I didn't really need it - it made me feel safer on wet or uneven surfaces and it was good for warding off unruly children and rushing adults.

As for the limited energy level, it's normal and will improve with time. At the moment, most of your body's energy is still being used to heal your knee.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Braunzie,

I'm back from my little medical adventure and getting caught up around here. I turn my back for five minutes, and you've got an ROM of 114/7!!!! Wow! That's fabulous! I don't think I have that much flexion yet.

I made it upstairs today using the radical method of putting one foot on one step, and the other on the step above it. I had to swing my surgical leg a bit wide to clear the next step, but was then able to go weight-bearing lifting my body with it. I feel as if I've made a subtle/significant gain, and sometimes I do find myself forgetting my crutch, as @Celle mentioned. But overall, it's the road we're on. Thank goodness we're in good company here.

When I had my eye surgery yesterday, both the attending nurse and the anesthesiologist said that they were bilaterals, one six years out, another eight, and working as nurses. The surgeon mentioned today that they were both very careful with my knee when I was being moved around. Kinda neat to know that the sister-/brotherhood of bonesmarties is out there. I think we all get impatient, but we're learning a lot on this path, yes?

Here's to a good tomorrow for you.
 
@Brauzie they took off my sock on day 3 never to be seen again. When I went to the OS to get my staples out he said I should have one all day long and take it off at night. I never could find another one that was as light weight as the one at the hospital so finally gave up. After 8 weeks I still ice and elevate when I am on the couch. I finally slept on my stomach about week 4 so not long and you will be doing th he same:doggie:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom