TKR Braunzie's Journey on "The Other Side"?

Hi @Braunzie!!! It's been a while since I've been on here---just catching up. First, my deepest condolences on the loss of your dad. I still have both of my parents but they are really slowing down and it's sad to see.

Nice to hear your knee is healing well and that you are back to living your life!! My left knee is a champ, really doing well. My right knee is still new but despite a very rough start, I feel like it's healing faster. Still sore whether I sit or do stuff but nothing like pre-op so I'm happy. I know in time the right will catch up to the left. I just couldn't put it off any more. Funny thing is, I did NO outpatient PT with this knee, just had the home care PT who is my friend from work. Hope your natural knee behaves for a while!!
 
@bdink21 - so glad to hear you're doing well!!! Don't have much time to check in anymore, but try to occasionally.. Wishing you the best! Anxious to hear how things are in a few months! :)
 
Hi all my Bonesmart friends! Today is my 10th month anniversary! I had to come in and say hi.. I read my update from month 9 and today's update is very similar.. just better.. Progressively, I can tell there is still progress being made.. So.. for those of you behind me - it's true! :egypdance:

I miss keeping up with friends I grew to know here in my early recovery.. You know who you are.. I wish I had more time.... :friends:

Work has been really busy.. I got a new boss a couple weeks ago, so now I'm working on bringing him up to speed on a department I've had for over 9 years.. He's been with the company "almost" as long as I have.. 31 years.. hahaha! and I've been acquainted with him for quite a long time, so .... I'm "cautiously optimistic"... Time will tell.. :yes:

Going on my "Annual Sibling Vacation" next month to South Dakota, so that will be the best chance to really see how my knee does.. Day over day, out and about.. Tough to really test it with a desk job and busy weekends.. I am SOOO excited! (Ok. Yes, it will be good to see how the knee does, but also to be away from work for two weeks!! - SHHHHH don't tell anyone!) :cheers2:

Thinking back to how my knee felt and what I couldn't do before my surgery, life is SOOOO much better! For all you who are early in your recovery, take heart! I wish I knew then what I know now. Patience will be your BEST FRIEND. And try not to stress.... While there are situations that crop up that I didn't have to deal with, I believe the majority of the journeys are similar to mine.. Patience, my friends.. :chillpill:

Wishing you all well!!! :loveshwr:
 
Great update, wonderful to hear how well you are doing.
Have a great time on your vacation to South Dakota, lots of beautiful sights to see.
 
Great report. I'm happy to hear you're doing so well and that the knee keeps getting better and better. I'm working on trying to catch up to you but I can already see some positive steps in that direction. Have a great vacation with your family.
 
Braunzie, I am 10 days behind you, and slightly behind you in recovery, although I no longer bother with even paracetamol most of the time. My problem is still muscle pain varying from day to day depending on my activities. I have made an appointment with my original Physio to see how she thinks I can build them up and stop them aching so much. I still find standing for too long difficult although the length of time I can stand is increasing noticeably. Maybe by our year update we shall both be completely recovered. Here's hoping. :hiking: :dancy:
 
@kayak59, I get out by sitting on the side of the kayak and then sliding off into water that's a little above knee high. There's no way I can stand up on dry land!
 
11 month anniversary tomorrow! I feel so fortunate when I look back to where I was pre-surgery. Think about my knee less and less, but it's still not "perfect".. (and probably never will be...) But.. I'm very grateful to my doc and to all my friends here at Bonesmart for all the support and encouragement along the way. I have recommended this site a number of times when I meet people who will be or know people who will be having knee replacement surgery.. It has been a HUGE help for me from an information perspective- not to mention the benefit of interfacing with so many great people!

Leaving in 10 days for my South Dakota trip.. Will give a more comprehensive update on my one year anniversary.. Best wishes to all of my Bonesmart friends!!! Take care and be well! :cheers:
 
Happy to hear you are doing well, and looking forward to your vacation. Looking forward to your one year update.
 
You have such a good attitude, I am sure it has served you well in your recovery. I hope you have a wonderful trip!
 
Enjoy your trip, I'm sure you'll take some amazing photos!
 
Have a great trip! I'm glad you're doing well. I'll be watching for the one year update.
 
3 weeks and 2 days away from Rafa's first birthday, and pretty much want to second sister Braunzie's comments above. Keep running into people on the tennis courts who had knew knees put in by my doc, and we all sing his praises for allowing us to play the game we love so much. Actually playing better and smarter than before surgery, so old dogs can learn new tricks, sometimes. Helps that I've lost 26 pounds since Xmas; hope to drop another 20 by next Xmas, so wish me luck. June is always a difficult weight-management month for me and will be again this year. Looking at Dad's Day, 46th anniversary, and 70th birthday, all within a 10-day period. Need to show some discipline. I will, however, at one of those events drink a toast to my BoneSmart brothers and sisters, especially the July Sparklers who have shared this journey. I am, in fact, toasting y'all right now with my morning coffee. Cheers, everyone, and Happy 11th, Braunzie. :cheers2:
 
Great news @Braunzie. Glad you are doing so well. I'm back in PT again. Knee is great, but I'm having some leg pain that the PA thought was nerve related due to some issues with my back. Today was my 2nd session and I don't feel the leg pain as much as I used to. Only have script for 5 sessions so might try and get it extended so I can keep it up.
 
11 month anniversary tomorrow! I feel so fortunate when I look back to where I was pre-surgery. Think about my knee less and less, but it's still not "perfect".. (and probably never will be...) But.. I'm very grateful to my doc and to all my friends here at Bonesmart

I'm in pretty much the same exact place as you are! My 11 month anniversary is on Wednesday. It's hard to believe, because one year ago it seemed we would never get to this point. My knees are not perfect, but I am so much better off than I was before. I still have some tenderness and numbness around the scars, and it is weird, weird, weird to kneel - but I can do it. I would like more bending ("flexion") and I still work hard to try to get there, but I'm not sure how much more I can achieve at this point.

The best thing about Bonesmart was having that cohort of people going through the same thing at the same time. I was on the site regularly during those recovery days. Now most of our folks have moved on - and I guess that's as it should be - but it's a community to whom I am profoundly grateful for the company and conversation during those healing days last summer.
 
11 month anniversary tomorrow! I feel so fortunate when I look back to where I was pre-surgery. Think about my knee less and less, but it's still not "perfect".. (and probably never will be...)

Hello there,

I too am starting to think that my new knee will never be perfect, but my natural knee was far from perfect as well. And I guess I'm okay with that. But to tell you the truth, I'm waiting to make a final determination until July 13, our magic one-year anniversary. I'm still having issues descending stairs. I can do them without holding on to any railings and I can do them fairly quickly but I still get twinges of pain and some popping. Other than that, I'm good to go.

Have a great trip.
 
At the airport in Minneapolis right now.. Smiling as I read the replies to my most recent post... @Rob 68, congratulations on your celebratory events this month! Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary! :cheers: Giving you all hugs and encouragement! I'll try to get back on when I get back from vacation - and before I get back to work - to give you a "knee report".. keeping fingers crossed! Hopefully I'll have more time to chat with each of you! In the meantime, hope everyone enjoys their summer!!! It's the BEST time of year!! Thanks for your continued support and friendship.. :yes!:
 
Darn! I missed posting yesterday on my "official" one year anniversary.. but one day later is not too bad???? Had a followup with my OS and all is thumbs up! Extension and Flexion looks good. 0 / "pushing 140"... doc said I'm a "record breaker"... :egypdance: Sweet!!!!! All I know is that for the most part my pain is GONE..... I can walk without a limp. My rate of walking is pretty much back to normal.. I can go upstairs without holding on to a banister ( carrying groceries!!!!) .. I can go downstairs "almost" without holding onto the banister... Carrying some things while holding the banister a bit more earnestly.. :ok:..

I still "hobble out of it" when I get up from sitting for too long and I still have a tightness in my knee, just walking... but it is getting less and less notable as time goes on.. Honestly.. I think all my joints are just getting old, so I'd "hobble out of it" regardless.... watching my husband reinforces this idea.. :heehee:

Anyone who might be reading this who is anticipating surgery or who may have just had it... or who may be 6 months into it... My best advice.. Patience.. Just let time heal your knee.... Do what you can when you can, but don't push yourself.. Everyone heals differently.. listen to your knee....

All my best wishes to my friends at Bonesmart!!!! Looking forward to hearing your updates.. :loveshwr:
 
Hi @Braunzie My anniversary is a week on Saturday. Like you I can go upstairs carrying things without holding onto the banister, but I do hold it coming down. I see my OS next week, my Extension is zero, but my flexion is nothing like as good as yours, it has reached 126, but yesterday it only made 115. The OS doesn't measure it, in England they don't seem to bother. However unlike you I do still have some pain mainly around the numb patch! I don't understand what that can be.
My biggest problem is the other side where my knee is 20 months old. I started walking oddly and have been given orthotics which are helping, but it still can be troublesome and painful. I still need paracetamol to take the worst of the pain away. It is very odd as that knee was fine until I had number two done, the second operation seems have upset the first.
I recognise the stiff hobble you mention, I expect it will go in time. My right leg is barely stiff, just the left. Anyhow congratulations on your anniversary and I am so pleased that everything has worked out so well for you.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom