Guest viewing is limited

TKR Braunzie's Journey on "The Other Side"?

@Braunzie Can I add my condolences on the loss of your much loved father. My Mother is 91 and lives near to us but my father died when he was 62, and my mother has been on her own for 31 years. I don't know what we will do as she gets more frail as she is also very independent. The good thing is she makes friends very easily and always seems to have a house full whenever we call.

My 7 month anniversary is coming up soon, but I don't seem to be doing as well as others at this time. I think probably today I am in the ODIC, but it doesn't make me any happier about my aches and pains, as tomorrow we have tickets for a Valentine's Day dance, which I have really been looking forward to. Still tomorrow is another day.

I am still on paracetamol when everyone else seems to have come off all drugs by this time. Occasionally when I get something that seems inflamed I take naproxen for about three days. I am just not comfortable enough yet to cut out all drugs.
 
Try not to compare yourself with other people, @Majic . Your knee is on its own journey and it will get there in the end. At 7 months, you're only just over half way through this year-long recovery. I'm sure that there are people who would envy your ability to dance already.
 
I'm very sorry to read about the passing of your father. It is indeed unfortunate that it seems family drama occurs during this time. Hopefully it will all work out.
 
I'm so sorry to read of your dad's passing, @Braunzie . We still have both of my parents, but my dad fell and broke his hip a few months ago due to his stubbornness. So I understand how hard it is do what you feel is best for your mom. My thoughts are with you.
 
Many hugs to you @Braunzie having had gone through this in the past year. A military funeral is an amazing honor to attend, and knowing that they are honoring your own father is such an awesome experience!
 
My sympathies on the loss of your dad. Regardless of how old our parents are it is tough to lose them. Hope your mom is doing okay. Sending a big hug your way.

On another note, congrats on reaching the 7 month mark.
 
Hi all
Been away for a while
So sorry for your loss braunzie
Hope you only have happy occasions in the future
 
Hi all my Bonesmart Friends!!!! - :cheers2:
It's been a while since I've posted, but felt that my 9 month anniversary for my knee replacement was a worthy reason for jumping on. (Lots going on ..... Yes, "real life" is back.)

Well.. I would say my knee is about 80-85% back to "normal".... Very little pain for the most part. Still feel the "tight band" feeling, but I can tell it is lessening, slowly but surely. My gate is definitely getting back to "normal", though at times getting up after sitting for a while, I still hobble a bit to "loosen" things up. Some limited pain, sometimes (like when I twist in an odd way).... But SOOOO much better than pre-surgery!!!!

Stairs are getting much better for me. Up is about 95% OK, down is still only about 75% ( have to hold the banister!)

I find the most pain really, is when I have to stand in one place for a while.. I need to stretch my knee frequently.. but .. no big deal...

My husband and I went on a day trip last Saturday and I took my cameras for the first time, in it seems FOREVER! Probably could have done it sooner, but weather in the Great Northwest is not always conducive to that until this time of year. I had SO much fun!!! I'm getting my life back!!!! :D

So.. good news for the replaced knee!! :yes!:

That being said, I am "feeling" my left knee and wondering how long it will last. Time will tell.. I'm going on vacation in June to South Dakota, where I'm sure we'll do LOTs of walking. We'll see then if another surgery is in my near future.. Wish me luck!!!

Hoping all of you are doing well.. :yes:
 
@Braunzie, I don't check here often, but coincidentally was checking right after you posted. So happy to hear all is going well. I have my one year appointment with the OS scheduled for the end of June. I'm debating about going sooner since I'm still having a lot of stiffness around the knee. I wonder if I'm just doing more and that's why. I asked my hubby if I seemed to be walking better and he said I was walking as fast as him....so that's a good thing.
 
Hi there! So nice to read your post. You sound great! I especially liked reading about how you are doing on the stairs. I am at about the same place as you. And why not given we are twins! I can go up and down without a railing, but I hear a click on the way up and still have discomfort and sometimes pain going down depending on the height of the step. I too am forgetting about my knee more and more. My other knee complains when I do too much. I get a Synvisc injection April 26 and I need one. So glad you are doing well and happy. Wouldn't it be something if we both end up doing our other knee on the same day again. I am thinking next March or the following March but we will see. Again it was really fun to hear from you. Yo go girl! And if we don't e-chat before, have a great trip to my neighboring state!
 
This is such a wonderful update to read! It gives me hope. Life is wonderful isn't it? I am glad you are able to get back to it.
 
Great to hear from you again. I'm back at square one after a revision in March. I'm just glad that part of my life is over and I'll be trying hard to catch up withe the rest of the class of July 2015. It's great to hear how well you're doing. Enjoy your trip in June. I hope the old knee cooperates with your plans.
 
@Braunzie Great to hear your update, you're 10 days ahead of me, and I have your problem with standing still for long, as at parties or waiting for buses. I find if you sit down at a party or gathering nobody joins you, so in the end you either stay by yourself or stand anyway. I am not bad coming down stairs but like @Swish i am stiff especially standing up after sitting for a while. I suppose we will get better together - here's hoping
 
@Braunzie so great to hear how well you are doing! It's so nice to hear after all this time that those of us who had our surgeries around the same time have some of the same issues, or none at all or different ones. We are all so different. I still have some soft tissue issues that still bug me. I've had 2 steroid injections and may end up with arthroscopic clean out soon. We shall see. My other knee has been screeching out lately but I think I'll hold off until at least next January. We have a couple of weddings this coming fall and I intend to be on that dance floor one way or another. Keep posting everyone; it's great to hear from you!
 
@Braunzie ,
It's good to hear that you are getting your life back. :yes!: :yay:
That's what knee replacement is supposed to do.

Thank you for coming back and giving us an update.
 
@Braunzie I have had soft tissue issues, they have virtually cleared up with massage and hydrotherapy. Why not give it a try if you can. What type of dancing do you do? We are just about to go home after a weekend of ballroom and Latin American dancing.
 
Thanks for the update @Braunzie! Very encouraging. I am 5 & 4 months out and am finally getting back to kayaking and cycling. Not white water -- just flat -- and taking it easy. Hardest part about kayaking is getting to my feet at the end. So far I've always had someone to pull me up but have to work out a way to do it by myself. Looking forward to getting back to hiking in the fall and then white water kayaking after the New Year. I feel like I have finally reached a significant turning point but am going to be very careful not to over do it!
 
Hey! Great to hear from you! I've not been on much lately either because, like you, life has taken off!
I'm the "baby sister" and will be posting my 9 mon update this week!
Enjoy your vacation! My "old knee" is unhappy, too. But, I decided it needs to get with the program! I've had a cortisone inj as well as 3 gel inj since first of year. Ugh! The old crabby one holds back the new sports model!
Love to hear from you! I think of you often, especially in Costco!! Lol!
Big hug!
 
Hi all

I too am in the same class of 9 months

It's great to see we are all better off than before!

The little unconvinces like the clicking/clunking and the feeling of a band and the stiffness at times are worth the effort of having the ability to walk without a major limp to climb stairs and go down stairs alternating feet and to do the sports activities we enjoy

I have all the above but really have ignored them all

It's a hard decision to know when to do the other one. At the moment living off synvisc shots. So far as long as I can do what my new knee can do then I'll hold out....why ruin a good thing!

Maybe we can have a special if we all do our 2nd knees together!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom