Guest viewing is limited

TKR Brand New Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am officially two weeks post op today, and I am truly pleased with how well I am doing. I have in home PT 3x a week and she is very gentle and encouraging. She just left a little while ago and I am happy to say I reached 112 ROM. I sit in a straight back chair with a paper towel under my foot (my floors are hardwood) and slowly slide the foot back. When it won't go any further I push it slowly back with my other foot, exhaling as I go. I then slowly slide myself forward on the chair. It works for me because I am doing it slowly. If I try to rush it, it tightens on me. My quad lifts are another story but I'm making a little progress and can get the lift with her assistance.

My pain is extremely tolerable. I have moments where it hurts but most of the time I would call it discomfort, not pain. I haven't taken anything stronger than Tylenol since Wednesday. Believe me if I need it I will take it, but I just don't at the moment. I do the stairs once a day and spend my days on the first floor of our home. I'm using two crutches (the PT said no graduating to one crutch until I get that quad strength back.). And, I'm able to get about 6 or 7 hours of sleep at night, supplementing with a nap during the day.

I know every case is different, and as I plan to have my left knee replacedp this fall I realize that may be more challenging. But, so far so good!
 
Heidi, how wonderful, you will be so pleased with how you're doing, and 2 weeks out, that really is incredible. Well done. How often do you do your exercises in the day? I only manage to do my set 2 times. PT wants me to do them 3 x but I wonder if it's too much. The knee will tell me I'm sure. You're doing so well. Keep up the good work. Jenny :yay:
 
Heidi, what a wonderful update! Great ROM too! The lifts will come along. I'm glad to hear that your PT is gentle and encouraging. I had similiar wonderful PTs working with me. It's also great that you have been able to knock back on the heavier duty pain meds, but know you have them if you need them. I am so happy for you. :)
 
Just a quick post before I log off for the night, but I'm so excited - I did the quad lifts! My PT gave me several variations to try and helped me quite a bit Friday. I try them 4 to 5 times a day and this morning, ta da, I did it! I was so excited I yelled for my husband to come see. It made my whole weekend.

Funny thing is we were at our little lake house (went up Saturday for a one night stay) and I was just so happy to finally get out and go someplace that I think that seriously helped. I think all I needed was a change of venue! :)

By the way kimejen Jennie, my nice Aussie PT told me to try to do a couple of each exercise as often as possible. So maybe only 2 or 3 of each exercise but on an hourly basis if I can do it. That seems to work for me.

Night all!
Heidi
 
You are doing well 2 weeks post op! Hope you've enjoyed your wine!
 
Heidi, just read about your leg lifts. That is terrific. Isn't it exciting when it happens. I did the same thing, yelled out to hubby to come see. Foot was only just off the ground, but it was such an achievement. Well done girl!!! Being more relaxed at the lakehouse obviously did the trick. I will take the exercises info on board. I try doing a session of mine 10 of each 2 x day. Little and often might be more achievable. Great work. Hugs. Jenny:puppysmooze:
 
Sounds like that lake house worked wonders for you on the weekend! It would be so nice to just sit near the water and relax with the knee up of course! :yay:
 
We are having such cold weather here in the northeastern US, the lake is still frozen! I just stayed inside the house, sat by the fire and gazed out dreaming of warm summer days ahead. My two favorite activities are swimming and kayaking and I am focusing all my recovery efforts on those two things. My OS said that I should be able to get into my kayak by June.

And I did have a glass of wine Saturday night! (just one because of the warfarin) I sat there and sipped while hubby fixed dinner and thought to myself there are hidden benefits to a TKR.... :)
 
Heidi Every small accomplishment needs to be celebrated!! While in recovery, I plan to go to my "happy place" quite a bit. I will imagine I am lying in the sun, listening to the waves rolling in and out, and sipping my cold slushy margarita!! Everyone is welcome to join me!!! :martini:
 
Heidi, just read your entire recovery thread, and it gave me such encouragement, I'm sitting here smiling, and visualizing you sitting by the fire, looking out at the frozen lake.

I do love the beach too, and now I'm seeing myself lying in the sun with Cathy, sipping Margaritas! :rotfl:

Keep up the good work, girl - you are doing fabulously!!!
 
Sounds like my happy place too! Congrats on your achievements Heidi! It really gives me (and I am sure all of us with surgeries looming soon) such positive feelings and makes me smile too! :) Thanks for sharing all of your triumphs!!
 
Thanks for posting about your recovery. WIth pending surgery, your posts are very uplifting and encouraging!! It is wonderful thaat you are doing so well. I will look forward to your future posts. Not to be a pessimist, but what has been the hardest part so far??
 
The BOREDOM! Seriously, the pain can be managed, with work the new knee starts to work, the muscles regroup, and healing begins. But being on crutches and limited in your ability means a lot of time in the house and on the couch! If I watch one more dumb show on HGTV my brain will turn to mush! :gaah: I would love to get out and drive, even just run mundane errands. But a month or so of downtime is so worth it to get the mobility back.

Our little dog spent a couple weeks with family but she's home finally, so at least now while my husband is at work I have someone to talk to! :puppysmooze: And she never argues with me!

Heidi
 
Well, that is comforting as soon the boredom will go away as you start to do more things. When do you think you will be able to drive? Have you read any good books??
 
I have really enjoyed reading your posts-they are so encouraging to me since I'm scheduled for BTKR in May. I'm glad you are doing so well, keep up the good work. Maybe you can start driving soon and do away with the boredom. I know your little dog is a lot of company!! Take care and keep posting!
 
Hi Heidi, Just seen the news reports about the bomb blasts in Boston. How terrible for all of you living so close. People enjoying a marathon and the day turns out like that. Dreadful news. Hope you and yours are ok. How's your recovery today? Take care. Jenny
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom