Guest viewing is limited

TKR Brand New Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations, Heidi. Welcome to the other side! The journey continues!
 
I am very pleased for you and your shiny new knee Heidi, take it gently,
Toothfairy x :)
 
Hey Heidi! Well done you! :thumb: The first (and worst) part is over, the anxiety & worry about it can now be left behind and you can start the healing. :happydance: :egypdance: :dancy: Look after yourself, follow the bonesmartie mantra, don't take any guff from PTs & relax!!!! :puppysmooze: That's enough of me being bossy! Hope you get a good first nights rest. :bicycle2: :friends:
 
Hi all - first day post op and things are going well. The spinal wore off around 3:00am and I had a little more pain than I expected, though oxycodone and Tylenol cocktail eased it quite a bit. This morning my pain increased so they called for an anesthesiologist to come up and check. Turned out I had an occlusion in the line (a blockage essentially.) he straightened things out and blessed relief! Around 11:00 physical therapist came in and worked with me. Had me out if bed and walking with walker, then sitting in a chair. I just ate lunch sitting in the chair which felt downright human! He is coming back this afternoon and we are going to try crutches. Then I'm sure I'll be ready for a nap!
I am really pleased with the choice of spinal with nerve block for those of you considering options. I was sedated and not aware of anything, but when I awoke I was clear headed. One last thing, last night I had my first ever Ambien. That was a good decision, I was able to get some sleep. They were in every couple hours to do vitals and bloodwork and I was able to wake up and also go back to sleep after they left. :)

Will post more tomorrow!

New Knee Heidi
 
:flwrysmile: Wow, it sounds like you are doing wonderfully already! I'm so happy it's all over for you! Isn't it a good feeling that you no longer have to worry about the actual surgery? I know the relief was overwhelming for me.

Take it easy, and remember to take one day at a time. It won't be long and you'll be in the comfortable surroundings of your home. That will make it feel so much better. Follow all of the great advice you learn on this site, and your recovery will be over before you know it. Keep posting so we know how you're doing!

Take care, and Happy Easter! :flwrysmile:
 
You are going great Heidi :spin: :happydance: and I'm glad they were quick at sorting out your pain meds. I hope you got a good night sleep :sleep: :sleep: Love reading your recovery posts!
 
Wonderful to hear you're doing so well Heidi. Well done. Happy Easter. Jenny:yay:
 
Great news Heidi, you are making great progress.
Happy Easter,
Toothfairy x
 
Rough afternoon and evening yesterday, the combination of increasing pain and effects from meds gave me a really crying jag! Starting crying around 4 and the eater works continued until 6 I think. But a good cry can be healthy so I just went with it. Pain was really bad last night, by 10 I think it WAS a 10! They dosed me twice with oxycodone and Tylenol. Gave me an Ambien and I finally fellnasleep around midnight. The hospital doc came in this morning and said he saw I had a bad night and nit should never have happened. Strong IV pain meds were on order if I needed them and I should have been given them. My surgeon came in this afternoon and said the same thing. So now I know I have options and to speak up! This afternoon I feel much better, pain is a very manageable 2.
 
Make that water works, the water works continued! But, one thing I noticed yesterday was that the group of nurses I had last night were not the nicest. Not exactly nurturing! Everyone else has been so nice but these chicks last night were a bit rough around the edges!
 
Hi Heidi, sorry to hear about your bad night, I hope tonight is much better and pain free for you.
Take care, Toothfairy x :console2:
 
So now I know I have options and to speak up!
Yes---too often, we just go with the flow and go along with the ride---thinking that what the nurses or the OS's are doing will work, and we keep our mouths shut---but you have learned a great lesson---be your own advocate!

Congratulations on your trip to "the other side"! Please keep those great reports coming!
 
Praying you have a much more comfortable night. At least next time you will know you have the option to ask for more pain relief. Hang in there!
 
Hi Heidi, you poor thing. The nurses sometimes seem to make up their own rules as to how to treat you instead of doing what your OS has instructed. I got 2 long release pain meds one in the morning and 12 hrs later one in the evening. I still got pain during the day.They were very happy to give me panadol every 4 hrs but any stronger (which I was definitely allowed) I had to tell them where I was on the pain chart. I just told them my OS said not to get behind in my pain so if I started feeling any inkling of pain around the 5hr mark I just buzzed them and said I needed pain meds. Usually I would be given them without question of pain line but sometimes had to tell them pain level. I hope things improve for you and you have a better day. Big hugs coming your way. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
Last night was so much better, pain completely under control and I actually slept well. Today everyone was pleased from OS to nurses to PT. Walked twice with crutches, up and down practice stairs (4 steps up to landing, turn around and come down) twice. Going home tomorrow, woo hoo!
 
Last night was so much better, pain completely under control and I actually slept well. Today everyone was pleased from OS to nurses to PT. Walked twice with crutches, up and down practice stairs (4 steps up to landing, turn around and come down) twice. Going home tomorrow, woo hoo!
That is indeed great news and a great report!

Going home will help you immensely psychologically!
 
Yea Baystater! Hope that pain stays under control and you keep being able to get some sleep. :sleep: So glad the surgery is over for you and you are one step closer to a pain free knee! Keep us posted--those of us awaiting surgery learn so much from your threads. :)
 
Hi Heidi, you sound much brighter today. Amazing how getting that pain under control makes coping so much easier. Steps, well done. Enjoy going home, you will be so much happier there. For such a few days, you're doing so well. Well done. Have a wonderful day. Big hug. Jenny :friends:
 
Yes, it is great to be getting home. :puppysmooze:

Don't forget to ice and elevate. :yes: And obviously - stay ahead of the pain - keep those meds in line so the pain is manageable. :ok: Have a great homecoming!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom