Guest viewing is limited

TKR Brand New Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heidi, I live in Maynard, a ten minute or less drive from Emerson! Berlin is closer to U Mass Memorial and I'm closer to Emerson! But, like you, I went there because of my OS. Hopefully, Emerson will renovate.

You sound like you are doing great. I had a pretty decent experience myself. Not something I'd want to do again any time soon, but overall, each day brought slow and steady progress. The first couple of weeks were really hard, and I found myself crying at night, usually after dinner, like many have shared here. My appetite was gone, and I lost quite a few pounds during that time. Sleep was a problem for about 4 weeks in that I'd wake up either from the sweats from my pain meds, or just in need of another dose. Then it might take a while to fall back to sleep. But, my iPad kept me company; and it's amazing who you find awake on Facebook or on this site. My home-based PT had a TKR herself, and was looking at her second one in the near future, so she was amazingly empathic and encouraging. My first trip away from the house after surgery was on election day to vote, and I tried to take advantage of the late fall sunshine to sit outside, or my husband would take me to lunch. It did a world of good to get out of the house. I started to drive after my four week visit to my doctor, to the grocery store, and then to outpatient physical therapy, which started around that same time. I feel like it took me longer to gain full extension; I did not have full extension going into the surgery, and five months post op, I am still diligent about all of my exercises and stretches. I returned to my job (I'm an early childhood school psychologist) on January 2nd, about 11 weeks after my surgery. For me it was perfect timing. The following week, I returned to my indoor spinning classes. I haven't started riding outdoors yet, but it's been too cold, and I've been too busy with work. But that will come too.

You seem like someone with a positive attitude who is motivated; you are going to do great. What are you looking forward to being able to do again? I took my first "real" long walk last weekend in probably over seven years ... a three miler. It feels like a miracle that the bone on bone pain is gone. You have that and so much to look forward to!
 
Terry - wow, small world! I actually grew up in Stow and worked at Erikson's Ice Cream back in high school. I went to college in PA, met my husband there and we stayed in the mid Atlantic for 25 years. Raised our three children there and then in 2009 my husband's employer transferred him to Boston. I am still somewhat shocked that at this point in life I am back in MA.

We have a lake house in NH that we bought years ago and now that we are so much closer we spend a lot of time there (though I think it will be several weeks before I'm ready forth 2 hour drive up.) Summer at the lake is my big TKR motivator and my surgeon said if I keep up with the PT I should be able to get in and out of my kayak by June or July. I swim every day I'm there in warm weather so I know that will really help me a lot.

I'm really doing well and I feel more confident moving around the house. I am starting to feel a little frustrated at my limitations but I just remind myself it's short lived and it will be worth it to get my mobility back. The pain is manageable during the day but I have to stay ahead of it at night. I know what you mean about sleeping. I'm exhausted at night but every couple hours I wake up in a sweat or needing meds!
 
The world gets even smaller, Heidi. I grew up and went to college in PA. La Salle University to be exact. I've been in the Boston area for 25 years now, after meeting my husband who had moved here from New York state. AND, one of my all time favorite summer activities, besides road biking, is kayaking! We spend two wonderful weeks on Cape Cod at Waquoit Bay, where the kayaking is great and diverse. I was thinking today about kayaking, while taking a 2.5 mile walk out at Great Meadows Wildlife Refuge (the last time I was there - last summer - I barely made it around the basic trail, that's how much pain I was in). I anticipate getting in and out of the boat with greater ease. I still get pretty tight hamstrings, though, from cycling, and that always gets me while kayaking.

I am really happy for you that you are coming along so well. I'll bet you'll be able to get to the lake house sooner than you think!
 
P.S. I haven't been to Erikson's in a while, even though it's practically around the corner! I think they just opened for the season yesterday.
 
Terry, I think we are living in some type of alternate universe! I went to Gettysburg College, met my husband, spent the first few years of married life in NJ and then settled in the Lansdale PA area. His employer was in West Point PA and I taught up near Pottstown. I always missed New England (hence the place in NH) but we both loved PA and hated to leave. Our oldest son and his family are still there (we have a 2 year old grand daughter - another reason to get these knees fixed!) so we travel south a lot.

I can't wait to just go for a nice pain free walk (my left knee needs replacing also so once the summe is over that is priority.) I love walking the wooded trails around our place in NH but I never know when one of my knees is going to give out or just give me those awful knife twist pains. And my kayak is my favorite possession. When I get in it and push off from our dock I can feel my blood pressure go down!

The picture I'm using on Bonesmart is of our little dog snoozing on our boat last summer. It was tied up to the dock and she decided it was the best place for her afternoon nap. What a life!
 
My mother and my sister still live in Philadelphia, so I still get to PA too. You are going to have a blast being able to more easily "get down" (on the floor!) to play with your granddaughter.

Alternate universe indeed! So, now I have to ask, where in NJ did you live? Before I moved to the Boston area, I did my doctoral work at Rutgers; I lived in a little town called Manville, in central NJ, about 20 minutes or so from New Brunswick and Piscataway. Do you still teach? I am a school psychologist.

BTW, that is one cute pup!
 
Greetings, Baystater and Terry,

I'm not as tightly woven with all the places you've named but somewhat familiar, but my sister lives in Boston and we like to meet up on Lake Winnipesaki as I live in Vermont. Our son explored going to Gettysburg which was his first choice, but ended up in Florida instead. I love to be on or in the water - canoeing, sailing, tubing, kayaking whatever. I toyed with going to U Mass or the Baptist Hospital for a second opinion on my slow recovery, but it appears I'm finally starting to gain more ROM, so hopefully it won't be needed. For 4 months I was stuck with 105 as my ROM. I've recently gained 12 degrees.

We are finally seeing bare ground here. Snow has receded enough so it isn't outside the window, but still on the steeper hillsides.
 
And my husband's cousin teaches chemistry at Rutgers.
 
Terry, I know exactly where Manville is, we lived in Hillsboro and then moved to South Brunswick before moving to PA. My husband was working up in Rahway and I was based in New Brunswick. I worked for a French drug company at the time. Once we moved to PA and our own kids were school age I became a French teacher (I majored in French at GBurg.) I stopped teaching when we moved to MA though...just didn't want to bother taking the praxis! :hissy: And Martha - you live in one of the prettiest states in the country. We plan to retire to NH and I have a list if day trips I want to take once we do - 90% of them are over to VT! We still had lots of snow last time we were in NH and our lake was still frozen and snow covered. So so ready for spring... And glad too you are getting your ROM back. I keep reminding myself this TKR recovery can be a long process!

Last night was a good night - now 9 days post op and I sleep at about 4 hour stretches, wake up needing pain meds or a trip to the bathroom but I fall right back to sleep. Mornings are my best time. Pain is minimal to none - and this morning I noticed the swelling in the knee is really reduced. Even hubby commented on it. The result is that is I have more flexion this morning. I know I am risking the ire of the TKR gods by saying this - but I feel much better than I thought I would at this point! Hubby returned to work today so I'm alone but visiting nurse and PT come today so that will break up the day.
 
Hi Heidi, I have just caught up on your post. It is good to read that you are doing so well.
Great news.
Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :happydance:
 
Hi fellow Bay-Staters. I live on the Cape and am 2 weeks out from my RTKR. :dancy: i also went to college in PA (Allegheny College) and during my career spent some time in New Brunswick NJ as I worked for J&J. These were business trips as I worked out of Rochester NY and lived south of there for 21 years before retiring on the Cape 3 years ago. :yes!: I considered having mu surgery in Boston, but the Cape Cod Hospital and my Ortho MD were rated higher than some of the Boston hospitals. So far I'm pleased with everything...spent one week at a rehab place and am now home with home PT. Got my staples out today! :bow:
Lyn
 
So many people from MA. I live 10 min. south of Boston. I am still on the pre-op side, but do come here to see how people are doing. :SUNsmile:I hope everyone is well !!!!! Opening Day here, cooking out, GO SOX :happydance: :dancy:
Take Care,
Diana
 
So, Heidi, when I started college, I was a French major too (I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!). But I started taking psychology courses and decided I wanted that too and I already had so many language courses that I decided to dual major in French and Psychology. I obviously continued on the psych path, but I still have notions of getting back to my French someday.

Reading about your progress is wonderful. I remember waking up after a few hours and needing to go to the bathroom and wishing someone could go for me! I didn't want to have to get out of bed! That is super about the reduced inflammation. You are doing everything right. How did it go today being home alone? I remember that the first time my husband left me alone, he was more worried than I was!

A bientot!
 
Martha, I never get to Vermont, which is too bad. I used to live way up in northern Maine (after college and before my stint in NJ). My husband's niece went to Bennington, but I never got the chance to visit.

I am so glad that your ROM is improving. It must have been pretty frustrating to be stuck for a while.

I'm thinking these New England TKR'ers might need to find an equidistant spot to convene!
 
Hi fellow Bay-Staters. I live on the Cape and am 2 weeks out from my RTKR. :dancy: i also went to college in PA (Allegheny College) and during my career spent some time in New Brunswick NJ as I worked for J&J. These were business trips as I worked out of Rochester NY and lived south of there for 21 years before retiring on the Cape 3 years ago. :yes!: I considered having mu surgery in Boston, but the Cape Cod Hospital and my Ortho MD were rated higher than some of the Boston hospitals. So far I'm pleased with everything...spent one week at a rehab place and am now home with home PT. Got my staples out today! :bow:
Lyn
Lyn, I adore the Cape, and my husband and I have hopes of retiring there too. He grew up going to Brewster for vacations. Now, we love the Sandwich area, but lately we have been vacationing in Mashpee, near Waquoit Bay, for the amazing kayaking we can do there. I'm so glad that you were able to have your surgery close to home, and not need to go into Boston. I had mine in Worcester, actually, and I couldn't have been more pleased. Everyone thinks you need to go to New England Baptist, but not so!

P.S. I did a 6 month internship at J&J in human resources when I was in grad school. Helped me decide to stick with traditional school psychology instead of organizational psych.
 
So many people from MA. I live 10 min. south of Boston. I am still on the pre-op side, but do come here to see how people are doing. :SUNsmile:I hope everyone is well !!!!! Opening Day here, cooking out, GO SOX :happydance: :dancy:
Take Care,
Diana
Hi Diana,
Great to meet you. When is your surgery?
It is gorgeous weather here in New England for opening day at Fenway Park. I'm not a Sox fan, having grown up in Philly, but even more importantly, I'm married to a Yankees fan! (Diana, don't hate me!)
 
Hello Spingirl,
I am having LTKR on June 5, 2013. I have been around 2 of the biggest Red Sox fans ( husband & mom). My husband punched a wall & broke his hand watching a game when I first met him. My mom was a waitress & refused to serve a customer because he had a Yankee's hat on. :rotfl: ( true story )
Take Care,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Diana, your husband must have been very happy yesterday!

I wish I had known about bonesmart before my surgery. I didn't find this site until a couple of weeks after I got home from the hospital. I'm so glad I found it, though, even after the fact!
 
This sight really helped me out prior to my surgery - I knew I needed a TKR and I advocated for it but once it was actually scheduled I started worrying and wondering. I have never heard of anyone regretting a TKR but there is a certain fear factor :scary: I found so many reassuring threads on this forum. It was a nice balance to some of the scary stuff I watched on YouTube! :yikes:

Now that hubby has gone back to work the days are long that's for sure! This week though between visiting nurse and PT I have someone stopping in every day so that's wonderful. My pain is really manageable, even after PT. My OS downgraded me from Oxycodone to Vicodin and I find I can actually go anywhere from 5-10 hours between doses. I've been lucky I know! I have painful twinges but just massaging the knee helps so much. I'm really looking forward to walking without the crutches, I'm looking forward to getting out of the house. And, I'm looking forward to a nice glass of wine!
 
So, Heidi, when I started college, I was a French major too (I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!). But I started taking psychology courses and decided I wanted that too and I already had so many language courses that I decided to dual major in French and Psychology. I obviously continued on the psych path, but I still have notions of getting back to French someday.

Terry, this is too funny - it reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine met a new group of friends who were just different versions of Jerry, George and Kramer!
Heidi
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom