Guest viewing is limited

TKR Both TKRs July & September 2015

Sorry to disagree with your dear one, but you will have to manually raise and lower to get the warmed water out to go back to chill in the bucket before refilling your knee wrap. I know he means well.
 
Have to agree with polarbear60, I, too, have to lift the bucket to get cooler water and also to refill the cuff.
 
Have you got yourself a showere stool yet @Julie-Ann if not as you must live fairly near me, you are welcome to mine. It is not very big, as our shower is tiny and it was the only one that would fit in but I don't need it any more as the leg is stronger and the one I had done last November supports me very well. Just let me know if you would like it. You can send me a PM. If you like
 
@Majic Ooh yes please if I can get it picked up! If you pm me exactly where you are I will see if I can get someone to collect - I know someone who works in Cheltenham.
 
Today's update. Well, I took just one of the amitryptyline as I made my OH sleep upstairs so at least one of us got some sleep! That way if I had any unexpected nasty drug reaction, it wouldn't be so bad if I started on the lowest dose. Went to bed and both cats were fast asleep in his place next to me! Nice for some. Got undressed, into bed, tossed and turned for a good hour and they still hadnt moved so I resigned myself to two furry bed mates.

The amitryptyline took the edge off the neuropathic pain. It didn't get rid of it completely, but it reduced it sufficiently that I could handle. Took a while to get to sleep, and then I was up to the toilet after an hour and a halfs sleep, and toyed with the idea of taking another tablet but decided against it. All was good till 6am. Toilet again and took my 6am codeine, and much rejoicing at almost FOUR HOURS sleep! Cats still spark out lol. Back to sleep for another 2.5 hours sleep albeit restless and a bit painful. But after the last week I am NOT complaining.

The main woe today is dreadful sciatica down from my hip and lower back. I am sure this is from the hamstring tightening, but could also be due to so much sitting of late. Anyway, it's an issue. My body REALLY asked for a sleep at 3 pm but I tried in bed in the dark and just couldn't - due to the sciatic pain keeping me awake. For heavens sake, WHAT NEXT?????????

I feel silly moaning about it when my knee could be so much worse, as well I know from before the meds were sorted, but it's really bad. The main thing I'm glad about is that amitryptyline is for sciatica pain as well, and so hopefully will kick it into touch tonight and allow me to sleep.

Wish me luck......
 
Glad to hear you got some sleep. I have a cat I call "The Brick" because that's what it feels like I have beside my legs at night. (A nice footwarmer in winter, though.)

My lower back gave me lots of hassles for a couple of weeks around the 6-8 week mark, I think. I iced it when I iced my knee. That seemed to help, and eventually, it went away. I found the movement of pain during the healing process most interesting (except for the lower back pain -- I hadn't anticipated that).
 
Keep an eye on it. As you suspect, it's likely related to changes that you were compensating for prior to surgery. I did ask my PT about these things, and they were sometimes able to help (he suggested ice for the back instead of heat, because he suspected there might be some swelling there, and ice did help). In other cases, they tossed in an exercise designed to help whatever was bothering me at the time. This works if you have an interactive relationship with your PT people.
 
Thanks @PolarBear60
Nope the buttock pain is worse. It's at the back of my hip, in the buttock. The codeine amitryptyline etc hasn't touching it and I hesitate to ask the gp for yet more meds. Does anyone gave any ideas?

It's worse when I've gad the leg up a lot, so physiotherapist suggested I vary position to spend less time elevated. That helped daytime but at night it us awful pain. Like the worst headache ever, dull pain. Feels like the nasty ache when you press on a trigger point...

I am in bed at 3am with a hot water bottle on it, which is my latest attempt to get some relief.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ended up sleeping the night on a pack of frozen peas. Pain in the bum from a hard lump of ice better than the pain in my bum was before. This is bad. I think it's piriformis syndrome. Not because I have been googling but because I work in Pain Management reporting, and see lots of reports of patient complaints and their diagnoses. Soon as my doctor colleague is back from hols Monday (damn poor timing on his part to go away the day I have surgery) I'll be asking him about meds etc.

I notice my codeine is making em snappy and moody when it wears off if I forget and go over the 6 hours. Hope it's not addictive but I'm usually fine - will keep an eye on it. Hopefully it's just pain induced moodiness.
 
Don't think you can become addicted or dependent after a few weeks. Oxycodone made me foggy, but I was glad to be out of pain.
 
Thank you @Celle much appreciated. It's calmed slightly (good news) but spread out (bad news). Just gonna have to roll with the punches I guess.
 
@Josephine someone has offered to take me swimming weekly. The surgical staples are out, my op was 27 July. Is it safe to swim next week? Indoor pool. Thanks!
 
Thanks @Josephine. I didn't intend swimming, just walking up and down in the water, which I thought might be a good way to strengthen quads. Sorry I didn't make that at all clear! So I think activity would be fine but how long to ensure complete wound healing? Is it five weeks then? Many thanks
 
Hi @Julie-Ann i am so sorry to hear you are in so much pain, I have my BTKR on 4th August, and on medicine wise I am still trying to work out best combination as I easily naesuous and vomitted during past 11 Post Op days. Before my surgery, I have ok right leg to support my weight, but I always sat on shower chair to conserve energy, in kitchen area, I used a computer chair with wheels to slide been fridge, Cook bench, and has a bar chair for cooking and dishwashing area. As long as you have a shower chair, you will make it much easy for you to shower. I hope your appointment will go well. Just feel free to vent whenever you feel like, I have been there.
 
Back
Top Bottom