TKR Both TKRs July & September 2015

At least

[Bonesmart.org] Both TKRs July & September 2015
 
I asked my OS when I went for my post-op appointment when I could swim. I wanted to make sure he had a look at my healing incision to make triple sure there was no chance of infection. But I understand your eagerness to enter the pool and float around.
 
I made sure I got an ok from my OS before venturing into a pool. Nor would I put anything on my scar until he said so. After an infection, I wasn't taking any chances.
 
Hi there @Julie-Ann it's a long time since I caught up with you. I hope your pain In your bottom is much better now. It's bad enough dealing with a TKR that having to deal with something else can drive you to distraction. I have been struggling with a bladder infection since 4th august and am on my sixth lot of antibiotics. Tomorrow I go for a bladder scan to check that it is nothing serious, although Urologist thinks it is caused by the catheter I had during the op. I don't know why I had one as I didn't for my other knee, so had no bladder trouble at all.
 
Hi @Majic and all

I hope you're doing well – sounds as though you've had a rough time


So sorry for dropping off the radar. I've been very busy - the pain etc to 4 weeks post op was a living hell, and as the pain grew less and I walked more, my back got bad as the now straight left leg was over an inch longer than my right leg. The right was always previously my worst leg...

At 4 weeks I saw my surgeon (brought forward my 6 week review) and he was stoked at the healing and ROM etc. I asked him how soon he could do the right leg to prevent my back getting any worse.

Due to personal circumstances I'm restricted in my work after 8 October. I run my own business, and my only helper goes on maternity for a year in 8th so I HAVE to be back 100% at work full time from 9th or we get no income. The surgeon was willing to do it at 12 weeks post-first op. I therefore pushed him for sooner and had my second TKR on 24 September - at 7.5 weeks post first TKR.

Obviously it's been very difficult but I have to say that at 9 days post op the right knee was far far less painful and difficult. My only problem was that I acquired gastroenteritis in hospital immediately postop. That made life very difficult for me as I was projectile vomiting for the first 48 hours in hospital, rather than doing any rehabilitation! But that can't be helped. When I say that the right leg was much easier than the left, it wasn't just that I was better prepared. Four example, I have actually managed with nothing but ibuprofens paracetamol and tramadol, and had no neuropathic pain with the right leg as I said before, the left leg was terrible intervals of neuropathic pain and general pain levels.

So I am now a bilateral TKR, and have been kept so busy I've had a very full time for the forums, although I do thank heavens for everybody who helped.
 
Hi @Julie-Ann good to hear that your problems are finally resolving. I am now a bilateral as well. My first knee is complaining almost as much as my new one, probably because the new knee got so bad I could barely walk before I had it done, so my first (left) knee has supported the right for a very long time. OS says they will get better together. Here's hoping we are both now on the up.
 
It's good to hear that your second TKR is giving you less trouble than the first one , @Julie-Ann .

It sounds as if you are going to have to start work again very early. Do try and take lots of rest, ice and elevation breaks during your work day, if you can.
 
Those who have a second knee done so soon after the first are very brave. I would not be able to cope with that loss of function again. Hats off to you all!
 
@Josephine could you please advise? I'd be very grateful.

The right knee, done 7 weeks after the left is much less painful and seems to be doing well. But when I sit and don't have it elevated, it feels swollen like someone has tried to blow up the knee like a tyre. I then have to elevate and ice it and the issue resolves. Today I HAD to sit for 5 hours as I had to work. It's painful, and the pain gradually built. It looks swollen but more to the point, the knee at the bottom of the kneecap seems discoloured and purple, like bruising. Do you think I could have bleeding into the joint? If so should I go back to he surgeon?

There's no giving way, grinding etc only some clicking when I walk but no worse than the left leg which had the first TKR and a new kneecap interior surface.

The operation notes do say he had to trim a lot of the tibia and add spacers, if that mea anything.

Should I soldier on with ice and elevating or try to get In to the surgeon ASAP?
 
@Jamie please could you rename this thread? I don't seem to be able to do it myself. I'd like it called something like

Bilateral TKR July & September 2015
 
the knee at the bottom of the kneecap seems discoloured and purple, like bruising. Do you think I could have bleeding into the joint?
A photo would help.

please could you rename this thread? I don't seem to be able to do it myself. I'd like it called something like Bilateral TKR July & September 2015
Strictly speaking you're not a bilateral TKR. That term is generally applied to folk who had both knees done at the same time. Yours were 2 months apart so are two single TKRs just like me! And your dates infer you had both done so I have removed the word "bilateral" from your thread title. Sorry to be persnickety but people looking for BTKRs will do so because they themselves are having it done.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Your right knee is so new I'm not surprised it blows up if you're sitting for 5 hours at a time. Are you able to ice and elevate at all while you work?
 
@Julie-Ann what has happened to you? Are you much better and working hard, or are you worse and have problems ? Do let us know I am worried about you as you live fairly close to me. Hope things are going well.
 
Hi @Majic how are you??? Sorry I have dropped off of here. I've been doing fine. Knee pain all gone and sorted - just that "not my legs" sensation, numbness and loss of strength tow work on. So how are you?
 
:sigh:Hi @Julie-Ann I am so pleased for you, the last post you sent you sounded quite unhappy about the state of your knees so it is wonderful how things have progressed:wowspring::flwrysmile::happydance:

I have not so far been so lucky, and am one of those still posting about our troubles. On the plus side I can walk well and ballroom dance reasonably well, although we have forgotten some of our Latin American sequences, and as our teacher sadly died suddenly, it is difficult to find someone to teach us those again.

On the negative side because I had sciatica in my right leg and I became badly knock kneed I put an awful lot of pressure on my 1st knee both before and after the operation, when I had a UTI which took five months of antibiotics to recover from. This caused me to lose one and a half stone, and an awful lot of muscle. I then found that when my right hurt so did the left. I thought this would be temporary, but my OS said they would get better together, and he is being proved right. I still have some pain under my knees, especially when standing still, this after a while creeps down my shins for about two inches. I am also having massage on the muscles of my left leg which get so stiff and tight that I don't walk properly, which could be the source of some of my problems.
I'm glad to hear that your pain has all gone, it gives me hope that one day mine will too. At the moment I can't imagine a day without pain or painkillers, and wonder if it has all been worthwhile. If you have recovered I can too, it is just taking me longer.:sigh::shrug:
 
Back
Top Bottom