TKR Both TKRs July & September 2015

KarriB said:
Just see if you can change the title of your thread. I use an iPad and can't do that so if you tag @Jamie she can change your title for you.
Because you are so early in recovery there will be many different aches and pains due to the trauma of TKR surgery.

Change it to what? Sorry probably being dense. On iPad too. @Jamie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Now you titled this thread "pressure pain" but I don't think it's possible to do on an iPad so someone will have to change it for you.
 
For your pressure pain, you might want to try this.
If elevation increases pain, lie with your leg flat, or on a single pillow, length wise.
 
You described my problem exactly! It feels like there is a hard edge to the pillow under my knee. I'm going to ask my PT about it this afternoon. My OS is on vacation.
 
Please let me know the result! I suspect it may be some kind of phantom pain, sensing something that isn't there....
 
It's not a phantom pain....but it is real surgical pain. Both you and cairistiona60 are just a few short weeks out from your surgery. You are going to get the odd pains like this that will come and go. It takes a while for your soft tissues to readjust to their new normal alignment. You have lots of healing going on. You're walking differently with a new straight leg. You may have some swelling internally that you cannot see. There are a host of things that can give you these pains.

The thing to do is treat them with ice and pain medication. So, with that in mind, please tell me what you are taking for pain (medication name, strength and dosing instructions from the label, and how much/when you are actually taking them both day and night) and how much you're icing (length of time/frequency during day and night). We can work from there to get you more comfortable.

By the way, I did merge your new thread into your recovery thread. It is important to keep all your information in one place. Just use tags (like you did!) to pull us to your question or concern quickly. And I'll change your thread title back to your original one as you ask.
 
Thank you!

I'm on codeine phosphate now, 60mg 4x a day at 6 and 12 am and pm so equally spaced. Paracetamol 1000mg 4 x a day if which I take 3 and keep one in reserve for in the night. Ibuprofen 400mg 3x a day anti inflammatory.

I ice 5x a day at present for 20-25 mins. The hospital staff said no more than 20 mins at a time and no more than every 2 hours. But I gave a cryo cuff coming tomorrow just hope it fits my tree trunk legs.

Today first properly human day. Pain low enough so I feel functional. So I treated myself to a day sitting doing nothing! Just enough to prevent clots.....
 
So I treated myself to a day sitting doing nothing!
Or, proactive recovery programme of maximal single position maintenance to optimise soft tissue restoration processes.

Doing nothing really is good just post surgery, just a little movement is needed to keep things going.
 
@Jamie. After the night from hell, I called the doctor in desperation this morning who immediately prescribed amitriptyline. I am to take this at night, and he has prescribed the strongest dose if necessary. As he put it I'm "Not exactly a frequent flyer in terms of medication requests".

I feel so much better and less down now that I have some hope about getting some sleep.

My pain during the day is well under control with the codeine, and lots of ice. My new aircast cryo cuff arrived today. Unfortunately I ordered it while I was Rabid and desperate with pain, and managed to order the wrong one. Rather than the self contained self fillable model, I managed to order one with the ice bucket attachment for refilling. I have no idea how I managed to do that LOL. However, this one is better. It's great and easy, and the other one was a one size cuff. Not likely to fit me, methinks. For anyone with a large legs, I can confirm that the cuff of this one with the bucket cooler is 24 to 31 inches at the top, which even on my tree trunk gives me room to place a (small) packet of frozen peas inside the Velcro at the back of the knee, so I can get icing there as well as on the front. (Obviously I can't walk round with the pack of frozen peas but I can use those when sitting.)

Another silly little thing, but my remaining dog seems happier today. He was very low since the weekend after losing his partner on Thursday soon as I came home from hospital. Not only was I coping from the shock and loss of losing my one dog on top of my leg, but I was also very worried about the other boy. Today he seems much brighter because we have been playing with his toys with him. We couldn't really do that when we had both dogs, as the other dog didn't like toys at all, and neither did she like us playing with him! So he is having a bit of a new lease of life, with lots of one-on-one games which he couldn't get before, and he does actually seem a lot happier in himself - so I am far less worried about him on top of everything else.

I just hope all my new friends are having as good a day!
 
@Julie-Ann Really pleased to hear you've got some more pain meds and that you feel a lot better.

I have the same manual fill cryo cuff that you have and have never had any problem with it, I use a medium cuff so can't get anything down it at all, but it is excellent.

I'm glad also that your doggy is settling, it's always very difficult when you loose a pet, we had 2 cars and when one was ill and didn't return from the vets, the other one spent a few days looking for him before settling.

Here's hoping you're now over that awful part of your journey to full recovery. x
 
@Julie-Ann I certainly do. It was given to me when l had my left knee replaced 2 years ago. We fill up some plastic pudding basins with water, freeze them and then tip them in the water. Lasts for hours in the cooler bucket.
 
I have the one with the cooler bucket. Good idea for the peas behind the knee, because the wrap doesn't really help for that (I have two buckets -- got one from my dad after his second replacement, so sometimes I wrapped front and back). I just decided to spring for the autochill system for mine to use while we're on vacation in October and for my second knee surgery in April. The gravity feed model works fine, but I got tired of draining and refilling manually.
 
Well mine is going good - except for a blazing row.

1. Neither of us has had More than 2 hrs sleep the last 48 hours
2 he is convinced it will work by "heat exchange" and I do not need to manually raise and lower the cooler.
3 he wanted to rig up the cooler bucket from the terrace canopy so it drained in on its own. I told him he could do it if he was the one sat under the bucket of iced water! Lol

Ah well....
 
Back
Top Bottom