THR Boofit's recovery in Hong Kong

At only 3 weeks out you are still very much in healing mode. If the incision is dry and not inflamed, please don't worry. Do ice and elevate!
 
At only 3 weeks out you are still very much in healing mode. If the incision is dry and not inflamed, please don't worry. Do ice and elevate!
Thank you @Jaycey! I must remember this - that 3 weeks is still early days......
 
Had a rather restless night.

Went to bed at around 10:30pm, propped up in simulated recliner position. Fell asleep and was woken at around 12:30am by a level 4/10 pain running down from hip to lower leg. No matter how I rearranged my pillows and positioning I could not get comfortable, and I did not want to take any more painkillers as my stomach was also playing up. The half tablet of Zoplicone did nothing and I did not want to take more.

This lasted till about 2:30 am and I finally settled in supine position, wedged in on the sides with pillows, with small pillow under left knee and a large ice gel pack round my left hip and upper thigh. Managed to drift off to slumberland till this morning when the pain woke me up again at 6am. My left knee felt stiff and upper thigh felt leaden. There was also a throbbing pain shooting down the leg (which I tried to imagine were my nerves being fired up) , but this time the pain was only around a level 3.

Decided to get out of bed. After the usual bucket of things to get prepared for the day I decided to go for a walk.
The road outside our building is moderately undulating and since the sun was not fully up at that time of day, the trees provided shade for most part of the road.. Walked for 2.5 km, and chatted with a couple walking their dog who stopped to say they noticed I had not been seen for almost a month.

Felt good.
Now sitting on our balcony, with my coffee and Coke Zero, toast and marmalade, painkillers and :ice:
It's gonna be a good day....
 
It is past 2am in Hong Kong.
I have iced but am having what I hope are "healing pains" whilst lying in bed. It feels like intermittent bouts of electricity going down my left leg and the muscles seem to be threatening to go into spasm.
Could it be because I stopped taking Lyrica since two days ago as I have started having gastric pain - sort of like indigestion pains? :chinstroke:
I started having mild UTI symptoms a couple of days ago so as a precautionary measure also started a course of antibiotics (fear of prosthesis infection). I told my OS about this when I saw him on Friday and he had no problem with it.
As such it seems that (on top of my usual non hip related medications) I am taking many many pills three times a day and I am concerned that these many pills are causing or contributing to my gastric pain!
Hence stopped taking Lyrica in an effort to cut down on some painkillers. But maybe that was a mistake.

Apart from walking I have not been doing any other exercises since Friday (when I sat for hours in a wheelchair:groan:) so I don't think the shooting pains is caused by over-doing exercises. The pain seems less when I am standing, sitting and walking. It only seems bothersome in the middle of the night when I am lying down trying to sleep. So I am thinking maybe it is "nerve" pain and I have just taken a Lyrica pill (yet another pill yes:gaah:). See how it goes......

Enough of my mid-night moaning. Back to bed with another ice gel pack and see if the Lyrica does its job.....
 
Last edited:
Hi Boofit, I hope reading below helps you relax. I do believe what you’re experiencing is normal as described below. Hopefully this will allow you a peaceful nights sleep. :sleep:
Sweet Dreams!
am having what I hope are "healing pains" whilst lying in bed. It feels like intermittent bouts of electricity going down my left leg and the muscles seem to be threatening to go into spasm.
Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.

the muscles seem to be threatening to go into spasm.
Sometimes unexpected spasms of the leg muscles occur after surgery.
These cramps / spasms are an episode of pain, usually lasting from a few seconds up to a few minutes. They are caused by a sudden, intense involuntary contraction of muscle or muscle groups. The muscle suddenly shortens and becomes tight.

In an effort to avoid the spasms, it is recommended you stay well hydrated. Gentle stretching exercises may help reduce the chance of getting muscle cramps. Gently massaging a cramped muscle may help it relax. After a cramp the muscle may feel tender for up to twenty-four hours.
 
Hi Boofit,
For your leg spasms, do you have access to magnesium oil or something similar that can be rubbed into your feet and legs? Here we have a retail product called TheraWorx, a foam with magnesium that works very well for me. As a topical it doesn't seem to have the side effects that oral magnesium supplements have, and it works very quickly.
Also, if your nerve pain is more superficial, rather than deep, a topical might work for that also. I've had good luck easing femoral neuropathy pain with a 4% lidocaine lotion, or one of the diabetic neuropathy lotions. Both are sold OTC here.
I hope your troubles clear up soon.
 
Ah, yes... the errant zips and zaps as all the nerves come back on line :sigh:
I came on the forum rather panicked about these symptoms and was relieved to find it was not uncommon.
Seems like after a few weeks they only came about infrequently and finally abated, thankfully.

Hope today is a good day!
 
I hope reading below helps you relax. I do believe what you’re experiencing is normal as described below. Hopefully this will allow you a peaceful nights sleep
Dear Layla, thank you so much for this! I needed to read it to feel comforted:ok: And hopefully tonight's sleep will be better....

even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.
This is what I was feeling! Together with the feeling of the leg tightening up, unable to relax.. If this happens again tonight, I will paint a picture in my mind of electric currents running like lightening down my leg, bringing healing to my bones and muscles.

It feels like intermittent bouts of electricity going down my left leg and the muscles seem to be threatening to go into spasm

Fortunately the muscles did not actually go into spasm!!

:thankyou:
 
Last edited:
I came on the forum rather panicked about these symptoms and was relieved to find it was not uncommon.
@Mojo333, that expresses my feelings at 2am last night exactly! And then after feeling miserable, I thought to myself: somewhere, someplace, someone who has had THR has experienced this, and will be on BoneSmart to tell me how it turned out for them.

This is such a great forum and I am so touched by the kindness of strangers at other ends of the world posting to share what their experiences are/were. I am grateful to the strangers who stay online here to listen and take the trouble to say they understand what I am going through, and offer advice and words of comfort.

I appreciate all the kind words and helpful advice!
 
Last edited:
For your leg spasms, do you have access to magnesium oil or something similar that can be rubbed into your feet and legs? Here we have a retail product called TheraWorx, a foam with magnesium that works very well for me. As a topical it doesn't seem to have the side effects that oral magnesium supplements have, and it works very quickly.
@subie2021, I have suffered foot and leg spasms since I was young. My dad (who has passed) also had bad spasms and in those days there seemed to be nothing that he could do. Before this surgery, I was so scared that I would have foot spasms in the middle of the night (which is the usual time I get them) whilst I was strapped to the abduction pillow! So much so that I smuggled some muscle relaxants in:unsure:. Fortunately I did not have to resort to these contrabands:heehee:

The TheraWorx that you mention is something I would like to try. I don't think it is sold in Hong Kong but I did a search and see that Amazon sells it so I will definitely get some.
Thank you!!!
 
Today was a busy day and the great news is that I can get in and ride in the MX5 (Miata) that we drive!!:yes!::happydance: I cleared it with my OS when I saw him a few days ago, asking if I could start riding as a passenger in a roadster with low seat heights. My OS said: sure - no 90 degrees restrictions for the lateral approach, just don't do a figure of four move (abduction and lateral rotation). So, despite not having a good night's rest, I got up at 6 this morning and before 8am hubby and I were making our way towards the Prince of Wales Hospital (around an hour's drive) to collect my medication. (The prescription was sent to the pharmacy after my session with the OS late Friday afternoon, and the usual wait is around 90 minutes, so we decided to collect the meds first thing this morning instead of waiting around on Friday).

Then back home for lunch and then out again to handle a delivery of vacant possession of one of my rental properties. My tenant for this one is an IMS teacher and is returning to the States, probably for good, unless she manages to sort out family issues. She was astonished when she saw me, said she did not expect to see me in person today, less than 4 weeks after my THR. It was good to meet up and we had a good chat. I do like having IMS teachers as tenants - I have had a few and we have ended up as friends...

Now back home, had a shower and am relaxing in front of the TV with a lovely glass of sauvignon blanc!!
 
Cheers❣️
We don't have any classy wine drinking emojis just WC Fields wannabe with a dry martini
:cheers2:
Or double fisted alcoholic drinking MadDog 20-20 out of coffee cups.
:beer:

:heehee::rotfl:
Hope today is sweet!
 
What a great day you had! I’m happy for you. Sauvignon Blanc is my adult beverage of choice, when I want one. Hope you enjoy and sleep well tonight.
Things are looking up. You’re on your way! :walking:
@Boofit
 
Or double fisted alcoholic drinking MadDog 20-20 out of coffee cups.
:beer:
@ Mojo333 - this actually looks like me drinking Coffee and Coke Zero right now, except that I drink Coke Zero straight from the can!
 
What is an IMS teacher?
@Snoopy55 , she's a Montessori teacher.
There is an International Montessori School (IMS) very close by. I have had 5 people who work at the IMS as my tenants and all of them have been lovely, responsible and respectful in that they inform me of maintenance issues as soon as such arise and take care to handle their own responsibilities whilst living in the rental property, and leave with the place clean! I wish all my tenants were like them!!
 
I have iced but am having what I hope are "healing pains" whilst lying in bed. It feels like intermittent bouts of electricity going down my left leg and the muscles seem to be threatening to go into spasm.
Could it be because I stopped taking Lyrica since two days ago as I have started having gastric pain - sort of like indigestion pains? :chinstroke:
Well, I have gone back to taking Lyrica 75mg - it was probably too early to try cutting down on pain medications. And last night wasn't too bad. I managed to get almost 7 hours of sleep in 3 segments. Was icing for the mid segment.
For the gastric pains, I rather suspect it is the bombardment of different medications that is causing/aggravating it. I started taking Greek Yogurt yesterday and staggering my intake of medication and today it feels better.
(I used to have greek yogurt with chia seeds and fruit for breakfast a couple of years ago, but somehow changed to toast and butter or porridge - craving for more carbs maybe?)

This morning in bed I tried rolling onto my un-operated side. As I was told by the OS to avoid abduction and lateral rotation of the operated leg (the letter of 4 position), I rolled over in one piece, with 2 pillows between my legs.
Felt good for a while, but after about 20 minutes, I started having pain inside the operated hip and in the outer thigh and lower leg. So rolled back into supine position. Did some gluteal squeezes, quadriceps tightening, ankle pumps and it kinda felt better.
Not sure what the cause of the pain in hip was, but decided to maybe do it a few more times over the next few days and see what happens.
 
Last edited:
It is good to have this community for feed back though isn’t it?
Your doing fantastic and don’t worry about your scar. It’s a badge of how strong you are. It will be fantastic to have the pool when your ready for strengthening those muscles.
Thank you Lyla. I haven't seen my scar yet! It is still covered in the hospital waterproof dressing that I came home with:heehee:.

Have been doing lots of protection preparation work before each shower I take: First wrap the upper part of the left leg around with cling film and seal the upper edges and lower edges with tape. Then use a trash bag (with both ends cut) to go over head and wear like a mini skirt (stuck to the waist with tape (so as to minimize water seeping into the cling film whilst I am washing my hair or upper body.
I shower standing up, but wash my hair with head down (like one would do over a sink). Hubby installed strong handrails onto the walls, and initially I would hold onto these rails whilst he washed my hair for me. But now I can stand quite well, so I wash my hair myself. I wash my upper body, arms and other parts (ahem) myself, but hubby still helps me wash my feet and especially my toes!
I guess there are probably easier ways, but this has become our afternoon routine ever since I got home!

And YES! As you so rightly put it - it is so good to have this community for feed back and support!!:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

My ribs front and back hurt so bad it pushed me into using walls and furniture.
Oh dear! So sorry to hear that you are having this sort of pain. Would taking painkillers help? I read on your thread that you have cut back on the pain meds, maybe not cut back so much?
Do be careful using walls though. Take it slow and steady....
Do you not have tagaderm there ? It’s a film you can buy at the drugstore. I used it after the bandage came off to keep it dry. My hair is down to my butt so it takes time to wash. I can’t short shower like they said so I covered it with that. It’s much easier. The nurse didn’t know I had a special bandage when I left. It seems the one I had I was able to shower with so I sponged bath for 2 weeks!!
 
Ahhh the pain meds. Me and gabapentin don’t get along. Those had to go as quick as possible. I’m on smaller doses to wean me off. I’ve had then 4 yrs and my tolerance is 2 yrs. make me sick and dizzy. The problem is my tordol I’m not allowed because my surgeon don’t allow those because Bone growth ? Strong anti inflammatory. Only suppose to have 5 days max but I been on them for years. Plus I have to take asa as a blood thinner
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom