Guest viewing is limited

TKR BoneSmart Works!

@Jaycey I was very anxious as the procedure, though brief and routine, would push certain visceral panic buttons. The anesthesiologist was super supportive in preop when I explained that there would be a very fine line between me being "able to talk" ( per the surgeon's need) and me abruptly moving my head in panic mode. He was using versed (midazolam, a very short acting benzo; don't know its UK name) and fentanyl just like in TKAs, and he totally aced it. Of course the versed does give the blessing of retrograde amnesia, so if I was awake enough to talk I have zero memory of it.
When the time comes, double check the standard sedation. I'm betting you'll be fine!!!!
 
Midazolam (versed) used in the UK.
Of course the versed does give the blessing of retrograde amnesia, so if I was awake enough to talk I have zero memory of it.
I could deal with this!
 
@mendogal
I just finished reading through your thread. How encouraging. I joined the ODIC today. Think it's going to be a long night. Like you, I'm getting out and staying out!
I'm going to look for a tea with the ingredients you mentioned. Hopefully that will help me sleep.
 
@mendogal
I just finished reading through your thread. How encouraging. I joined the ODIC today. Think it's going to be a long night. Like you, I'm getting out and staying out!
I'm going to look for a tea with the ingredients you mentioned. Hopefully that will help me sleep.
Ah yes, the ODIC... like "go to jail" in Monopoly!... I hope tomorrow is a better day for you!
 
You are brave to have cataract surgery! I will be facing that in the future and the thought just terrifies me!
Same here- I have very early cataracts too. Not looking forward to it- but eye surgeon I saw when I had another problem said the new lenses they use are getting better all the time...
 
You are brave to have cataract surgery! I will be facing that in the future and the thought just terrifies me!
Same here- I have very early cataracts too. Not looking forward to it- but eye surgeon I saw when I had another problem said the new lenses they use are getting better all the time...
The process was easy and the recovery as well. Feel free to PM me any questions or concerns.
 
I suggest you get checked for irregular corneas. My vision worsened quite a bit after my cataract surgeries. Irregular corneas are rare but do happen. I'm proof of that! Your implants can be adjusted to adjust for these problems.
 
FIVE MONTHS POSTOP :dancy:

I just returned from a two night trip to San Francisco via buses to visit a dear friend (high school vintage) whose spinal surgery early this year makes travel very uncomfortable. Several milestones happened!!!!

Stairs!!! Ukiah has very few two story public buildings, so I haven't dealt with flights of stairs since leaving a third story rental in SF 15 years ago. My friend lives in the upper reaches of Bernal Heights, where houses and yards adapt to topography. One looong flight from ground to first floor living room. A short staircase to kitchen and dining room. A loong flight to the bedrooms. So my new knees were doing multiple flights at least three times a day for three days. Wheee!

Sunday morning we walked her neighborhood for about an hour. Sunday afternoon, after dim sum lunch, we walked from the inner Mission to the outer Mission (pausing to buy a box of rose flavored Turkish delight I need), then after a short break in Precita Park, the steep streets of Bernal. That afternoon walk was over 3.5 miles.... My goal for November was to achieve a 3 mile walk! My real limitation is deconditioning and stamina.

Best of all: minimal discomfort or extra swelling! I had a scheduled ortho PA appt on the way home today. She doesn't measure but was thrilled with my obvious ROM and walking, said x-rays looked great, and felt my residual swelling at 5 months wasn't unusual.
 
Janet, you are doing so well and proof that the Bonesmart way works for you! What an inspiration you are for others!
 
You are definitely an inspiration! That is an awesome report. Glad you got the Turkish Delight that you needed!
 
My goal for November was to achieve a 3 mile walk! My real limitation is deconditioning and stamina.
I been going to the gym( free due to Medicare medigap insurance). Been working on my conditioning and strength. The treadmill x30-45 minute, bike either recumbent or regular. I carefully use upper body machines for strength.
Another gem I found is a website called Senior Planet.org All the FREE classes are design for us older folks! It‘s sponsor by AARP. ( don’t need to be a member). My endurance has improved exponentially using all these tools. If quoting the website is not allowed, please delete.
@mendogal
 
Wow! Lots of walking on that little getaway.
Hooray for progress. It sounds like you really made the most of your visit.
May it only get better!
@mendogal
 
I been going to the gym( free due to Medicare medigap insurance). Been working on my conditioning and strength. The treadmill x30-45 minute, bike either recumbent or regular. I carefully use upper body machines for strength.
Another gem I found is a website called Senior Planet.org All the FREE classes are design for us older folks! It‘s sponsor by AARP. ( don’t need to be a member). My endurance has improved exponentially using all these tools. If quoting the website is not allowed, please delete.
@mendogal
I also have a free gym membership via medigap. I wasn't able to use their stationary bikes until recently (big bikes vs short legs!) but am starting to use them for building endurance, plus aiming for cardio speed on a 1/2 mile hill loop by my house. Once my knees are cleared next year I'll return to using strength machines for a specific regimen I was taught by a PT years ago. Classes are not my thing; I need to go very internally to do any workout that isn't walking!
 
Once my knees are cleared next year I'll return to using strength machines for a specific regimen
You have to wait until the ONE year check up for machines? My OS at 2 month check up told me to live my life. No further follows up.
 
Once my knees are cleared next year I'll return to using strength machines for a specific regimen
You have to wait until the ONE year check up for machines? My OS at 2 month check up told me to live my life. No further follows up.
If it takes a year to heal a TKA, that's how long I will wait. Playing the long game.
And yes, somewhere between my first and second knee dates, in April, a final set of x-rays and final check in with the OS is their protocol.
 
Completely agree with you on this, @mendogal.

We need to heal completely before we start to train, or we may set back our recovery.
 
In the late morning I did the recumbent bike at my gym 20 minutes, and alternated between level 1 and level 2 resistance. About 15 minutes in my baby knee complained a little so I adjusted to let my teenaged knee assume most of the powering and let the baby coast along for ROM.
Followed it with three upper body machines, nice and slow, focusing on structures and breath.
No addition to my baseline baby knee swelling, and I just realized I have had zero acetaminophen so far today!
I think it's time to find a local certified lymphatic drainage therapist (will call local breast surgeon's office; they must refer to them all the time). The swelling pattern is quite specific and unchanging.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom