Guest viewing is limited

TKR BoneSmart Works!

Another San Francisco trip done - three days, two nights, multiple bus rides - time spent separately with three dear friends.
The main walking was done yesterday, Monday, the full day spent there. A 1 1/2 mile walk to the Ferry Building, a break to sit and chat over chai lattes, a 1 1/2 mile back to rest and elevate for a while before a half mile walk to Yerba Buena Gardens to meet a different friend and walk around the Gardens, MOMA's free areas, and the other area museums (closed Mondays but it was too nice to stay indoors), the a rest for another chai latte and the 1/2 mile walk back.
My knees did fine. One heel was bugging me a little - a reminder that there's a reason I use inserts in some of my minimal shoes. It was fine today walking to the bus stop and then walking a little in Santa Rosa between scheduled buses.
 
Sounds like a fun jaunt! Everything works better when you remember to rest and elevate.
Heel pain.. sounds familiar!
I don't understand why women can't have gorgeous shoes/boots that also offer some support!
 
@sazzie ... Hi! You asked me, on a third member's thread, how my swelling is now.

My R knee at 6 months post op is still visibly swollen - unlike my earlier L TKA, with zero obvious swelling at the 4 month mark (As our surgeons like to tell us, no two knees, even on the same person, are alike).

The swelling is reduced in the morning and worse in the evening (YES I should be elevating more during the day and in fact will go do so now!!!)... there is both generalized mild swelling around the sides and front plus a discrete firmer area curving directly around the inner side of the kneecap.

It doesn't affect my ROM or function, just contributes to thr evening generalized lower front thigh ache!
 
@sazzie ... I add ... It still doesn't want ice. There's soft tissue swelling but it doesn't feel.inflamed or like it wants ice or heat.
Though I might try some armica or herbal warming salve.
 
Well I achieved a milestone yesterday.

I am working informally with a couple of other senior former martial artists, leading them in sessions focused on balance, structure, and re-practicing rolls and falls. I never ever ask someone to do what I can't demo myself.

Yesterday halfway through the session it was clear THEY were mentally and physically ready for the next step. But was I?

YES!

We all progressed to doing a couple of forward rolling breakfalls onto the super soft 10" thick "crash mat."

Then we all walked into a free fall back rolling fall on the dojo's sprung floor (the type of floor gymnasts use). Twice. Not more because I'm not crazy.

It was incredibly liberating. My knees tolerated it fine yesterday. Ms. Babyknee at six months is slightly more swollen today. It was worth it!
 
Last edited:
Congratulations! Thats a big deal and so glad that Little Miss Righty rolled with the punches... haha .. sorry, couldn't resist.
I hope you rewarded your knees with rest and ice?
Can just imagine your toothy grin after this particular session!
 
Congratulations! Thats a big deal and so glad that Little Miss Righty rolled with the punches... haha .. sorry, couldn't resist.
I hope you rewarded your knees with rest and ice?
Can just imagine your toothy grin after this particular session!
LOL!!!!
They didn't need *any* TLC last night. Today I did elevate 45 minutes in response to the slightly increased swelling. It wanted no meds, no ice, no extra rest!
 
Omg, this terrifies me to think of you falling with your fresh your baby knees :yikes:
Obviously you know what you’re doing and it sounds like your knees handled it great!
But yikes!! I would love to see video of these moves. Can you point me to something online, @mendogal ?
 
Omg, this terrifies me to think of you falling with your fresh your baby knees :yikes:
Obviously you know what you’re doing and it sounds like your knees handled it great!
But yikes!! I would love to see video of these moves. Can you point me to something online, @mendogal ?

It's what I do/did. In a typical aikido class I might have fallen/rolled 100 times. When you know how, it's relaxed, and it's a wonderful feeling.
 
That is amazing! Congratulations!
 
Great to have that muscle memory. It reminds me of the saying ”When is the best time to plant a tree? 20 years ago.”
 
Thanks for posting! Very interesting and not what I was picturing.
 
Six months and a few days on the baby knee (which I hereby decree is a toddler because instead of squalling all the dang time it now just excaims NO!!! sometimes, seemingly at random)...
milestones the past few days ...
1) we have a large regional park at one end of town, encompassing large acreage of of oak trees, manzanita, and madrone, a creek, serpentine outcroppings... the entry walk from parking is up a long, decent grade before myriad narrow trails branch off. I last walked there over 2 years ago, before my L menisci blew out. Yesterday we walked non stop to the top of the main walk, nearly 20 minutes, and after a brief stop, back down and to the car. I'll keep going back as weather permits, building strength and stamina to do the trails. No swelling or pain resulted, just normal muscle exercise aches and minor discomfort from tendons.
2) the toddler R knee has suddenly decided to lose a lot of its "baby fat" ( I love a good metaphor!) - aka swelling - at the same time I'd realized my R lateral quad wasn't firing as effectively as I'd expect. So I've been doing targeted activation like I did immediately post op, several sessions a day, and it seems like it's starting to pay off.
 
Last edited:
That was quite a walk you two new babies did, especially up and down hills! I found going down much harder than going up, and look at you, you have already done it!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom