Guest viewing is limited

TKR BoneSmart Works!

Lest it seem like rose-tinted glasses: I still stiffen terribly with prolonged sitting, especially after dinner when there's also the return of deep lower thigh ache. This is regardless of my activity level. But I do have faith that, as with my January knee, this June knee will continue to improve and one day I will realize... Hey! No ache!
 
My 6 and a half year old knee still gets stiff when I sit too long, but we all know it’s a drama Queen! :heehee:
 
I still stiffen terribly with prolonged sitting
Member Eman85 often reminds us that it may be hard to decipher recovery pain from the normal stiffness many of us experience naturally with an aging body. Only Eman85 says, it may be more about the date on our drivers license. Like the Tin Man needing the oil can.
 
I still stiffen terribly with prolonged sitting
Member Eman85 often reminds us that it may be hard to decipher recovery pain from the normal stiffness many of us experience naturally with an aging body. Only Eman85 says, it may be more about the date on our drivers license. Like the Tin Man needing the oil can.
It is indeed a good point to take into consideration.
My joint laxity creates minor problems, but largely avoiding age-related stiffness is a positive side benefit. The issues PTs seize on as tightness are lifelong structural issues unresponsive to stretching, and my knee stiffness is purely postop and anticipated.
 
Now THIS is a milestone!
Yesterday I got down on the carpet to do some clamshells and Pilates... and when I was done I got up and went into the living room and sat down... and realized I had NO IDEA *how* I had gotten up.
Did I rely almost entirely on arm power? Did I partly kneel on the earlier, older knee?
It's the first time since my first TKA in January that getting up required no problem solving; apparently the body just did whatever it was comfortable doing!
 
It would have puzzled me enough...to go do it again!
Awesome that it came naturally and didn't have a negative effect on you afterward.
You're on your way, mendogal! :yes!:
@mendogal
 
Another milestone, one that has me giggling...
I got up, did my usual AM chores, had tea, had breakfast, went out for the 3/4 mile hill loop walk, was prepping lunch.... At noon I realized I hadn't taken ANY Acetaminophen!!!!!
Took one "just in case"!!!! :heehee:
 
My right knee is 4 months old!
I've been on a plateau for ten days and given how well I've been doing I'm not stressed about it. Just recording things.

There's recalcitrant localized swelling just lateral to the lower patella and my guess is its connected to issues since surgery with my lateral quad not engaging as well as the medial - it's not affecting my gait once I get walking.

Overall the knee is more swollen than the L was at 4 months. And yeah I haven't been fully elevating it much recently - it's been difficult to elevate and to exercise the past ten days with the roof reconstruction project recently moving into our courtyard and the interior of the house, rather than outside. Fortunately tomorrow they are DONE and we get the house back and with it my daily rehab and rest routine!

I have increased my Acetaminophen to 2000-2500 mg daily and am still walking a good distance every few days and aiming for a three mile walk within the coming month!
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary, mendogal!
Enjoy getting your house and routine back again. Good luck with increasing your walking distance too!
I hope your week is a good one. :) :-) (:
@mendogal
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary, mendogal!
Enjoy getting your house and routine back again. Good luck with increasing your walking distance too!
I hope your week is a good one. :) :-) (:
@mendogal
Thank you Layla
 
Now THIS is a milestone!
Yesterday I got down on the carpet to do some clamshells and Pilates... and when I was done I got up and went into the living room and sat down... and realized I had NO IDEA *how* I had gotten up.
Did I rely almost entirely on arm power? Did I partly kneel on the earlier, older knee?
It's the first time since my first TKA in January that getting up required no problem solving; apparently the body just did whatever it was comfortable doing!
Love this,
 
I was planning to post this afternoon after a routine postop ortho PA appointment. The office called before we set off for the hour drive to say both the surgeon and the PA had been called in for surgery, so we rescheduled. So here's a status update.

L TKA will be 9 months old on Halloween. It has excellent (unmeasured) ROM, is never swollen, has a residual numb patch below and lateral to the patella that doesn't bother me, and rarely complains - I'm not in a position to overchallenge it because of its "baby sister"!

R TKA is 4.5 months old. It has some residual swelling behind the knee and a rounded patch just lateral to the patella, plus generalized swelling in the evening if I've been active. It's happy walking 2+ miles or doing 15 - 20 minutes of yardwork or15 minutes on the recumbent bike. It's overdoing it at this point to do more (ask me how I know!) so I'm happy to stay on that plateau for now. Extension is comfortable for sleeping on my back; on the floor it's quite evident it's not at full extension. Flexion is functional for stairs and squats but still sometimes hurts getting into the driver's seat.

Most days I take 1500 - 2000 mg acetaminophen. Overall I am happy with the ongoing recovery and my knees are more functional than they were preop.
 
What a great and sensible recovery you are having! Letting your knees be the bosses is the key. If one listens and obeys them, their reaction will be much more favorable!
 
So I had a cataract surgery yesterday... more fun with short acting IV sedation :sleeep: that's three body parts replaced in one year (four if you include a dental crown replacement).... I'm hoping to keep all my remaining bits and bobs in 2024, though I suppose I'm out of warranty by now!
Back to knee topic: my younger knee, the R, suddenly in the past two days has gotten markedly more accepting of me sitting on the couch after dinner. It wants fewer, shorter walks.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom