THR BoneSmart = best recovery!

@ceezee Such a good report! I like everything your Dr told you, the Mackenzie method is very helpful, well, I've heard others praise it and I'll be interested in how you fare with it.
Gld you are doing so well, you are bouncing back! :loveshwr:

I live in the woods. I havent had a trick or treater ever.
We gove candy to the community center which is "downtown"
I looked up the McKenzie method and it may be useful. Tried it on the bedroom floor
Not sure I want to pay $45 for someone to watch me do it.

Good morning, @ceezee. Great report from the spine doc, well--as great as it can be as you're still living with discomfort--but no needles (shudder...) for now seems like a good result. I hope the PT sessions for that Mackenzie method are helpful in easing your back pain. I agree that most of us as, ahem, we are pushing on in life are bound to have some back issues. Combine that with hip replacement and it's a recipe for aches and pains. I have arthritis in my lower back and pelvic area as well, in addition to my poor hips, so being back in PT for now I'm hoping to work on hips and lower back and knees. It's always something, isn't it?

@Barbaraj isn't that being pushed along one way in life? We try to push the other way and .. it does not work.:heehee:

I worked some McKenzie stuff in the pool .. And I was able to get my hip flexors to get my foot above my knee in the water and also do kick backs clearing the water. Way fun! Not sore ( yet.. hope never!)

I’m still having problems going up steps. My right leg simply isn’t strong enough and my glutes are so sore and painful when I try. New plan: I’ve decided to go back to using a cane on my home stairway to the second floor. I figure it’ll keep my posture better and provide needed support as I build strength. Going down is fine and I don’t even need the railing.

Tonight it’s off to a steak house for dinner. The Capital Grille is running a special of waygu hamburgers and a first rate glass of wine for a set price that’s basically the cost of the wine.

Tomorrow’s plan is some gardening in the front. Some weeds are taller than I am.:holysheep:

Sorry the steps are giving you a hard time, like the idea of using the cane again for a while. Would think better safe than sorry and definitely want to keep your posture up

To be honest, I'm thinking of using mine a bit again, been having those nasty/annoying zips and zaps in my thigh. Hoping it's just our silly weather here going from summer to winter and back to summer. Some of my other arthritis/stenosis issues have been rearing their ugly head as well.

Liking your plans for dinner, sounds great. Haven't tried th waygu burgers though the have them at our grocery store. Enjoy!

I think that's a good idea @ceezee, it's still rather early days for you since you began to be fully weight bearing. Those gluteals have forgotten how to do their jobs..
@Elf1 glad you are going to keep a cane near, it's better to be safe than sorry.
I keep one in my car, just in case of a day where I need it. So far, so good but I sure do remember having a slip and almost fall with the first hip that put me in a world of hurt. So I feel better with Ms. Cane as back up in the back seat!

NOw I am off to google Waygu burgers..

NOw I am off to google Waygu burgers..
They were soooooo good. The offer is until November 17th. Get them while you can!

As a side note, their blackberry sidecar plus the glass of wine is working as well as my three glasses of wine approach. The hip feels great (but I haven’t tried going up stairs yet...).

Oooh, how was that dinner at Capital Grille? We have one in Seattle, too, and I've been once--lobster macaroni and cheese, hideously expensive but fabulous. It was a bit disconcerting when, at meal's end, the waiter gave business cards out--to my brother and husband, but not to me. I certainly didn't want a business card (why?!) but somehow felt unreasonably slighted and as if this was a sexist gesture of some sort. Hmmm...

Good idea to resume the use of your cane, sensible and will allow you to take those stairs more easily. You are so newly fully weight bearing that a cane will really help. Happy Monday!

Last edited:
I find that The Capital Grille is always excellent. The portions are large so we usually share almost everything and we generally sit at the bar to get the bar menu. It’s more reasonable and I even though I don’t like lamb, their lollipop lamb chops is one of my favorites. :heehee: I also get the incredibly expensive porterhouse steak occasionally but I get that meal plus 2-4 additional servings out of it. Those leftovers make a wonderful Beef Stroganoff. And we use some American Express points to get gift cards to use there.

I worked in IT my whole life mainly with men and often had to stand my ground. I wouldn’t have let the waiter get by without giving me a card. I’d consider it a life lesson and good learning experience for him.

Today my prominent discomfort has moved to a new spot. Right below my knee in the front. Crazy. I’m sure it’s from my gait changing and getting better. But all in all, it seems to be generally improving.

Hi Fellow Foodie! I too struggle most with going up stairs
I find that after a dozen my op leg is too weak.
It used to be three.
Hang on it will get better!
@Barbaraj Men. sometimes they don't think
and their social acuity is nil
I worked as a medic in a fire dept
While they never belittled me sometimes they just didn't think about what they were doing

Yeah, I can do three and then it’s toddler steps. It screams to me: nope, can’t do more, don’t even try. I have to keep drumming into my head that it’s not even been 6 weeks since I was allowed to walk on my right leg. My cane approach seems to be helpful so far.

Well, @ceezee, remember that toddler steps are STILL steps, so remember that and use that cane for help as needed. You know at some point it won't be needed but right now it's helpful and that's all that's important. And you are so right, at only 6 weeks out from full weight bearing it's understandable why you still need a bit of extra help on those pesky stairs. Oh, and by the way, a blackberry side car sounds delicious! Happy Tuesday!

I realize I basically hijacked @mainegirl1’s thread to talk about Thanksgiving and cooking. :no-fin:

On the brighter side it must mean I’m much less focused on my hip and it’s definitely getting better.... Yup.

Today we’re off to Longwood Gardens to see the Sogetsu Ikebana installation that is going away soon to make room for their incredible Christmas displays. This will entail a lot of walking and will be good for me. I haven’t done a whole lot since Montréal. I‘ll take some preventive Advil before we head out. My right knee is still acting up along with the other places. My gait is pretty darn good though.

Hello :wave: and a good morning to you!
I've heard the Christmas display at Longwood Gardens is beautiful!
I'm not familiar with the other exhibit you mentioned, I'll have to look it up.
It's wonderful you're getting out to engage in this activity today, you've been doing so well! I hope you fully enjoy in comfort.
Have a great Friday! :)
@ceezee

PS your menu sounds lovely and effortless for you. I'd be a wreck and look like this :bawl::hairpulling: Unfortunately, I'm not into cooking.
Since decorating is my thing, I'd be full on into the tablescape and place settings....but the bowls and plates would be empty:rotfl:

Since decorating is my thing, I'd be full on into the tablescape and place settings....but the bowls and plates would be empty:rotfl:
Don’t get me started on Thanksgiving again or I’ll have to tell you about the cornucopia I’m making for the centerpiece. To say nothing of the place cards I’m doing in calligraphy for the seating. :loll:

Longwood Gardens is incredible in every season and their Christmas display is amazing. In the summer they have magical fountain displays. They also have both wheelchairs and scooters to use if you can’t do all that walking. And there’s and ton of walking.

I’m off to bundle up as it’s just above freezing here and the wind is up. brrr.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom