THR BoneSmart = best recovery!

@ceezee Nice to see you are feeling better. Especially too, your appetite, I have the same problem when I'm upset I can't eat, the opposite of my friends who turn to food to console themselves when feeling blue. It's hard to eat when you have no appetite and harder to explain to people who have never experienced it. Glad yours is coming back.
 
Some better news today.

My primary doctor, who is amazing, is putting me on gabapentin for the searing pain I’m still having in my left leg due to the pinched nerve. It’ll take a while to work but won’t inhibit bone growth. It’s been so slowly getting better but I still can’t tolerate even a sheet on it overnight. She also thinks I need to definitely be using crutches in general to get around. And my PTA nephew is getting the crutches today and giving me tips on using them.

She feels I should by a lottery ticket as I’m due for some good luck. :rotfl:
 
@ceezee Somewhere I missed that you had a pinched nerve too. My friend in Florida has a pinched nerve near her disc in back of her neck. She just went on gabapentin and it is really helping her, so hopefully you will get some good relief soon...too. Hope you win the lotto....
 
The Gabapentin already seems to be helping with the burning pinched nerve. It makes one tired. I started last night and I sure did sleep. :)

I’m not having much luck with the crutches. I’m very unstable. I’m going to try more tomorrow when my nephew, the PTA, comes over.

Another problem is my first operated hip is very sore from doing all the work since last Thursday. It’s been 16 weeks since that surgery so I’m hoping it’ll be up to the task for at least 3 more weeks.

The best thing is that my appetite is back!:yay::yes!:

:bored: Keep on keeping on.
 
Are you still not weight bearing on the one leg? So you are moving both the crutches forward in tandem and walking into them, as opposed to alternating them like when using Nordic poles? Just wondering. I only used walker for first day in hospital. After that they put me on two crutches for discharge. When I used them in tandem for first two weeks I think it was more unstable at first till my arms got stronger. When my PT switched me to doing them alternately (just supporting each leg stride like a normal walk) at around 2 weeks that felt more natural but I was definitely weight bearing on my op leg. You'll get the hang of it I'm sure. Practice makes perfect! :yes:
 
Are you still not weight bearing on the one leg? So you are moving both the crutches forward in tandem and walking into them, as opposed to alternating them like when using Nordic poles?
That’s right. No weight bearing for at least 4 weeks, likely longer. I’m not walking into them, I’m hopping forward with just the one good leg, the other leg has to stay completely off the ground. So I have just three points of stability unlike with the walker which is very stable with the one good leg and then the four legs of the walker.
 
Aha. So like you have a broken leg? Yeah, that is hard work! It takes a lot of upper body strength, which we ladies aren't known for. But just think, you'll have 2 good hips and will be able to beat anyone at arm wrestling when this is all over! :heehee:. Sending lots of healing vibes to you.
 
I talked to the PA and she said my left hip is solid and I can’t hurt it. And I’m allowed to very lightly let my right leg help when going up steps. But don’t overdo it. And I should keep trying to master the crutches.
 
Using crutches is a lot harder than it looks @ceezee I spent 6 weeks not weight bearing on my right leg last year, so I can sympathise with you. I found it very tiring at first and hard on my upper arms, but it did get easier. You will do it!
 
Wow, stairs and crutches and trying not to put any weight on one foot/leg--that sounds really challenging to me, @ceezee. But congrats on weaning yourself off the strong narcotic and sounds like the gabapentin might be helping. You do have a lot on your plate--but glad appetite is back and sounds like you've had a few nice meals that you're finally able to appreciate and savor. Hang in there, four weeks is a long time but here's hoping it will go as quickly as possible and you'll be able to return to an easier recovery. It is definitely a longer process than usual, but you WILL get there in the end. Cheers!
 
You're a trooper, ceezee. I understand you don't have a choice but your attitude is great! :yes:
That's unless you're flinging things at hubs behind the scenes, :heehee: JK
I hope you have something planned for the weekend to break up the monotony. A pleasant distraction of some sort. Sending a hug and wishes for a peaceful afternoon and evening. :friends:
@ceezee
 
Better success today with the crutches! My nephew (the PTA) came over and it sorta fell into place. We did some walking and stair steps. He still thinks I should mostly use the walker for safety’s sake. He’s probably right.

My sister in law brought pizza and salad over for us for lunch. We had a great chat and it was so nice. I really lucked out with both my husband and his family. I’m an only child and far from my original home state so it’s very comforting.

Nothing is planned yet for this weekend and it would be so great to go out for a meal but I’m tempted to wait and just stay in and mend.............. :chinstroke:

One week until I go back to see if the implant has shifted more. Nothing to do but wait. :bored:
 
Good morning, @ceezee, and I hope the day is starting out well for you. Congrats on better luck with the crutches although I agree that the walker might provide more stability and be easier to use (except for those pesky stairs where I'm not sure any assistive device is easy). You said you had nothing planned for the weekend, and nothing can be good. On the other hand, I feel as if there is real benefits to a meal out (someone else doing cooking and clean-up) to put a smile on my face. Hope your spirits are still up despite the setbacks you're experiencing. I know you've got another week to wait until you revisit the doctor, but keep up the good work and we'll all have our fingers and toes crossed for you that no further shifting in the implant and then, if I recall correctly, it will be 50% weight bearing for another four weeks? I know this situation must be frustrating as all get out, but you WILL get through this--and here's to healing. Have a good weekend.
 
[Bonesmart.org] BoneSmart = best recovery!
@Layla, this is the use my Lounge Doctor gets when I’m using it .... Ripple finds it gives her a good view of the backyard.
 
Good Morning :wave:
Hope this Saturday morning finds you feeling chipper. How lucky to have family as PT. Will your nephew
serve as your Physical Therapist when / if you choose to engage? I would it comforting to work with family.

It's nice that hubs family has embraced you and you're enjoying close relationships with them. I would imagine it eases any loneliness you have being a distance from home. Hopefully you're feeling energetic enough to get out for a meal this weekend. Holding good thoughts and sending up a prayer that your implant has remains stable.
Have a lovely weekend!
@ceezee
 
Our posts passed. That is hilarious! With Ripple's love of the LD, you're really getting your money's worth, lol. I must add yours is way fancier than mine. Mine simply has some elasticized cover over it. Yours looks like it is upholstered. My suddenly looks trashy :rotfl: Did you make that cover? I got jipped...
 
@Barbaraj, believe me I’m not doing any of the cooking yet. It’s just not possible with the non weight bearing situation. That’s one of the things to do I most miss. I love to cook.

As far as restrictions go, I’m on non weight bearing for two more weeks after next weeks checkup (if it all looks good). Next weeks checkup is just to look for additional implant shift. So if I’m lucky I’ll be hopping along on one foot for 3 more weeks. And then move to 50% for another month. It is depressing but it is what it is. I think it’ll be a long while before I’m cleared to drive. All my clubs are starting up again now and no one lives close enough to me to give me a ride. I’ve already missed my garden club’s first meeting. I am reading my brother-in-law’s latest book so that’s fun.

Today I’m coaching my husband in making banana bread and making steak filets using sous-vide and then a screaming hot cast iron pan. We’ll be eating well tonight.
 
Last edited:
@Layla, they came out with a newer model. It’s water and stain proof and zips on and off so it can be washed. It goes around the whole thing and has sticky nubbles on the bottom so it doesn’t slide. I love it! Even with no swelling anymore I use it laying down and watching tv.
 
Well yours is a Cadillac version compared to mine and frankly for the price, I was a bit shocked when I received it. My initial thought was they could have done a better job with the cover, second thought was I probably could have found a cheaper version (wedge) at JoAnn Etc But...and it's a big BUT, I do LOVE it, still use it and I'm sure at some point I'll need my other hip done so it's definitely not money wasted in my mind. Only a tad jelly yours is Cadi and mine is Pinto :rotfl:
Have a good one, sweetie!
@ceezee
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom