Guest viewing is limited

THR Bone Smart Excercise / Sports Recomendations after THR

My surgeon advised wait 3 months post op before starting any regular exercise program. List to your body. It will tell you if you are doing too much too soon.

Sounds reasonable.
I dont feel comfortable at the idea of sitting on the floor, heck if I did get on the floor I don't know how I would stand back up. :snork:
 
@Hip2BGone

My hips aren't giving me any trouble when I swim (freestyle). I am still alternating swimming and walking but next week I plan to start swimming 2/3 of a mile and walking 1/3. The biggest issue with swimming consecutive laps is that I just don't have the stamina or lung capacity anymore. Its going to take awhile to build that back up.

My goal is to do the swimming and cycling part of a half triathlon to start with!
 
@Hip2BGone

My hips aren't giving me any trouble when I swim (freestyle). I am still alternating swimming and walking but next week I plan to start swimming 2/3 of a mile and walking 1/3. The biggest issue with swimming consecutive laps is that I just don't have the stamina or lung capacity anymore. Its going to take awhile to build that back up.

My goal is to do the swimming and cycling part of a half triathlon to start with!

Awesome buddy.
The stamina will come.

I also share your 2/3rds thriatlon plan :)

For my the races will be my motivation to stay on the bike pool and gym.

Thanks for sharing. :biking:
 
I have a huge question:

Short version:
If by chance you cross your leg all the way once, and your hip doesn't dislocate.
Does it mean that there is no need on keep following the precautions?

Long version:
I am 6 weeks post surgery.
Yesterday I had what you may call a fun, busy day. I am making a lot of progress in PT and in yesterday's session I was way more comfortable in a broader ROM, and at the end I felt much more loose and relax.

At night I was ready for a good night's sleep, but I felt SO GOOD and had this general looseness feeling in my whole body for the first time since the surgery :) that without even thinkig made me turn all the way on to my non operated side crossing my operated leg all the way, and i even started to turn into sleeping on my belly.

My operated leg's knee was touching the bed, so my legs definetely crossed and it stayed that way for a couple of seconds before I noticed it and turned back to be on my back.
 
6 weeks is about when I tried all of the tricks like that, no problems with allowing legs to cross or sleeping on my stomach. It all worked fine but when I bent deep in the shower the first time I felt a pulling I didn't like. Same thing first time cutting nails. It ached a bit afterwards but slowly loosened up. 6 weeks is also when I had my first serious overdo, felt really good to get out and do some yard work.
 
6 weeks out

The girl at the PT is a sweetheart really helpful and caring.
PT has helped a lot with strengthening, gait reefucation and balance.

The BEST thing ever is the excercises I have been doing in a pool on the days off from PT. It feels great afterwards.

All the movement involved in both PT and pool work have freed up my leg and created a looser feeling while walking or just moving around.

I keep forgetting my stick everwhere
 
Walking around without a cane trying to find my cane...I began to do that alot also...getting better all the time!
Good for you.
Hope today is a Good Day.
 
:wave:How are you doing?
I hope everything is still doing well and you are looking forward to a few months from now...with some of this Recovery mess behind you.
Wishing you a good weekend!:SUNsmile:
 
:wave:How are you doing?
I hope everything is still doing well and you are looking forward to a few months from now...with some of this Recovery mess behind you.
Wishing you a good weekend!:SUNsmile:

Hello Mojo.
Things have been great.
We introduced new excercises in PT last week.
Today was my 2nd day swimming.
I do 30 mins sessions alternating in pool walking light swimming and ROM movements.

I am using the walking stick less every day. The limp is almost done, it comes back when I'm tired hence the reason to keep using the stick.

No pain just tiredness and some mellow sore spots after excercises.

All good news hip wise!
We were very happy at our last PT session with the hip getting much better.
Unfortunately after an assessment o requested the PT ladies to perform on me due to certain comments I overheard from the anesthesiologist at the surgery about me having scoliosis, they run some tests and gave me the unfortunate news that I do have moderate at best scoliosis.
I have an S shaped curve on my spine.

I have an appointment with a Dr tomorrow to have his opinion rewarding this issue.

I am very down as I thought I was beggining to get over the hip issue and that I could get back to living again without worrying about health issues, until this came along.
 
Oh my stars...please don't project.
My BIL has scoliosis and is very active and healthy...with some pop up back issues with over activity...hard to tell where up as you are only 2 months with hip.

I should think it would have to be better with new hip...that couldn't have been helping.
I will be thinking of you as you confer with doctor....please let us know what they think.
 
Hi there,
Please let us know how your appointment goes tomorrow.
Hopefully the doctor will offer you some reassurance.
Hate to see you struggling with this mentally since you're doing so well.
Wishing a peaceful weekend for you!
@Hip2BGone
 
The Dr after doing an exam called my scoliosis a "take one".
At least visual and functionally.

He told me the arthrosis scoliosis combo was not a good combination and that we need to be proactive to have quality living in my older age.

He said the best plan in the long run was to combine swimming, bike riding and strength training.

He ordered x rays and will include some work to align the back and abdominal muscles as soon as the hip allows it.
 
:ok:Sounds like a plan.
Almost two months...lots of improvement to come!
Have a relaxing weekend:friends:
 
Hi...
We enjoy following your recovery! Thanks for being a part of forum and for your contributions.
Keep stopping by, we'll be here. At not quite two months post op you still have a lot of healing to do and
we'd love to offer support and encouragement along the way.
Enjoy the weekend!
@Hip2BGone
 
A little update on my recovery:

We have started to increase slowly the excercises at PT. I was heavily limping at week 5 when I staretd PT, now at week 8 1/2 I can walk well without a cane, except when I'm phisically tired.

I incorporated swimming at week 7. I swimm and walk in pool one day and swimm and fo light upper body work on the other. 40 mins sessions.

There is no pain whatsoever swimming, on the static bike, going up or down stairs or doing excercises.
I have some mellow sore spots here and there but nothing noticeable or that demands taking pain pills.

The first month was of full rest with only brief walks.
After the 5th week I started with the PT but most of the week I'm resting as I only partially work 2-3 days a week.

I am really happy with my recovery. It has been slow but the pain is gone. :)
 
Happy 2 month hipversary!:tada:
I don't consider that slow at all.
Glad your gait is improving and you sound well.:) :-) (:
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Wondering how you're doing over the past month.
Hopefully progressing well and feeling stronger week by week.
Leave an update when you have time...we'd love to hear from you.
Take care :SUNsmile:
@Hip2BGone
 
Yes ...Do let us know how you're doing!
Hope all is well with you.:ok:
 
Back
Top Bottom