THR Bone Smart Excercise / Sports Recomendations after THR

Well I am almost 4 weeks post surgery so here is my:

4 WEEK UPDATE
To any of you who has just been out of a THR surgery, or has plans to in the near future, once you reach the 4th week you will feel totally diferent. The initial sickness, fear and general discomfort is all gone.

I am currently on just one crutch; after warming up, walking and doing my excercises I can go walk really well using just a stick, I'm almost there but not quite yet.

Obviously due to the recovery and some of the excercises my mobility, balance and strenght is much better. I am now able to do some excercises I couldn't before and to move around in the house, and outside much more freely.

The best way to describe the 4th week is piece of mind, there is still a lot for Me to get better. And I still have to measure myself and bewareof the precautions. But I no longer fear about doing a bad movement and breaking my leg as i did on the first few weeks. :shrug:
The ultra stiffness on my leg just wasn't helping.

Getting in and out of the car has gotten much easier so I plan on hitting the pool this weekend for the first time to do some walking and catching some fresh air.

I already scheduled a couple of brief work related outings for next week, so let's see how that turns out.
 
:goodpost: Glad to hear things are going well.
Make sure you balance your new activities with some extra icing afterwards!
Yay for things behind on the upswing!:egypdance:
 
I would like to know Bone Smart Policy on when and how to return to physical activity.

I've read the documents on BS's return to everyday activity and work.
Yet there are some of Us who have gone through THR who were pretty active prior to It, and would like to continue training or doing sports.

I understand BS doesn't recomend excercise or even PT during recovery from a THR.
I agree to some extent specially in the first few weeks, however i kind of disagree when I read on other members threads who have been out of surgery for over6 months (Sometimes even over a year) and they get discouraged from working out or doing PT.

I would like to know the sugested timeframe that you recomend for a planned return to vigorous activity, excercise or even competitive sports.
 
@Hip2BGone
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Hip2BGone,
Everyone's recovery is different, some are able to resume an active life sooner than others.

Stories of amazing hip recoveries
Dancing after THR: 4 months pics THR

Sports after TJR: knee replacements not harmed by most sports

You may want to seek out a PT or a trainer who is well informed about rehabbing a THR and have them guide you, for your hip and your goals.
It is often two steps forward one step back.

Be mindful that you are only one month out, listen to your hip, it will let you know when you do too much.
 
I'm not planning on starting any kind of excercise regime at 4 weeks.
I haven't even started a PT program yet, I am only walking and doing ROM movements.

I think that my question was pretty general rewarding the guideline that BS would have towards sports or physical activity, not an specific question to be applied to my case.

Again I have read other threads where BS has recommended against excercises PT or doing sports on people with 6,10 or even more than 12 months.
If so, then when is a reasonable time to start?


A PT would advise me to start with a PT program right away.
BS advices against PT, yet your recommendation is to seek a PT for advice?

I just fail to see the logic.
 
I am a very physically for person who curbed all strenuous physical activity for well over six months.
We say hips heal without PT but certainly therapists who aren't too aggressive can help with stretching, gait training, strengthening and alleviating certain residual problems.
Members have resumed their former passions...swimming, golfing, cycling, horseback riding, etc. At different points in their recovery WHEN they felt their hip was up to it.
Constanze runs marathons, dougie0216 is back to long distance cycling..
I do know some have had chronic issues for trying to get back to activities too soon.
It's just a hard question to answer as you don't know when an individual is going to be ready for what kinds of activity.
Is there a particular activity you are interested in pursuing that is prompting your question?
 
@Hip2BGone I was in the pool (and hot tub) 11 days after my first THR -- and two weeks after both my TKRs -- basically, when the incision had healed. I did aquatic PT after my first hip and absolutely loved it. I would then do those exercises plus walking in the pool on the days I did not go to PT. After my 2nd hip, I did not go to outpatient PT but went straight in the pool and did the exercises I was given for the first hip plus walking. I am now up to a combination of swimming and walking for a mile along with the PT exercises. Eventually, I hope to be swimming 100% -- and as soon as it gets cooler, back on my bike!
 
I am a very physically for person who curbed all strenuous physical activity for well over six months.
We say hips heal without PT but certainly therapists who aren't too aggressive can help with stretching, gait training, strengthening and alleviating certain residual problems.
Members have resumed their former passions...swimming, golfing, cycling, horseback riding, etc. At different points in their recovery WHEN they felt their hip was up to it.
Constanze runs marathons, dougie0216 is back to long distance cycling..
I do know some have had chronic issues for trying to get back to activities too soon.
It's just a hard question to answer as you don't know when an individual is going to be ready for what kinds of activity.
Is there a particular activity you are interested in pursuing that is prompting your question?

I have no plans on doing anything other than my ROM movements and walking for the next few weeks. I will start to do them in a pool three times a week starting from tomorrow.

I would like to start working on balancing the muscles on both sides and strengthening my core and lower back as soon as it's safe, in order to do my best to correct LLD, the wear on my other hip and Scoliosis. At this moment this is my main concern.

In the long run. My plan is to get back into Road Cycling and Swimming. Eventually doing some racing and thriatlons (without the running part).
 
Sounds like your plan is sensible and reasonable.
Sending good mojo your way!
We do this to get back to the things we enjoy, right?
 
@Hip2BGone I was in the pool (and hot tub) 11 days after my first THR -- and two weeks after both my TKRs -- basically, when the incision had healed. I did aquatic PT after my first hip and absolutely loved it. I would then do those exercises plus walking in the pool on the days I did not go to PT. After my 2nd hip, I did not go to outpatient PT but went straight in the pool and did the exercises I was given for the first hip plus walking. I am now up to a combination of swimming and walking for a mile along with the PT exercises. Eventually, I hope to be swimming 100% -- and as soon as it gets cooler, back on my bike!

That's great.
My plans include swimming and biking as well.

How difficult was to start swimming again?
 
5 weeks out.

Had an appointment with my OS to review One-month-out Xrays.
He said that everything looked sweet. In his opinion everything looked bonded and healed.
There wasn't much risk of looseness or it moving anymore, and he lifted the restrictions as well.

He ordered PT as I have a very weak Glute muscles and muscular disbalance from years of limping.

The great News from the X rays is that I have a LLD of just 1.5mm at the most. Also the Dr gave a 10-15 years life to my right hip as well, even longer as he feels having my left hip done will allow it to heal a bit. :)

Went to the Sports PT who performed ultrasound study that showed that my muscles are pretty well attached and looked perfectly healed, he also noticed great vascular activity and that there wasn't risk of concern for clogs.
He lifted the restrictions as well. And he also said that I needed a lot of work to regain proper movility and strenght from the years of lack of proper use of theoperated leg.

The PT went well and without pain or discomfort. However today while doing my usual excercises I noticed that I was really fatigued from it. Most of the things I did at PT i was already doind them on my own, It surprised me how diferent it felt just by doing them properlyand with proper guidance.

All good news
 
My question is what gym exercise machines, exercises and stretches to avoid.

I have been a gym member since 1983. My weight was around 144 to 152, height 5'8". I was in great shape from seven to ten hours a week workouts. Due to hip and back problems the last two years I rarely went to the gym. My spinal discs all collapsed so my height went to 5'6" and my weight to 183. I am not happy about it. Had replacement surgery March 20 (right) and June 12 (left). The left is not rehabbing well because my knee also is messed up (it held up when I was working out because muscles kept it in place). At this point I can drive, shop (do get tired quickly), put on socks and tennis shoes, bend over 180 degrees without pain. Stopped using the cane ten days ago. I do most of the laying and standing exercises with 5 lb ankle weights, also use the weights when riding recumbent bike.

I went back to the gym this week and did cardio for half an hour (6-10 minutes per machine) and the weight machines for a half hour. My left hip at the incision is really hurting, right is a little tender so pretty obvious I used a machine I shouldn't be using.

What leg-related machines should be avoided (I don't want to eliminate everything that causes pain. Not exercising for two years, you are going to get some pain. I just want to know which machines are causing damaging pain.)
 
In the long run. My plan is to get back into Road Cycling
Still got your bike? You can get a cheap trainer and start getting your legs warmed up at home. No equivalent suggestion for swimming unless you have a really large bathtub.

I’m doing the trainer thing now while the weather’s hot and sticky - I’m thinking it might be fun to shoot for a century this fall, even if only a metric.
 
@Flosamuels
I have no idea as well.

If it was me I would stick to upper body excercises using machines, easy stationary bike.
I wouldn't do any leg work with machines as of now. IMO Walking and ROM movements in pool are a much better "strength training" at 5-6 weeks than machines.

I would love to start doing core excercises, floor work and mobility movements. I would love to know when to start as well
 
Still got your bike? You can get a cheap trainer and start getting your legs warmed up at home. No equivalent suggestion for swimming unless you have a really large bathtub.

.

A trainer is a great idea. Unfortunately I don't have a bike.
Can't wait to go bike shopping
 
I would love to start doing core excercises, floor work and mobility movements. I would love to know when to start as well
My surgeon advised wait 3 months post op before starting any regular exercise program. List to your body. It will tell you if you are doing too much too soon.
 
Back
Top Bottom