THR Bone Smart Excercise / Sports Recomendations after THR

I'm a little bit past 3 month post op.
I am now doing my normal life activities, same as before the surgery.
Except for certain things like bending comfortably at the waist, putting socks on or tying the shoe laces.

At the 12th week post op, I changed from PT, into a more sports oriented clinic.They have slowly added diferent type of excercises focusing on reestablishing my former excercise regime.
We are very alert on tendon pain, as i still feel some tenderness.
There are still a lot of things I am not comfortable doing, but there's no rush. We aren't pushing anything.

Swimming:
I have been swimming for a month and a half now. I went from swimming/ walking/ movements in water for 30 mins to 1500-2000 m sessions 3 X 4 days a week.
I am taking it really slow with the kicking, and doing a lot of laps using a lot of pull buoy.

Overall happy.
Some of the days I even forget I had surgery so recently.
 
:egypdance:That sounds splendid for under 4 months.
Lots of improvement to come, I predict.
Was for me!
So glad to hear you are doing so well.
Stop in and update us when possible and give these newbies hope that time, patience, and a great attitude...like yours...will get you far on this recovery journey!:yes!:
 
The only sour experiendce was my 12 week visit to my surgeon.
I was feeling great. My overall movement had increased expotencially, I was doing great in PT and swimming; but I still wanted to hear the "You are doing good" "you can forget about the precautions" from the Dr.

IN a recap the Dr said:
"You will never be able to sit in a low chair ever. For ex. You must forever use a toilet seat riser" I stopped using one at my 10th week post op.
"Forget about doing any type of excercise other than gentle swimming and maybe cycling as long as you set your seat as high as possible. Squating with or w/o weight is banned for life, etc."

I started doing body weight squats and lunges since the 8th week post op and felt great.
I starting sleeping on my belly at the 12th week.
I am able to touch my foot when putting on shoes or socks better at the 12th week and so forth.
So everything that the Dr. was saying didnt ring true specially since i had venture into low chairs/seats and
squating at work/ driving and in my pool excercise sessions

However i was expecting for a moral support from the Dr towards having a normal life again and also some advice about how much could i "let myself go" at the time.

With everyday's achievements I feel the Dr words were untrue, and feel comfortable in slowly trying totry to bend a little more, move a little bit freely, etc.
But I am still really scared of "free sleeping"" I still use a pillow between the legs adnonly sleep belly side down for brief moments.
My wife and I hare unsure of how safe some "fun" positions might be so we have to be creative to be on the safe side of things. (Giving "safe sex" a new meaning)
 
Good on you for listening to your body.
I know what I should and shouldn't do...and as I said..lots of freedom from recovery still to come!
 
Hi @Hip2BGone
We're happy to keep you company during recovery. Thanks for being a part of the forum and updating us on your progress. We all learn from one another.

It sounds like you're doing well. A question about your visit. I guess I wouldn't find it too much of an inconvenience to never sit in a low chair again because they're not that comfy anyways. I do not understand the need for a toilet riser for life, for what reason, did he say? You're only 40!!!

Here's an article to answer your questions in regard to intimacy....don't laugh when you look :heehee:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/sex-talking-about-sex-after-hip-surgery.3448/
 
Hi @Hip2BGone
We're happy to keep you company during recovery. Thanks for being a part of the forum and updating us on your progress. We all learn from one another.

It sounds like you're doing well. A question about your visit. I guess I wouldn't find it too much of an inconvenience to never sit in a low chair again because they're not that comfy anyways. I do not understand the need for a toilet riser for life, for what reason, did he say? You're only 40!!!

Here's an article to answer your questions in regard to intimacy....don't laugh when you look :heehee:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/sex-talking-about-sex-after-hip-surgery.3448/


Thanks for your reply.

I didn't expect such response from teh Surgeon.
The sports PT owner is a Dr with a speciality at Physical Rehab.
He told me that the prognosis and advice from the Surgeon wasfounded on old myths and that living with "fear" of a dislocation was not a "sane" way to handle life.

I am still troubled trying to figure out the things I should be trying at the moment such as bending at the waist, kneeling down, putting on socks shoes, etc.
I would also love to know what kind of excercise program would i be able to do for example at the gym for strenght (weighted deadlifts, squats,) and for flexibility (butterfly, yoga stretches) and cardio (mountaoin climbers, turkish getups,)

I have read from people who have achieved to do all sort of sports and excercises with a hip replacement.
It's just that sometimes I feel too limited at doing stuff. I would like to understand better if the limits I'm feeling are self impossed due to excessive irrational fear or if the results vary from person to person and some of the activities will be out of reach for me to achieve.


So in a way I'm confident that my desired level of activity will be achievable for me in the not so near future. I think I'm missing on not having a tailor-made guideline on how to get there faster and safer.

BTW I noticed a lot of pain on my non operated hip area that lead me to think a replacement was coming soon, but after a throughout examination the PT pointed out that it's soreness in my tendons due to over stress and tightness.

It's funny that initially after the surgery i was experiencing tandon soreness in my operated leg, and with proper care and programmed strenghtening program it has eased down enormously; and now i am being held back at some movements I am trying at Pt and in my reg. life by tightness and soreness in the other leg.

Again I'm extremely happy with the results. Pain is gone.
I walk a lot due to my real estate job, and in my everyday activities painleslly.
I'm able to swim and to increase distance and intensity each week.

I'm doing things i couldnt do before the surgery, and that i was afraid i wouldnt be able to achive after the surgery. And i'm not going to stop achieving new goals any time soon!
 
Last edited:
Good for you.:tada:
Keep activities slow and mindful as there is still healing going on.
If it hurts...don't do it.
But yes, get back to life. It's what we do this for!
You sound wonderful!:yahoo:
 
Happy Monday!
Walking is all you need right now and it sounds like your job affords you that opportunity.
As far as more involved activity, consider starting a list of questions you can address with your surgeon via office visit or phone call, in regard to specific activities you're wondering about.
Until then, if any particular movement hurts, STOP.
A great week to you!
@Hip2BGone
 
I had this scary moment in the morning while putting on shoes on my own for the first time.
Ever since the surgery my wife ties my shoe laces on my opreated side, This has grown old on her by now.

So since i noticed that i can bend a little bit More and reach the top of the shoe while sitting.
I lifted and placed the bottom of the shoe of my oprrated leg on the calf of the other leg a little bit below knee height,in order to reach the laces.
I could barely reach them with my hand but achieve to do it, However i experienced pain and preassure on the si de of my leg around the site of my scar. I had a lateral incisión btw, while doing so and a strange feeling afterwards that lasted for a while.

I would like to know if this is normal due to tightness and that i need to continúe pushing little by little úntil i can tie my shoelaces normally , or if the pain i described is like a pre-sign to a dislocation.

I have read that plenty other were able to tie their shoelaces on their own much sooner so im wondering if something is wrong or if im just being too careful.
 
12 weeks on @Hip2B and I can just reach my operated foot. No shoelaces but need grabber or OH to get most shoes and boots on. Can't do socks even with the stupid implement. We're all different. If it hurts stop doing it?:swoon:
 
I lifted and placed the bottom of the shoe of my oprrated leg on the calf of the other leg a little bit below knee height,in order to reach the laces.
From what you are describing you crossed the midline doing this. This puts added stress on the joint. You will feel this "pull" if you cross your legs as well. I would recommend you tie your shoes bending down to reach them from a seated position.
 
Hi 11 weeks out and did cross over the line when trying to put socks on. Will look at the bending down from seated instead. I still use the shoehorn for shoes although I notice more flexibility every week.
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Hopefully you're doing well. Leave us an update next time you stop by. Would love to read of your progress.
I hope you have a nice week!
@Hip2BGone
 
Back
Top Bottom