THR Bone Smart Excercise / Sports Recomendations after THR

Are you using ice? You can even sit on an icepack - it may help. Unfortunately just paracetamol and naproxen may not be enough to control your pain so early out. Try icing and find a chair that you can sit on comfortably.
 
I asked the doctor about icing and he said no.
I don't understand why
Maybe he doesn't want the plastiky cover they put on top of the wound to get wet.

If I were to use ice, where should I focus?the leg, butt, over the wound?

I have the scar on my side of my butt cheek but it doesn't hurt much. That area
It's mostly swollen and sensitive

The surgeon did an awesome job.
I didn't need a drain tube, he said practically there hadn't been much bleeding.
He said everything looked perfect on the post op x Ray.
 
Well I really can't tell you to do something your surgeon doesn't want you to do but I really can't understand his reasoning.

You an ice anywhere you have swelling or pain. Always wrap the ice in a towel to avoid burning your skin. Ice will reduce the swelling and it's a natural pain killer.
Do you have any icepacks? I used the gel packs as you can wrap then around areas.
[Bonesmart.org] Bone Smart Excercise / Sports Recomendations after THR
 
Everyone and every OS is different. I don't understand the no icing, I don't see how I would have recovered as quick or ever got comfortable without icing. You said you took a bath?, surely there is no problem getting the tape wet. I had a clear tape and could shower immediately but no bath. As far as cleanup it's a real pain in the a++++ to start with especially if your back hurts. I was able to ;ean to my right which worked good as I am right handed. Baby wipes work well for finishing up. You have to take care of your butt as you'll be doing a lot of sitting! I just had a pillow between my legs at the hospital and home,nothing strapped on. The pillow will help when you can roll on your non op side. It will make it more comfortable and prevent the leg from dropping past center.
 
I am feeling quite better. Pain wise the Dr prescribed two Tylenol 500+diclofenac 50 mg combo twice a day. And Kettesse only as needed up to 3 a day.

I switched to the Tylenol/diclofenac combo three times a day and dropped the Kettesse.

I feel much clear headed now, and I can sleep better. No more dizziness during the day, no more nightmares at night.

I don't have much pain during day not at night. Its more of a constant soreness from sitting, sleeping on top of the wound.

To speak the truth I have been walking very little, and I try to apply very little weight bearing on the operated leg while using the crutches.

I only do bathroom dining room walks. And two or 3 little strides across the hallway a day.

I have been more confident to stand on both feet with even weight when needed, like when going to bathroom brushing teeth, etc

Energy wise I am feeling slightly better, but taking a bath going to the toilet drains me out still.

Maybe this low of muscle activation tis the reason why I haven't experienced much pain in the muscles and that allowed me to stick to Tylenol.

Questions???

1) Right now my operated leg feels dead while in bed, it has woken up slightly with a little more movement everyday, but it is still hard to move it while in a laying position.

I have started to feel pressure points on the bottom of the foot, the area that's constantly touching the mattress or recliner, I will get a little doughnut to rest the foot on. Is it normal to feel the leg so heavy and to be this hard to move it around in bed at this stage?

2) I am not pushing anything, I am in rest recovery mode for all this week. I plan to start with longer 5- 10 mins walks when I reach the 8- 10 day mark. No exercises other than foot pumps or stiff leg, butt squeeze twice or 3 times a day.

Is this activity reasonable for me on my 5th day post op?


BTW, dropping the pain pills allowed me to sleep w/o the abductor pillow. I placed a reg. Pillow instead and it felt more natural.
I fought hard against sleeping in the afternoon and it payed off by letting me sleep more naturally over night.

I love this forum. Thanks :thankyou:
 
1) Right now my operated leg feels dead while in bed, it has woken up slightly with a little more movement everyday, but it is still hard to move it while in a laying position.

I have started to feel pressure points on the bottom of the foot, the area that's constantly touching the matress or recliner, I will get a little doughnut to rest the foot on.

Is it normal to feel the leg so heavy and to be this hard to move it around in bed at this stage?

2) I am not pushing anything, I am in rest recovery mode for all this week.
I plan to start with longer 5- 10 mins walks when I reach the 8- 10 day mark.
No excercises other than foot pumps or stiff leg, butt squeeze twice or 3 times a day.

Is this activity reasonable for me on my 5th day post op?

1. Log leg is normal after a THR, it will improve with time.
2.Your hip will let you know it that level of activity is too much, with increased stiffness, swelling, and pain.
Everyone is different, every hip is different.
 
I have been experiencing a this "butt cramps".
It's quite possible you have this Piriformis syndrome - a pain in the butt!
I asked the doctor about icing and he said no.
Well, you don't have to follow his suggestions!
Maybe he doesn't want the plastic cover they put on top of the wound to get wet.
Those plastic wound dressings are designed to get wet!
The doctor prescribed this to use only if intense pain showed up: Keral (dexketoprofen)
Pain wise the Dr prescribed two Tylenol 500+diclofenac 50 mg combo twice a day
And Kettesse only as needed up to 3 a day.
@Hip2BGone I am very worried about your medications: Keral, diclofenac and Kettesse are all NSAIDS and it's dangerous for you to be taking two never mind three of them at the same time! I suggest you read this Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers.

I suggest you try taking Tylenol 1,000mg 4 times a day.
 
It's quite possible you have this Piriformis syndrome - a pain in the butt!

Well, you don't have to follow his suggestions!
Those plastic wound dressings are designed to get wet!

@Hip2BGone I am very worried about your medications: Keral, diclofenac and Kettesse are all NSAIDS and it's dangerous for you to be taking two never mind three of them at the same time! I suggest you read this Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers.

I suggest you try taking Tylenol 1,000mg 4 times a day.

Thanks for your sugestion.

Already icing the leg.

1) Will definetely look at the medicines. Iam definetely dropping Keral. It was very harsh on me.
Besides pain management, does Tylenol aid in the inflamatory tissue?
Should I use a diferent drug such as naproxene Diclofenac for that purpose?

2) Which proton pump inhibitor. would yourecomend for me? I suffer from acid reflux.
I am taking a very harsh Antibiotic: Ciprofloxacin
Is there any indication on which PPI to take along with this antibiotic or the NSAID's?


3) Fortunately the butt cramps are less frequent, however I am experiencing a new cramp.
Sometimes when i try to sit in a chair that is too low, or the back rest of the chair or sofa is to far back that my operated leg does not drop down naturally to reach the floor, for example in my raised toilet seat, Iget a very sharp cramping pain like stiffnes that originates from the groin up to halfway downwards towardsthe knee.
When it happens I need to stand up right away and do a couple of steps to loosen up.

My theory is that both cramps, the butt cramps and these new one that i am describing are caused by tighteness on the muscles that were cut and stitched together or by the swelling of tendons. And that will Pass whith time.
Am I correct?
 
Today i managed to take a bath by myself standing up.
:)
It was not only refreshing, but it also gave me a major boost in self confidence.

The baby wipes were an excellent idea for thr finishing touches.

Peeing time is so damn frequent. At night we bought a little pitcher and a small bucket were i empty it to prevent from falling own or hurtig myself in a midnight trip to the john.

Today is a happy day ;)
 
For the first couple of nights I was going to the bathroom every hour or so, I don't know where all of that water came from. My bathroom isn't far from the bed and I kept the walker at the foot of the bed. Gave me a lot of practice getting in and out of bed. I took Formatidine (Pepcid) to protect my stomach as I took an aspirin for a blood thinner.
 
I was reading in the forums about Piriformis syndrome.
And I could relate to the 'sitting on a tennis ball" feeling.

Also the drs in the OR told me they had a tough time with the spinal as I have scoliosis :(

I don't know if that could also be related to the lower back ache I am feeling specially from laying down most of the day or if it's just soreness from the spinal??

Neither of these pains are harsh enough to make me run for pain pills.
They are more of a mild constant discomfort that gets better when I change position.

Does any of you know if sleeping on your back is better/worse for scoliosis??
I always slept on my tummy and was told it wasn't the best position.
So if sleepingson your back is aahealthier position i would try to focus on making a habit out of it.
 
Just noticed today is my 7th Day post op.
:yes!:
Almost a weekpast hip surgery.

It's a totally diferent feeling from the first days nausea, soreness, desperation, anxiousness. I wanted to die on days 2 and 3.

Woke up with lots of soreness in my quads, but other than that it is a really good feeling to feel your bodyslowly starting to heal.

The only downer I had today is that i had to yell to my dog as he jumped into my operated leg after coming
from a walk outside. :doggie: Poor Morris it wasn't his fault.
 
That's a big improvement. My dog almost had a sense to not jump but she would always get right in my way when I was going up the stairs. I's a slow go and diet plays a big part to overcome the tauma.
Where in Mexico are you? I've only been across at the border from ElPaso into Juarez. I knew some that lived in Mexico and worked in ElPaso. It sounds like a beautiful country.
 
I live in Mazatlan.
It's paradise down here, except for the heat through July-sept
Morris is a charming beagle, yet after we take him for a walk he tends to get super excited and goes berserk.

:dogwalk:

So you are 4 months passed your surgery? Congrats. How does it feel??
 
I've been to Mazatlan several times in my 20's. Looong ago. Fond memories for sure.
We used to stay at the Playa Del Ray close to Valentinos. Are either still there?
And good ol Senor Frog's? Fun times!

Congrats on having one week post op under your belt. It will only get better.
Hopefully there's no repeat performance by, Morris.
Wishing you a relaxing and peaceful weekend!
@Hip2BGone
 
Last edited:
4 mos and I still know I have had a major surgery. I had bone on bone joint pain for years and there is no joint pain now. But I do have muscle pains and aches at times from doing physical labor or exercises. I know it will get better over time and I don't have to push it.
I had to look up your city, I does sound like paradise! I'm sure it's hot in July but it looks like year round it's warm. There must be some good fishing right there too. I'm in the mountains of Tennessee, a good distance from the coast. I used to live in New York on Long Island so I can appreciate living near the coast.
 
Valentinos is still there.
Sr. Frog's is not around anymore.

20+ something years ago Mazatlan was spring break paradise.
Now it has broader attractions. I work real estate and manage a big conod building owned mostly by expats.
It is really a nice place to live at.

I have lived in bigger cities in Mexico, and in the US (Kansas City, LA, Vancouver, Tucson and Phoenix)
I used to travel a lot before :)
And the easy pace of Mazatlan is Golden.
 
Glad you found your paradise.
You've moved around a bit so you have a means of comparison.

Valentino's felt new back then. Probably visited during the years of 1978-1981, or so.
Glass dance floor, a portion of it. Good memories!

Hope you have a relaxing weekend!
@Hip2BGone
 
I just started to do "excercises" on my own:

Marching while still 10 each side
Standing Abductor work 10 each side
Heel rises 10 both leg together
Standing back kick 10 each leg
Ankle Pumps 10 both lg together
Butt Squeeze 5 sec x 10
Stiff leg while prone for quads. 10 sec x 10

I do this 3x a day.

I have a little tightness on the quads. Specially early in the morning. It gets better with ice and elevation later in the day.

I am not pushing it at all, for example in marching steps instead of lifting the legs up to 90 degrees I barely lift them over 25.

I had a great bath today, and finally i stopped using my "Sick patient" uniform (boxers and under shirt).
Finally i put real clothes on and i am eager to have visitors, unlike 2 days ago.

I'm amazed the hell of a diference just one week can make.
 
Ugh! I'm nervous for you to be doing all that. It's really not necessary.
Please go back and read the Recovery Article, Jaycey left you under Post # 2
Pay special attention to the portion that follows - THE BIG TIP

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Feeling like a patient does get old, I'm happy you were able to bathe. You probably feel like a new man!
And I agree...a week makes a difference. You'll feel even stronger next weekend.
@Hip2BGone
 
Back
Top Bottom