Bilateral TKR Blakqueen's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, many PT's deal with athletic injuries and the ensuing surgical recoveries. I was lucky---there were two sets of PT's at the center---one set worked with the joint replacement people and one set worked with the athletic injury recoveries.

The people that worked with me challenged me, but were also very careful to remind me that I should cut back. Never once did they make me hurt the way that you describe your PT doing to you.
 
Kim, I think in rehab you have to ask for pain meds more than in the hospital.

I had Percoset 5 mg every three hours and also oxycontin twice a day. The oxy is one of the "big guns" as my nurses said. I only took it for 10 days, but you might need more for two knees.

Sometimes you have to be specific with nurses. I am at level 9 pain and I need some pain meds now, at this moment--worked for me. Kelly
 
I think Physiotherapist---they are professionals after all. However, they are just doing what the thinking used to be for everyone--no pain no gain.

Kim, this is your chance to reeducate them that the thinking is different now and they need to get onboard with the current ideas. Kelly
 
Kim, you are a trooper cause you haven't hit anyone yet!:hissyfit:
You tell them that
when they get knee replacements and show you that they can do what they want from you now, then you will try their way until then they must listen to you!:hate-shocked:
You and your knees are the boss! Period.....:thumb:
Best wishes my dear friend!:friends:
 
Hi guys, can't wait until I am on a real computer!!!! Wrote a great thread earlier it got lost!!!!!! Well after my crazy end of last week, my OT/PT therapist were better over the weekend. My OT therapist for Saturday took notice that I could only bend my knee to a point, he did exercises that didn't push me to pain along with exercises that improve my balance. The OT therapist also stated in his progress note that I only can bent my knee so far due to swelling and that I shouldn't be push farther then I can do.:thumb: I don't mind being challenged by a therapist, I do mind them not listening to me or my body.:hissyfit:::tantrum2:. My PT therapist was same as during the week but she was alone, she had been working with a student, who she was shadowing. PT was uneventful, I suspect because of the previous week's drama:cry:. Sunday therapist were great, they were effective, yet mindful of what I was prepared to do. Overall I had good therapy weekend.
My meds was were adjusted again and I think we have together:thumb:
Kim
 
Sound like a great improvement over what as been going on. You make sure they keep listening to you listening to your knees.

Take care, keep us posted, we care.
 
Great Kim! Much better my friend!:friends: I hate to hear that anyone is in pain especially when it's avoidable! And in this day and age it is avoidable!:yes 4: Anyone that is not alert to that fact in such an important field, should not be in that field of work!:no2: And, unfortunately there are too many in that field of work, so it's up to us to back them off!:hissyfit:
I am wishing the best in your future pain free recovery, my friend!:thumb:
 
Hi Kim, I'm sorry I haven't been able to follow your hread closely. Your PT sounds horible and I'm glad they have stepped back. I think mine is going to start picking up. Even though you've had a rough time, it sounds like you are doing great as far as progress!
 
Hi all so lets catch up a little. After my great PT/OT weekend I had therapy Monday - Wednesday uneventful I was to be discharged on Wednesday the 13th but due an OS appt on Thursday the 14th I stayed an extra day, it didn't make since going all the way to NJ only to come back the next day to see my OS and to get the staples out. So on thursday after I my appointment I was discharged with a brand new walker and hand full of perscriptions. My stepfather picked me up and drove me down to the hospital pharmacy, I went in alone not thinking it was going to be a big deal. Well after 45 mins I questioned the young lady on the progress of my meds, she informed me that she was having a problem getting authrization on some of them stating that I already recieved them. OK, wouldn't you think that she would ask me about those meds, the ones I was on prior to surgery:scratch: :hairpulling:. Once we got past that there was yet another problem!!!!!! Now it is an hour and a half the hosptal is freezing and my knees are in soooo much pain that I am about my mind. The pharmacy tech couldn't get my morphine meds correctly, she didn't understand the way the script was written. Needless to say I was now angery also my stepfather was not happy it is going on 3pm and for those who live in the Philadelphia, NJ area know how bad the traffic is on the highway leading to the shore points!!!!!! So we got through that and was on our way, my legs were so cold that stepdaddy had to kept the air off for me to get warm. So we were off for our long ride home about an hour or more I was across the back seat falling alseep :sleep:. Once we got to moms everything was fine, off to bed, ate dinner, iced,meds sleep. about 4am I head my son and granddaughters arrive, I wasn't expecting them until later that Friday it was a nice supprise.

Kim
 
Hi all So I have been home for a week, It is so nice being in your own space or familiar space. Being home has showed me how by elevating your legs, you reduce your swelling drastically, my legs are so normal below my knees :yes!: now to get the rest of my legs looking normal. PT said to massage the scar once everything has fallen off and the wound is dry to avoid getting an adhesion. I can't wait to take a shower. OT came on Tuesday to evaluate me, she asked lots of questions then inspected my bathroom, adjusted my shower bench and watch me get in and out of the shower safely. She then came to the conclusion that I did not need her services but I can call her at anytime if I am uncomfortable with showering. My nurses yes nurses I have seen a different one every time all have been very nice. Mr. PT seems to be nice and gentle, he did put me on the peddle bike, but during any exercise he always ask if I am OK or if I am in pain. PT said that he will be working with me for about 4 weeks by then I will be back at the OS and he will write a script for out patient PT. Over all I have had an uneventful week, I have now experience the exhaustion that other have spoken about. WOW it hits you like a ton of bricks, that why I haven't been fully on the site, I try reading post falling asleep with tablet in hand :zzz: Hope all of you who have made it to the other side since my surgery are doing well I plan to catch up on as much as I can. I have been trying to type on the desk top but only can sit for a short period, to much pain and stiffness it is probably the office chair. I also notice since I have less swelling that my knees have more stiffness to them hopefully PT will help with that!!!!! talk to you all soon
Kim
 
Hi Kim, I am just catching up with your thread. Glad you got the meds and PT issues worked out ok. Yes, the fatigue is something you can't imagine til you experience it. Sleep as much as you can, your body heals when you are sleeping! Pt will help with stiffness but also time will help----it will come and go but will get better as time goes by. Some of the stiffness is internal swelling that is not so visible. Good luck!!
 
Sounds like you have a good team. Not a bad idea to have the OT make sure things are set up right for you. Don't worry about dozing off--it's good for you. (I couldn't find the napping smilie or I'd put that in). :):shrug:
 
That long wait at the pharmacy sounds like it was such a nightmare! Glad things are going better now. I agree with everyone: sleep is the best! I still am not sleeping through the night though but I am only 2 weeks out.
 
Hi all hope all are doing well. Yesterday I pedeled the bike with PT, my left leg would not cooperate as well as my right, which left me insome pain after we finished the rest of my exercises. So you know I iced right after he left. We had sereve thunder storm warnings for NJ area, so I was in pain all afternoon and more so when the rain came. It showered all evening and I was in pain the whole time, even though I medicated more. At about 10:30 we had a blackout, my greanddaughters ran and jumped in the bed with me being afraid of the dark. The dog soon followed hiding under the bed, I went to:sleep: hoping the pain would go away!!!!
Kim
 
Kim, be careful that you are taking your meds on time, I used a little notebook so that I could see when I had taken one. Also, sometimes if they say you can have two pills every four hours, it is possible to take one pill every two hours. I found that worked for the first week. Kelly
 
Hi all I forgot to tell you that I took a walk down the driveway to the mailbox on Friday it was soo hot!!! I started getting pain in my rt knee last nite medicated went to bed. Today pain was way worst, burning on the outside and across the knee cap, the pain brought me to tears. When I stood up it felt like a band tightening around my knee, I didn't have full extension of my leg. I medicated, iced and elevated. felt a little better later still sore though!!!!!​
Kim​
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom