Bilateral TKR Blakqueen's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pain is something that we have the ability to medically deal with---and you should not have to worry about it---I hope that your OS or the pain-management team has dealt successfully with it so that you are not in pain and no longer have to worry about it.
 
When my freezing wore off the pain set in big time. I was given .5 of Percacet which did nothing. I called the nurse and told her before surgery I was taking 10 mg of Perc just to go shopping, in other words I had built up a tolerance. I had to be very firm, and let them know I was hurting and they had to sort it out. The nurse called my doctor who ordered the correct amount of med which helped finally. I noticed tho that the nurses were almost reluctant to give it out so again I had to insist they give it every four hours around the clock. When I got home I managed my meds just fine and am now on a lessor painkiller.
We have to be our own advocate and not let the pain get ahead of us in the beginning. It does get better but we need the meds so we can heal comfortably.
 
So here we go again, this is my fourth time writing this thread, I have lost all the others:hairpulling: not only is frustrating and i'm tired and sleepy and in pain . I am also using a tablet instead of a computer. CHEAP:hysterical::. So I finally got meds corrected and yes I ask for them every four hours. Started early witH OT. OT evaluated my AdL skills; I was observed getting of the bed using my walker, walking to the bathroom, then transfering from walker to wheelchair. Then I was observed using OT assist tools to wash and dress. Then PT came for me, we walked 90 ft, then in the gym we did ROM exercises. I went up four steps and then down. Finally I wheeled my wheelchair down the hall 100ft and back 100ftfor arm strength. So now I am tired and sleepy food ice sleep:sleep::sleep::sleep:
Kim
 
Hi Kim, I am glad that you finally were able to post again. Sorry that you are so tired and in pain. I hope that you were able to get the pain relief and some sleep. Hang in there. We care! (((hugggsss)))
 
Hi everyone I am attempting to catch up with you about my recovery and therapy:sigh:. SO Wednesday I started with OT; nice guy, we started out by doing strengthening exercises, then ROM exercises. I must say that these therapist have your best interest at heart, making sure that you get those muscles working.:scratch: That being said, therapist need to realize that were are human one, has had major trauma to our knee and leg as well as our body.
The therapist should listen to the patient when they STOP YOUR HURTING ME!!
We are know that therapy will be somewhat painful, but we should not pushed to the brink of tears all the while being told " you need to get you knee bent so that you can properly stand up or whatever". Are the therapist really that clueless:scratch: A greatly swollen joint is not goings to bend to the degree they may want without several excruciating pain to the patients. So my OT was telling me that mr knee said he can go back , motivation is one crazy pain is another. OT:tantrum2: did well. PT was a little brutal but doable:thumb::th. Now recreational therapy was great worked on balance while bowling. Rt knee ROM 89 lt knee 85 flexion 2
Once back to my room I am in so much pain that I can't even eat lunch or get comfortable.
 
Hi Kim,
I'm glad they finally figured out pain medication for you but sorry you're in so much pain after PT. I don't understand how different hospitals handle things so differently. I was never in pain after PT. If it hurt or they thought I was too tired we stopped and they came back later. I would love to see how a therapist who's been through a TKR handled therapy.

Hope you're able to rest and get your pain under control.
 
BQ: If you hurt that much after PT, maybe PT is too long. I'm so lad that you have therapists with the right philosophy. Hope things get better for you real soon.
 
Hi everyone, what a last few days!! I 'm trying to catch up on my recovery issues. So June 7 OT came to get me so that I could shower using a shower bench. That went well, you can't believe how great that hot water running down my body felt, I didn't want it end:th_heehee: That hot water felt soooooo good on my muscles. OT gave me bio patches clear and sticky toput over my staples to kept the wound dry. I got dressed and waited for PT. PT started off good ROM and strengthening exercises, which included knee bends, body bridges, heel raises and of long walks with walker. I also had recreational therapy in between; RT we did balance by playing bowling as I stood without holding on. Back to PT more balancing exercises, played darts, then I was to do knee bends holding on to the parallel bar. This means you hold on and drop like you're sitting down . So the therapist wanted me to go lower. The pain was excruciatingly and the tears came fast. Needless to less say therapy was over, back to room , pain meds, sleep:hissyfit::sleep:

KIM
 
Things were going so well and then they just had to give that extra push that makes you wind up in pain. At least you got to stop, rest & medicate. Over all it sounds like you're doing really well.
 
Yikes! It seems too early for that knee bend exercise to me. :mad:
Congrats on getting a shower! That first one is great, isn't it?
 
So I'm still playing catch up. I finally got my meds adjusted so that I get more of the morphine right before therapy. I was placed back on my blood pressure meds due to my blood pressure creeping back up. So Friday, 6/8 my OT came to me down to the main therapy room. The first thing he wanted me to do is the swat that brought me to tears the day before:hairpulling: I protested and then he decided that I was going to do ROM knee bends; pain; :cry::cry:. OT trying to talk to me about pushing so that I will get the most out of my knee. Took an easy the rest of therapy, he iced me at the end then off to the front of the hospital for my outside treat!!!!!!:yes 4:

PT picked me up and out we went. We started with me going down the ramp with walker and then back up using the stairs. We did a getting on and off the curb exercise and then walked around the front circle. We played kick the ball and many of my coworkers came out to say hello. Overall I walked 400ft. I wheeled myself back to the floor and to the gym. PT wanted me to do hip strengthening exercises which is my legs over a boulder and I raise my thigh to my chest. PAIN BURNING ACROSS MY KNEES:cry::cry::cry::tantrum2: why do they push so hard!!!

Kim
 
why do they push so hard!!!

Remember something---something that many of us did not understand then---these PT's WORK FOR YOU.

You have the right to say "no" to anything that creates that much pain. You also can be your own advocate and tell them, in no uncertain terms, that you feel that the pain is counterproductive and that you need to cut back on your PT.

Remember, it is not "no pain, no gain"! It is "NO PAIN, MORE GAIN!" Tke care of your knee and do not let the PT's push you into something that hurts that much.
 
Kim, Congrats on your new knees!
I hope they get your pain meds adjusted so you can move forward with healing. Hang in there- the first 3 weeks are the toughest, IMO.
Good luck and Keep us posted!
 
Ouch Kim, It sounds to me like they were torturing you. :hissyfit: Not OK!!! Gentle work! You want to be able to move again the next day. I hope that your meds relieve your pain and that you get a good night's sleep tonight. :console:
 
Blakqueen, I just read your last post and couldn't believe what they are having you do and you aren't even at the end of 2 weeks and it's BOTH knees. It hurts just reading it. You must be in such pain. Are these PTs trying to prove some point or are they just plain stupid. Sorry, that's my knee talking and it feels bad for your knee...:cry4:
Hope you get a good rest and you aren't in too much discomfort after all that.
 
I agree with all the above. Some of the exercises that they are having yu do, I didn't do till week 4 or 5! And even then they were awful for me. I used to call the PTs Gremlins. They were are cute and sweet till you added a knee replacement then they turned into MONSTERS!! :eek: Very concerning. So, be your own ally and just say no, I'm not ready for that. But I will say one thing... you are doing fantastic! And congratulations on the arrival of your new babies. Keep up the good work!! We are pulling for you.
 
Congratulations Kim on your new knees. I do hope your pt guys give you a break - be strong with them and tell them you are not prepared to do anything that causes pain. It is not necessary to inflict pain on your swollen damaged knee joints - they need to heal before they are pushed. Take care.
 
Blakqueen,
It sounds like your PT is truly a physical terrorist. I am so thankful that mine really listens to her patients. She pushes just enough to present a challenge, but immediately backs off if it hurts. She is always reminding me to let her know if something is causing pain. She also has great stretches that help me when I'm hurting in different areas. You may just have to get mean and tell them to back off. I can't imagine the pain that comes with doing 2 knees anyway. Take care!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom