Guest viewing is limited

PKR Bj Mac's Recovery

The French have a word to describe you BJMac.
Formidable..
The meaning is different from the English.. It means awesome..
But
I still think you need to get your feet up!
 
Jancat, as I have mentioned I am not very practiced at relaxing, so I am working on learning how to do that. I also am not one who likes to take meds. I had oxy (10mg) 2 x's a day for the first 8 days and I did take my percocet with that and it did work, then I had 4 days where I only had oxy at night and continued with the percocet as well and that seemed ok as well. It seems that when I had to quit taking the oxy, which my doc will not give me more of, is when I began to have too much pain to sleep. I had backed off to only taking one percocet at a time and truly hope that taking two tonight gives me enough relief for sleep.

Jwehyam, thank you for the compliment. :blush: and I am working to take care of me and get my feet up. As I have mentioned I am not accustomed to this and so what "I think" looks like me resting and putting my feet up is evidently not enough, and I need to adjust and do even more resting and putting my leg up and letting 'them' do more for me. I also would like to be off the meds asap, but not if I can not sleep because of the pain.

Thanks Friends :friends: I feel cared for!
 
Hi Ladies;
None of us like taking these meds, but they are a nescessary evil when recovering from joint replacement (or orthopedic hackjob, whatever-it is a baddie)...
I have had the pleasure of having my knee done twice!!!I never got off the nasty meds after my surgery because my back decided to blow out 3 weeks post-op.
I too have had less pain at times, and even after 1 year, I continue to forget to take them if I'm not in too much pain.
I get the willies when I do that, nausea, sweating yawning, all that fun stuff.

You will need less pain meds as you heal. BJ, I was just like you, pushing and doing things I shouldn't have because that is the way I am.
It backfired, and then I had to STOP all activities (even PT) to give myself time to recover from trotting up 2 flights of stairs to get the make-up my 19 year-old stole from me (I don't even WEAR make-up...).
My need for pain meds almost doubled when I was not playing by the rules my knee had set for me.
Slow down, rest, take your meds and let the healing response in your body do the rest.
Go see your horses, but walk VERY carefully or you may be laying face down in horsie poo!!! Now go explain THAT to your OS...:th_heehee:
Have fun and try not to stop your narcotics too suddenly. The willies are nasty.
Best,
Sandy
PS: I grew up in NY. I think we went to Hidden Valley when I was a kid.
 
Go see your horses, but walk VERY carefully or you may be laying face down in horsie poo!!! Now go explain THAT to your OS...:th_heehee:
Sandy, you make me laugh. :loll:I really do want a horse hug. I promise to walk VERY carefully so that I do not end up laying face down in horsie poo. :th_heehee:
 
OK, so I did go to the barn on Thursday with my daughter. I got to pet the noses of both Prince and Trigger. It was a lovely day and I totally enjoyed being at the barn, it is soooo beautiful there. I went to the riding ring to watch my daughter ride and wound up laying on the sofa of the viewing room with my leg elevated until she was done with Prince and had him back in his stall. Then she drove through Wendy's and got us dinner & took me back home. That was quite enough for me.

She and her father just left for a horse show that is about an hours drive from here. I am sooo sad not to be able to go with her. I have been with her at every single horse show that she has ever gone to. I am her support parent, I understand her and what she needs at the last minute as she prepares to show. Today is going to be soooo hard for me not to be there by her side, watching her, cheering her on, taking the jumping photos... Not only do I hate being unable to do very much at this stage of my recovery but I hate to miss out on these things. I have been there for every one of my kids events for the last 23+ years...
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery
    _BJM1778.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 161
Last night as I was laying in bed my d-i-l texted me and informed me that she was working on Sunday (mothers day) and wanted to know if we wanted to go bowling and out to dinner on Saturday and then maybe out for ice cream.

I want to bawl my eyes out. Hello? Bowling? How about my day is spent getting up, eating, getting a shower, doing some exercises, resting, icing elevating, going for small walks, a bit of exercises, resting, icing, elevating, lunch... Well, sure I'd love to go bowling, and to my daughter's horse show and out to dinner... but here I am crying in my bed with my leg up and I wear out so quickly and when I do go out by the time I get home I can't wait to lay down and recover... I feel so weak and useless and tired of feeling weak and useless, and I am NOT a sidelines person in any way shape or form.:cry4::hairpulling: :sigh: :cry: I HATE THIS!!!

I told her that I had had major surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago and that I wasn't up for bowling. Maybe after Dad and Laura come back from the show we can do dinner...
 
So, all of this makes me want to go down and start working out and pushing myself sooo hard and tell myself that I am just laying around being a slacker and a wimp, to get off my duff and get in the game...:hissyfit::dancy:
 
BJ, you really MUST stop beating up on yourself. You are NOT a slacker and a wimp. You ARE in the game---the game of HEALING.

It's ONLY been 19 days since you had surgery. And, yes, with most other surgeries you'd be well on your way to feeling and being normal. But THIS SURGERY IS DIFFERENT! It's going to take TIME---more than you want to invest but have NO choice about---and PATIENCE---which you're going to have to reach way down inside yourself and find.

Just please keep in mind that had you not had TKR you could not be looking down the road to being able to return to doing all the things you love. And, yes, it's a long, long road; but the alternative of being stuck at the crossroads is not real choice at all.

And please, please, DO NOT start working out and pushing yourself soooo hard. It will only you set you back and make this recovery take even longer. I really don't believe that this is what you want.

I know it seems that life is just passing you by right now. But its the long view that matters here. Without what you are going through right now it's almost a sure bet that life would eventually actually pass you by as you would be unable to get off the sidelines.

Now just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and follow the BoneSmart mantra--pain meds of a schedule, lots of rest, elevate and ice, ice, ice; do gentle stretching and bending for short periods several times a day. Take all those negative feelings and turn them into positive thought. IT WILL GET BETTER & BETTER & BETTER, but it's going to take TIME & PATIENCE: and YOU CAN DO IT!

Take care of yourself, don't overdo, and keep us posted. We care.
 
BJ- You JUST HAD SURGERY!!! 3 weeks ago!!!! (((HUGS)))) I feel your frustration!
From the day I got home from the hospital until the end of the 3rd week I was a WRECK! Seriously! I cried many times a day, for NO REASON! I hurt badly (mid-thigh to foot, incision and inside at the surg. site) and I could not seem to get the pain under 5 on the pain scale. Don't even start with the constipation and the lovely effects that has on one's constitution. :rolleyespink:
Finally, after reading Josephine's writeup about post-op blues, I saw what was happening. I also think that is when a lot of the side effects from the whole experience kind of 'wore-off' and I turned a corner for the better.
Could you have gone to the horse show just as a spectator; maybe watch her and then come home early? (My girls ride also, but we only have 1 horse. They no longer show, but I recall how long those days can be!)
I was going to drive up this morning to get my daughter from college but when husb. and I discussed it, we decided it would be better if I stayed home. Initially my concern was the long car ride (~6hrs) but then thinking about how much pain I have been in with longish dog walks, we thought I would not be able to help too much and I would need to be icing and elevating and I did not want to be up there, in the way, unable to help, and in pain to boot! SO here I am, and he left earlier, and I know how you feel, plus you are still in pain! Don't overdo now because it will backfire on you. :hissyfit:
THIS TOO SHALL PASS! :yay:
And you WILL be riding, snowboarding, etc, when you are healed! :dancy:
Hang in there! :doggieshmooze: :friends:
 
BJ, your d-in-l is clueless. Why not just tell here that you want take out and perhaps a month of net flix. People do not understand unless you tell them what is going on. I tend to minimize things for my kids too, but I am not doing them any favors.

They need to know the truth so that they can help you. Kelly
 
Thanks you all really cheer me up!:friends:

Judy, That is one of the hardest thing for me not to beat on myself. Thanks for the different perspective and reminding me that I am in the game, the game is called HEALING, and takes time and patience. This is one of the hardest games that I have ever played, but I am a winner, I can do this. I am holding myself back today as my knee is a bit more swollen than it has been and rather than going down and hitting it hard in the gym I have voiced my feelings here and am listening to my knee and to you all, and feeling cared for. Dusting myself off, and doing the BoneSmart thing, Pain meds on schedule, Ice, Rest, Elevate. It will get better and better!!! Thanks for caring!

Jancat, Yes, I have just had surgery, but I sure had no idea what that meant as far as how little I would be able to do for and for how long. I did not bargain for bouncing up and down emotionally either. As far as going along to the horse show, after my trip to the barn Thursday, which is only a 15 minute drive, and feeling totally exhausted by the time I got back from just laying around there and petting the horses I realized that just going in the car for an hour would do me in not to mention being out all day, even if I had a chaise lounge and ice... and me just processing all of this and realizing it is when I started to go into the feelings that I am just a slacker & a wimp... (btw the husband hasn't driven for years because of macular degeneration, he is not much help except he can sit in the passenger seat while my daughter drives as he still carries a drivers license and she has not yet tested for hers) Your encouragement means so much.

Kelly, Yes, she is clueless and remains that way unless I educate her, if she even listens to me. I have told her and she does not seem to be listening... and that too is frustrating. I am trying to let them know what I need. Your words mean so much, Thanks! I really like the idea of take out and a month of net flix.
 
No, is that near you? I am in the Pittsburgh area, other side of the state. But you all better invite me to that NJ beach party...

I made it through today. Two of my sons just got home from college yesterday and one of them hung out with me and kept me company today. I had a good day. My daughter won Reserve Champion twice today. She survived her first horse show with her new trainer without me along. Forget survived, she did excellent. We all did good!
 
Last night as I was laying in bed my d-i-l texted me and informed me that she was working on Sunday (mothers day) and wanted to know if we wanted to go bowling and out to dinner on Saturday and then maybe out for ice cream.

I want to bawl my eyes out. Hello? Bowling? How about my day is spent getting up, eating, getting a shower, doing some exercises, resting, icing elevating, going for small walks, a bit of exercises, resting, icing, elevating, lunch... Well, sure I'd love to go bowling, and to my daughter's horse show and out to dinner... but here I am crying in my bed with my leg up and I wear out so quickly and when I do go out by the time I get home I can't wait to lay down and recover... I feel so weak and useless and tired of feeling weak and useless, and I am NOT a sidelines person in any way shape or form.:cry4::hairpulling: :sigh: :cry: I HATE THIS!!!

I told her that I had had major surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago and that I wasn't up for bowling. Maybe after Dad and Laura come back from the show we can do dinner...

I find its common for people to not grasp the seriousness of the surgery. I've had coworkers refer to my recovery as my "vacation." Unfortunately the in and out nature of so many procedures confuses folks, and they assume any surgery is as difficult as wart removal. Laugh at her and forgive her.

And stop beating up on yourself. In a way, you are buying into the thinking your daughter in law shows. You have to give yourself time to recover. I understand the drive to be out there, but recovery takes time. One of my favorite motivational books comes to mind. In it, a cancer survivor goes out on a bike ride with a friend and collapses by the side of the road because he was so weak. Later, as he recovered and regained his strength, he improved. And improved so much he won the Tour de France seven times....
 
Hi BJ

You are right in the tricky phase of recovery, feeling depressed, isolated, useless and uncomfortable. Please be assured it will pass in a couple of weeks and you will start to feel part of this world again. I had problems with the lack of mobility and having to rely on my husband for everything - having always been active and somewhat of a control freak, this disabling feeling was so very hard for me. The recovery process is a long one but the short term recovery was approximately 6 weeks for me. In the long scheme of life it's not that long :sigh:

I know you are probably thinking 6 WEEKS but it will go by in a flash and you will look back at these past few weeks and realise it was not so long after all. By 6 weeks you will be doing so much and you will be motivated to get back to full fitness. Hang in there and recover at your pace - easy does it my friend.
 
Last night as I was laying in bed my d-i-l texted me and informed me that she was working on Sunday (mothers day) and wanted to know if we wanted to go bowling and out to dinner on Saturday and then maybe out for ice cream.

I want to bawl my eyes out. Hello? Bowling? How about my day is spent getting up, eating, getting a shower, doing some exercises, resting, icing elevating, going for small walks, a bit of exercises, resting, icing, elevating, lunch... Well, sure I'd love to go bowling, and to my daughter's horse show and out to dinner... but here I am crying in my bed with my leg up and I wear out so quickly and when I do go out by the time I get home I can't wait to lay down and recover... I feel so weak and useless and tired of feeling weak and useless, and I am NOT a sidelines person in any way shape or form.:cry4::hairpulling: :sigh: :cry: I HATE THIS!!!

I told her that I had had major surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago and that I wasn't up for bowling. Maybe after Dad and Laura come back from the show we can do dinner...
Unfortunately other people see us and we look GOOD, so they just assume that we are going to be able to do 'normal' things.. trust me I am right there with you!
 
Whoa Historian, some "vacation" right?! Yes, I see what you mean about buying into the d-i-l's thinking and my head knows that I must be patient, but this is really hard to do. I will keep reminding myself. I guess it really would help a LOT if those around us would "get it" or at least try to... Thanks for the encouragement! :friends:
 
You are right in the tricky phase of recovery, feeling depressed, isolated, useless and uncomfortable.
And feeling bad about feeling this way... :sigh: and yet it is such a relief to hear you telling me that this is part of the journey and I am not 'abnormal' here

Please be assured it will pass in a couple of weeks and you will start to feel part of this world again.
I am looking forward to feeling a part of this world again and it does help a lot to hear from someone who has "been there and done that"

having always been active and somewhat of a control freak, this disabling feeling was so very hard for me.
You've got me pegged there too, it is soooo hard...

The recovery process is a long one but the short term recovery was approximately 6 weeks for me. In the long scheme of life it's not that long :sigh:

I know you are probably thinking 6 WEEKS but it will go by in a flash and you will look back at these past few weeks and realise it was not so long after all. By 6 weeks you will be doing so much and you will be motivated to get back to full fitness. Hang in there and recover at your pace - easy does it my friend.
Yes, 6 WEEKS sounds very long, and yet if I can just back up and relax I can see that I am almost halfway to that 6 week mark.

I shall work to remind myself to start taking note of the improvements that I have already made.
- When I came home from the hospital I could not lift my leg on its own strength, and now I can do that quite easily

:console:It means so much to me to have you come alongside me and encourage me. Thanks so much!
 
Unfortunately other people see us and we look GOOD, so they just assume that we are going to be able to do 'normal' things.. trust me I am right there with you!

Welcome Naptown knee!!! You've nailed that. We are looking so GOOD, and like Historian said about the easy in and out of the procedure, people just do not get the seriousness of the surgery, and they just expect us to be able to do 'normal' things as you have said. And then I guess for me I look at what my d-i-l said and start questioning myself... But I have to get my head right and realize and remind myself and like Kelly said earlier I basically need to educate them and try not to minimize things because not only am I doing them a disservice, but I am doing a disservice to myself as well...

Anyway welcome to BoneSmart and Thanks for your support! :friends:
 
Glad to hear you are feeling better, BJ, and congrats to your daughter! Mine is on the way home now, what a great Mothers' Day it will be to have the whole family together again on this lovely day!
Yes, I am just across the river from Bucks County. Pittsburgh is a bit far to meet for coffee LOL!
And the beach party idea has been expanded by Sonja (RestAssured) into a cruise! Although I am not a cruise person, I would def. enjoy a smallish 4 day cruise with other BoneSmarties and I truly would love to have this happen.
Happy Mother's Day to you!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom