Bilateral TKR April 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stopping in to say 'Hi" @BigBend and welcome to the forum.
Looking forward to hearing about your journey!
:)
 
Thanks, @1ELISEA . Getting down to the one month befory surgery timeframe is a little scary, but I feel the support!
 
Yes, it's scary, how I remember. But the DAY of your surgery your non-recoverable arthritis pain will be gone, and recovery to NORMAL starts. Something to look forward to.
I can't wait for that either! Exciting!!
 
We have lived our lives in pain and in a restrictive manner--- you adhere to the Bonesmart Mantra about taking exercises to the point of discomfort and no further---and if you take your pain meds "on the clock"---you should not have to worry about being in too much pain.

Those first steps after surgery are truly amazing!
 
You are about a month away ,from turning your life around, BIG TIME. Having a BTKR is the way to go, as I have siad, if you need both of those knees done.

It is challenging, but you will be amazed at how great you feel when you are completely recovered.

One month is a short period of time---I had to wait close to nine months---you have enough time to get things taken care of, but it is short enough that you do not have to wait too long.

The folks here in the BTKR alumni club will be here to support you and to applaud you when you get to the "Other Side"---as well as all the way through recovery, and beyond!
 
A month from yesterday is my surgery date. In the meantime, in addition to reading this forum and library, I've been working on upper body strength. Got my bedroom rearranged, set up my bedside commode, am getting teeth cleaned tomorrow. Tuesday is my pre-op, and, weather permitting, I will take a road trip to visit family and celebrate my mom's 86th birthday shortly thereasfter. She lives 1200 miles away and I've worried that I'll be unable to get to her in a timely fashion after my surgery. So I want to make the trip and hope her health remains good until I can get back to visit.

I feel mentally prepared for surgery. I wish I was more physically fit. I do my knee exercises as best I can without further injuring myself but I've had a respiratory virus I need to get good and gone. Still have some shopping to do - shower chair, ice bags, comfortable post-op clothes.....Lists that were once only in my head are now on paper and are slowly getting checked off.

I appreciate all the support!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've been working on upper body strength.
Very wise of you---you will need it for those early days when you hoist yourself around.

el mentally prepared for surgery. I wish I was more physicaly fit.
Don' t worry about it---you will be fine. There is actually plenty of time after the surgery when you will be able to get back into the shape that you want to be in---you will have two new knees!

can without further injuring myself but I've had a respiratory virus I need to get good and gone.
I had a little virus too---a cold, I guess---and it did not slow them down at all---the BTKR went ahead as scheduled.

till have some shopping to do - shower chair, ice bags, comfortable post-op clothes..
Before you purchase anything, see what is provided through your insurance. Every little bit here and there helps!
 
Still have some shopping to do - shower chair, ice bags, comfortable post-op clothes.
The post op clothes is what I am going shopping for this week! I think I will send my husband for the rest! I really want one of those ice machines!!!! I think it would such a great help!!!

I will take a road trip to visit family and celebrate my mom's 86th birthday
God Bless you on your trip! You are blessed to still have your mother!! ENJOY every minute you are there!!!!
 
I had BTKR and am 9 weeks out. Heres's a few suggestions:
My husband got me a sturdy chair with arms to sit in in the bedroom when I got tired of laying down the first week. Don't forget to put new batteries in your tv remote.
Move everything out of your way between your bed and the bathroom.
Keep safe on your trip and keep us posted.
Patty
 
Don't forget to put new batteries in your tv remote.
I had NOT thought of that!! THANKS!!!

Move everything out of your way between your bed and the bathroom.
It's perfect....I can stand up from my bed, and get right to the bathroom!! I have it all ready, and already including moving the rugs to the shelf!

Keep safe on your trip and keep us posted.
I sure will Patty!! Thanks Again!!!! :)
 
@referee54 I'm really glad to hear a cold virus won't delay surgery. I still have a month, but sometimes these things linger.

@pattymcb , I just picked up a sturdy armchair and have been practicing getting up out of it without using my legs. I think it will work well for when I want/need a change of scenery (BR to LR!).

Thanks, @suzzee2000 . I've always loved road trips as a way to clear my head and center myself. It is a blessing to still have my mom and do for her what I can, when I can.
 
I just picked up a sturdy armchair and have been practicing getting up out of it without using my legs.I think it will work well for when I want/need a change of scenery (BR to LR!).[/ quote]

I hear you on the change of scenery :yes: I have 2 really good and sturdy dining room chairs with arms on them! I already have one set up in the living room with a nice thick comfortable cushion ready!!!
 
@suzzee2000 , when do you plan to start your post recovery thread? I'm thinking of setting mine up early so, in the event I'm coherent after surgery, I will be able to do what some other have done: a comprehensive journal of recovery. I have found those very helpful.
 
when do you plan to start your post recovery thread?

I am going to set mine up either Sunday night or Monday before I leave for the hospital! That way I will be ready to post right away and not be worrying about setting it up.

I have found those very helpful.

That is the very reason I am going to do it too! I hope I can help other people as much as I have been helped here!
 
Haven't been on my own thread for awhile but figured it is time for an update. Had my pre-op appt yesterday. A lot like yours, @den70chev. Blood work, EKG, but no chest xray. I got a spirometer to use to help get my lungs ready and a toothbrush to.......? Dunno. The pre-op doc didn't know anything about the anasthesia I'd get or if I'd go to rehab. Interestingly, he had BTKR 10 years ago. I admit he startled me a bit when he put out a leg, put a hand on either side of his knee and pressed down, saying repeatedly, "press, press, press"....that's what you've got to do.

It was my mistake in thinking he had the answers to all my questions. Rather than worry about it, I came to the 5th and final stage of grieving for my lost God given knees: acceptance. I'm not saying I went through all of Kubler-Ross....denial, for sure. But no anger or bargaining. I just figure, short of going to medical school, specializing in orthopedics and taking out my own knees, I have no control. My surgeon will do what he does. They'll anaesthetize me as they see fit and the nurses will do what they do. Thanks to Bonesmart, I'll have a little more control of how I'll let them aproach PT with me, but, that's about it.:happydance::happydance::happydance:Sha-la-la live for today and don't worry about tomorrow, babe....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom