Bilateral TKR April 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting ready to wrap up this pre-op thread. My remaining questions will be answered by my anesthesiologist and surgeon on Thursday morning, or by the nursing coordinator after my surgery. I had my last pre-op blood test this morning and have spent the last few days doing outdoor chores, cleaning house, filling my freezer with homemade and store bought ice packs and microwaveable meals. I have my prune juice, ChapStick, and a couple pairs of shorts I hope will be more comfortable after surgery. I did my taxes, paid my bills and got my haircut. There are a few more items I need to get, like biotene (thanks for that tip, @Tomel ). But I have a bedside commode, a shower chair and I borrowed my mother's old walker with a seat and wheels. It's too late to lose that 35 pounds I wanted to lose before surgery, :sigh: but I did OK in working out my upper body.:whistle:
I will wait to do laundry until Wednesday so I'll have a fresh bed to come home to. I will re-read the Bonesmart library. At 5 a.m. Thursday, my friends will pick me up and take me to the hospital. I take courage from so many on this forum and look forward to being on the other side!
 
@BigBend you are really getting prepared!! GOOD FOR YOU!! The upper body strength was the most important for me! Just being able to pull your self up and around is great for the mind and the nurses and aides like it too!
I didn't have the shower chair or the commode but have those things now! I'm so glad you are doing what you need. Because being mentally prepared means so so much!! Don't forget to grab a few snacks (comfort foods) I had a bag with me the whole time and I can't tell you how much it helped with my recovery!! Only a couple more days and you will be well on your way to recovery!!! :friends:
 
Thanks @suzzee2000 . It's funny, I've been preparing my home for my return, not knowing if it will be from the hospital or from rehab. I haven't really thought about comfort food while I'm in the hospital and, possibly rehab. Of course, for me, comfort food would be a big pile of mashed potatoes!:wink: But now I'm thinking of what I might take with me for snacks. I'll follow @ParamedicGirl 's advice about nutrition so I'm thinking about some protein bars. And maybe a little junk food:rolleyes: :blush: :sick: too!
 
Good luck on Thursday! I'm sure your ready to have your life back! Out with old, in with the new!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Big Bend , you are very well prepared. That will really pay off. Trust me you wont miss your old knees at all. It hit me the otherday that im much better of now than I was before the surgery and im 7 weeks out today. I knew 2 days after my surgery that the bone on bone noise and pain was GONE. There seems to be a unusually transition from hospital and rehab center, as far as pain management and overall service is concerned. Have you looked into the rehab facility ??. Do you have much of a support team at home ?? Its sounds as if you have all your ducks in a row . Thats excellant. I started my stool softeners weeks before my surgery as I was not regular before hand . That will be a post op issue ! Just know that the surgery team are the experts and that the surgery is over before you know it. The staff at my hospital couldnt have been any better and my pain was minimal , except for when I declined at 330 in the morning. I also iced and elevated my first 2 weeks roughly 18 hours aday. No exaggeration !! That also help keep pain at bay . Along with my meds on schedule everytime thanks to Medcoach , a smart phone free app. Best of luck to you . Go SF Giants !!
 
Hi Big Bend, I just wanted to wish you well with your surgery. I'm having a RTKN tomorrow (2nd) after having a LTKN on the 22nd jan. It's not all been plain sailing but I'm looking at the end game! You sound as well prepared as you can be, just be kind to yourself and know the advice here is invaluable. I only found this site a couple of weeks ago but could have really done with it in January! See you on the other side :)


Bernie UK
RTKR 22nd January 2014
Awaiting LTKR 2nd April 2014
 
Thanks, @icep707 for the encouragement. Like the Giant's opener, it's going to be up and down and UP! Re: rehab, my insurance is very tight lipped about whether I will go and what places they contract with. I have a friend who will advocate for me while I'm in my foggy, post-surgery haze. But I'm confident I have enough in-home support to go directly home, if that's the call. I plan to ice, ice, ice, elevate, elevate, elevate and stay on top of my meds. Haven't downloaded MedCoach yet but will look at what is available for Android devices.

Good luck tomorrow @cafecortado .You've been through it once so you know what to expect. Lots of reports that the second one is easier! :egypdance::happydance::yay:I'm glad I found this site well in advance of my surgery....
 
Oh I do hope you're right Bigbend! Off to bed now to lie awake until 5:30am when I have to get up to go to the hospital ;)


Bernie UK
RTKR 22nd January 2014
Awaiting LTKR 2nd April 2014
 
Lots of good vibes directed at you, Bernie @cafecortado . I'll be getting up at 4 a.m. on Thursday to get to the hospital at my report time of 5:45. Like you, I don't expect to sleep the night before. But I hear we'll catch up on our sleep after!:):sleep::zzz:
 
I like reading how you have used your time wisely to become so prepared. It will have been well worth it when you bring your new knees home. I'm only two weeks ahead of you and know that BTKR was definitely the best decision for me.

Looking forward to seeing you on the other side when you are able to post. It's funny how that time between pre-op and recovery posts reminds me of how there would be a black out time as the Apollo astronauts orbited behind the moon. We all anxiously awaited for that first "Hello Houston".

Best of luck tomorrow and prayers for a smooth landing. Tom
 
Thanks so much, @Tomel .... It is hard to think that 24 hours from now my first knee will be in progress, with the second close behind:shocked:I suppose I'm as ready as I can be....the last loads of laundry are in before I pack. I'm very grateful to you and others on this forum - whether their journeys began long ago or they are now hiking the recovery trail - for wisdom, information, insight and all manners of support. Yesterday I was watching some mindless re-run on television (preparing for post-surgery boredom:heehee:) when I found myself in tears at a plot twist I knew was coming. Women will understand this better than men, but it was the sort of crying I haven't done since the old days of PMS. Guess it just hit me that as much as I have done the tasks of getting ready, emotions - and knees - have a mind of their own. Just as I will let my knees guide my recovery, I need my emotions to play out, too. I feel calmer today....I'm sure the butterflies in my stomach will flutter occasionally..but it helps immensely to have Bonesmart at my fingertips.

Houston....preparing for lift-off.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom