Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR April 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're all up soon. Like everyone else, I'm having my moments of doubt and anxiety but then quickly remind myself that I don't want to be stuck in a wheelchair for whatever years of life I have ahead so it's really a "no brainer" to get the surgery. I've had a bad cold/virus and have basically lost a week of time I had planned to spend on last-minute kinds of things but I've got my lists going and will work thru it. I have most all equipment and other items gathered but there are quite a number of things I'm planning for the last couple of days before surgery - mani/pedi, haircut, grocery shopping, packing bag, etc. Thank goodness my grown son will be taking care of me and has hired housecleaners and does most of the shopping but he's not much of a cook. Also, I have about a dozen of his work shirts I want to get ironed up for him since he's doing so much for me. Well, today I'm going to lunch with a friend and that will hopefully give me a needed boost of energy to get going on this last week of stuff!
 
@BigBend I think you can state a preference for the anesthesia as well and unless there is a medical reason to prevent it they usually go with your preference. MY OS mentioned General but I am going to ask the anesthesiologist if a spinal plus what everyone refers to as "happy juice" is a good alternative for me.
 
@VancouverUSAgal , I just got over a 3 week chest cold and was happy not to be wheezing during my pre-op!!!!! I hope your virus is gone, gone, gone! Extra thoughts and prayers for you next week.

@Phil75070 , from what I read, the recovery is better with the happy juice/spinal. If they let me choose, that will be my choice, too. I came out of a general hyperventilating after a thyroidectomy over 20 years ago. I don't want to be doing that with 2 operated on legs! I don't know what caused it, just that the nurse yelled at me to "stop it." Like it was voluntary. Sheesh.
 
@VancouverUSAgal glad to see you are almost there with your Bilateral knee surgery. It's good to be walking again even a a slow pace for now. Glad not to need wheelchair now. Will be keeping you in my prayer. I changed my name and picture. Use to be "Ready or Not". I did get both my knees before Christmas. The only thing the OS said I couldn't do was run or jump. I can live with out that.
 
Thanks so much @VancouverUSAgal . Right now I'm distracted with family (good stuff) and trying not to think about the pain that is to come. I want to look ahead to recovery. I don't care if I can run or jump (well, I would like to dunk a basketball. At 5'4", ain't gonna happen!) I just want to walk for recreation and fitness. I appreciate your prayers and support.
 
I also have a simple goal - to walk again without pain and for more distance than back and forth to the bathroom! It will be so lovely to be able to take walks in the woods again or on the beach or even to make a trip to Costco without being in awful pain afterwards. My ambitions are small but so very important to leading a satisfying life. Hopefully we will all be there in the near future.
 
@VancouverUSAgal , You will make it. You have waited a long time with delays. I had my first date in August. Finally had surgery in Oct and Dec. I went shopping to Michaels and Hobby lobby last week with my sister. I am walking 3 miles twice a day. It takes me 25 minutes. I increase my walking by 1 or two more house at a time every few days along a walking trail. I use a stationary bike when the weather is bad. I never thought I would ever be able to get on a bike. It may be slow steps , but I couldn't even walk 20 steps from my bed to the kitchen without being in so much pain before surgery. I even walk straight and I am taller. I want to walk in the sand bare footed and go in the water. We will get there. Take care, will be watching for your recovery thread.
:dancy::dancy::egypdance::happydance::yay::tada::yahoo::friends::flwrysmile:
 
Right now I'm distracted with family (good stuff) and trying not to think about the pain that is to come.

Good to be distracted, especially by good family stuff! :yes:

Pain after surgery should be adequately controlled by pain medication; make sure someone in your family has your back on that when you leave the hospital. :thumb:
 
Good advice @1ELISEA . I have a good friend who has worked in and around hospitals and knows the need for patient advocacy who will have my back in the hospital and when I leave.
 
Hi BigBend, I am 7 weeks out from my BTKR. Doing well, slow but sure. This site is awesome,great input from those who have been there. One suggestion. Make a question list. I had about 25 things to ask. Nothing is too stupid to ask.
I waited too long for my surgery. Wanted to lose some weight, which is funny. I lost about 12 lbs in the first few weeks post op.
Sounds like you are getting ready well, but don't be afraid to ask your O.S. Anything. This is what they do. And expect good care.
I had great nurses in the hospital, but you need to take charge, and don't be afraid to call for meds. Around the clock!
I was afraid about P.T. After hearing about "physical terrorists". I have had good experiences in home and now out pt.
I had one worker I had to tell "stop", but helped to remind me that they are my knees.
So glad I did this.
Best of luck to you.you will do well.
Fawkes,(Sue)
 
Thanks so much @Fawkes . I've tried to get in better shape pre-surgery but know some of that will be forced on me post surgery!:rotfl: @VancouverUSAgal , after all your delays, I'm glad your wait is about to be over. I will be looking for you on the other side!!!!:dancy:

Great news today! My knees hurt!!!!!!!! Why, you ask, is that great news? Well, I reply, because it is a reminder that my knees won't magically get better. Not that I am or will second guess my surgical decision. But a nice reinforcement, nonetheless. As we March toward April, the reality that this arthritic pain will be in my past is welcome. Salute to my Bonesmarties, especially the bilats:cheers:
 
I don't even think about my knees anymore. It's a great feeling. I'm 13 weeks out and a happy little camper. :-)
 
Good to hear @pattymcb ! I hope at 13 weeks out, I can say the same. Congrats on a good recovery
:cheers:
 
Little less than a week @BigBend !!! So excited for you!!! Can't wait to see you on the other side!!!!!

Great news today! My knees hurt!!!!!!!! Why, you ask, is that great news? Well, I reply, because it is a reminder that my knees won't magically get better.
:iagree: and they won't much longer!!!!!:)
 
A little over a week, @suzzee2000 . I'm still on my road trip, celebrating a brother's birthday today and my mom's on Monday. Then, Thursday I'll head back for last pre-op blood tests a week from Monday. Right now I'm trying to avoid my grand nephew's cold germs but not him (he is 2 1/2). Just fed 16 people dinner at a last big social gathering until my surgery. I'd joke that my recovery period will feel like a vacation after this, but that wouldn't give proper tribute to all the hard work you and the other post-ops are experiencing!:angel:
 
Great news today! My knees hurt!!!!!!!! Why, you ask, is that great news? Well, I reply, because it is a reminder that my knees won't magically get better. Not that I am or will second guess my surgical decision. But a nice reinforcement, nonetheless.
That's so me too!
 
@Fawkes , I've been contemplating your advice to make a list of questions. I'm finding the closer I get to my surgery date, the more information pours OUT of my head! Any suggestions from the other side on questions to ask?
 
Just got back from my travels. I need to do a lot of catching up on this forum to see how folks are doing. In the meantime, I got the call from the surgery dept. I'm first up so I report at 5:45 a.m. on Thursday. The hospital is 30 miles away so it will be a short night .... Not that I think I'll be able to sleep.

Next time my legs will be shaved, someone else will wield the razor!

Spent a lot of family time. My mother was eager for my brother who had BTHR 10 years ago to give me advice. Never mind that the only thing his hips and my knees have in common is when I want to give him a swift kick to the backside. Anyway, as he tells it now, he took himself off all pain medication and climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro 3 days after surgery.:rofsign:
No pressure! Seriously, even though he set my family's expectations for my recovery that high, I will keep the faith, follow the mantras and let my knees lead the way.
 
Glad your see your post!! You are on the home stretch now!! :yay:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom