Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR 3 months Post Op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intetesting reading about falls. I find that it is walking down inclines that is tje hardest in terms of least steady. Does anyone know why we are more prone to falling aftet TKRs

Maggie via Tapatalk
I don't know but I avoid them like the plague! I found inclines to be hard on the knees both pre- and post-op, so I look for stairs if they're available.
 
I think we fall for several reasons--1. our muscles are still weak after the tkr. The muscles around the knee are not supporting it as well as they will later. 2. we are sometimes still taking pain meds which make us woozy at times. 3. A lot of folks are tenative and start looking down to avoid a fall--but that robs the brain of balance info. So, try to keep your head up! 4. It is easy for anyone to slip and fall---wet or icy pavements, muddy trails, roots in the forest, etc, etc.
 
I think we fall for several reasons--1. our muscles are still weak after the tkr. The muscles around the knee are not supporting it as well as they will later. 2. we are sometimes still taking pain meds which make us woozy at times. 3. A lot of folks are tenative and start looking down to avoid a fall--but that robs the brain of balance info.
I was really, really worried after my BTKR about falling---especially since I was recovering and beginning to venture outside in the winter time.

I also agree with Kelly---I also believe that, in a way, it is a self-fulfilling prophecy, as we get skittish and our muscles are not strong enough yet---and we do not trust ourselves---hence, we set ourselves upp for it physically and psychologically, too.
 
In January, after two months of recovery, I began to venture outside during the winter to get firewood. I was very, very conscious of the ice and the snow.

Now, I think about it, but do not focus on it, as I have more confidence in my balance and strength.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Completely agree, @referee54.
It had snowed a month after my surgery on the day I saw my OS for a follow-up. I was so terrified of falling that I was shuffling along in baby steps, looking down the whole time and gripping my cane for dear life - LOL!

In time, I forced myself to look straight ahead most of the time and it's also been helpful to relax the grip on my cane and try to use it to keep me steady rather than leaning on it too heavily.
 
I fell hard twice on my new knees. It's just something that happens. Kelly makes some excellent points as to the "why" we may tend to fall a bit more in the year or two following surgery. But one thing I think is that before surgery if we fell, we just got up and didn't think about it other than to nurse the hurt for a few days. Now we have new knees and it's easy to worry that some damage has been done. But.....as you'll see from all the falling stories.....it's really difficult to actually damage those wonderful knees.
 
Well I went to the Dr today for my (almost) 7 month post op...I have not been on here for awhile...my hubby had back surgery AND food surgery so needless to say...Ive been busy!!! Dr measured my ROM and it was 123 on both knees and Im happy with that! I have been swimming, exercising in the pool and this has helped a lot! I can say that I think I am over the daily pain hump! I don't wake up every morning with that stiffness and pain (yay!)!! I still get sore and stiff but it is definitely getting better! As for the fall I took in March, Dr thinks I tore my labrum in my hip so I have to get an MRI, at lease I didn't break a hip!!!!!!! Pretty easy to repair if I tore it :flwrysmile:.
 
Ha!!! Im reading my old posts and OH BOY was I wrong about my ROM!!!!!!! I was trying to measure it myself :rofsign:!!!! Now I know its 123!!!!! Im nowhere near 130!!!!!!!
 
Thanks for coming back and posting!! I am sorry to read about all that you and your husband have been through---but your post is awesome, and you have given others hope ---those folks who are in the midst of the "Dark Days of Recovery"---now see through your post that there is indeed light at the end of the tunnel!
 
Hi All
Im checking in again and I didn't tear anything in my hip...in fact it is arthritis and eventually I will have to have BOTH hips replaced! NO!!!!!!! But Im not going there right now! Dr said maybe in 10 years! He said to start with injections, I remember those in my knees and they didn't do much! Just call me the bionic woman! As far as the knees go I would say that Im doing pretty well, Nov will be 1 year, still have stillness, but pain has subsided, went on a 10 hour car ride and I was fine! I may even try yoga again. I can do 45 mins on the elliptical with no problems at all! The only thing I really can't do is kneel, that really bothers me and I am still numb on the outer part of both knees. But other than that, all is well! :loveshwr:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom