Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR 3 months Post Op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @oldrugbyprop the rubber bad feeling is around the knees. I have that "dead zone" as you call it on the outside of both knees as well. Pretty numb. I have stayed away from all the weight machines and the treadmill, just tried the elliptical. My passion was yoga but I'm afraid to go back to it. I just can't see my knees bending that way . Although I know a few yogis that have had knee replacement... Maybe later I'll give it a try. 4 weeks after the BTKR I also had a hysterectomy so I'm healing from that too! I had a very eventful Nov and Dec :spin::wowspring:
 
@katiejarr with everything you have gone through the best thing you can do is rest and just do daily activities with some slides......I have been able to do things lately without thinking and I would bet you will be able to get back to Yoga if you give yourself some time..if your ROM is accurate it is just a matter of letting the healing process continue......tough to do if you are driven but necessary..

Vinny
 
@vinny do you of a good app for the iPad or iPhone to measure ROM accurately? Thanks!!!!!:thankyou:
 
Wow @katiejarr you really have had your plate full eh. I believe @vinny does have an app for measuring ROM or definitely someone does here. As Vinny said with time I expect you'll be right back to the yoga. There are a few Yogi's on here as well as Skier's and a lot of cyclists. The big thing is to get used to putting pressure on the knees again while kneeling and such. I knelt accidentally the other day while falling in the snow. oddly it didn't hurt just felt weird. Hopefully with time I'll be able to. Lots of Reno jobs to do not to mention working on cars and stuff. Keep up the good work and take it slow. Cheers, Harry.
 
hi @katiejarr I'm just home from having a BTKR on 28 January 2015. This forum is awesome for advice and support - listen to the collective experience and you will see improvements.
There are no prizes for pain, and there is really no gain with pain. PATIENCE and being gentle with yourself are the keys - if it hurts stop - only exercise to discomfort, not pain. I'm new into this recovery gig but this is what I have been doing and I am thrilled with my recovery. No its not pain free but it is all manageable.
Keep posting and asking questions - all will be good in time - cheers Maggie x
 
Hi @katiejarr ...I'm fairly new to the site but we have very similar stories. My BTKR was 11/24/14 and I am feeling all of the pain frustration you are. Rather than rewriting my story please check out my thread "9 weeks post op...help!" I just updated tonight so should be fairly easy to find. If you hang in there I will too!!
 
I started this week doing what I would call a normal GYM workout...

I think I may be experiencing the same type of pain and swelling your talking about...

I'll cut down the weight on the machines and decrease the duration on the cardio
:thumb: Exactly so.

Cause...
Effect...
Solution!

Indeed I would not cut back from where you are now, but take a break until swelling is gone then restart from almost nothing and build up slowly.
 
@katiejarr I went to apps on my itunes and looked up Goniometer the app is easy to use and I favor using it on my ipad versus the iphone....I used it after leaving the OS office and it was fairly accurate...it may require someone to help you if you are lying down to measure but it is easier sitting up....good luck with it. and keep icing !

Vinny
 
I have that "dead zone" as you call it on the outside of both knees as well. Pretty numb.
That numbness will slowly go away---it may take some time, but you will get feeling back.

I would not obsess with the ROM---it is not about the quantitative aspect, but the qualitative---as long as you can do what you want to do, and enjoy it, that is what matters. Yoga may not be out of the question.
 
@katiejarr I went to apps on my itunes and looked up Goniometer the app is easy to use and I favor using it on my ipad versus the iphone....I used it after leaving the OS office and it was fairly accurate...it may require someone to help you if you are lying down to measure but it is easier sitting up....good luck with it. and keep icing !

Vinny
Hmmm I tried this on my iPad and iPhone but I can't figure out how to get the picture on the app....I may be using the cheap .99cent one LOL!
 
Wow @katiejarr you really have had your plate full eh. I believe @vinny does have an app for measuring ROM or definitely someone does here. As Vinny said with time I expect you'll be right back to the yoga. There are a few Yogi's on here as well as Skier's and a lot of cyclists. The big thing is to get used to putting pressure on the knees again while kneeling and such. I knelt accidentally the other day while falling in the snow. oddly it didn't hurt just felt weird. Hopefully with time I'll be able to. Lots of Reno jobs to do not to mention working on cars and stuff. Keep up the good work and take it slow. Cheers, Harry.

Ohhh!!! Just the thought of kneeling scares me!!!!!!!!
 
As you've heard from everyone else, you are only part way through the healing process. You are learning that just because you "can" do something doesn't mean you "should." Back off the activity a bit. Experiment with adding on minutes again after a few weeks. I know I found if I slowly added more activity rather than thinking just because I was back at work I was completely healed and "should" be able to do everything, it worked out well. Every week or two I could do a few minutes more walking etc. without paying for it.
That "rubber band" feeling just takes time and listening to the knee to go away. But it will!
 
I have been having very bad lower back pain, which I never have when I am regularly doing yoga. Since I have backed off the recumbent bike this week my hubby suggested walking. So the last couple of days I have just walked around my neighborhood. Luckily I'm in Southern California and the weather is beautiful. Day one I walked 15 mins. This morning 25 mins then of course immediatly iced afterwards ( icing as I type ). So far so good. We will see what my OS says, I see him next Wed. Even tho he doesn't want to see me till July, I made an appt with him just because I want to check in! :happydance:
Have a great Sunday everyone!!!!!
 
Saw my OS today. I was WAY off on my ROM!!!! Left is 125 and right 115!!! He told me I was on the right track with my PT. All the pain and stiffness im having he said is normal. He suggested the Eliptical more and the recumbent bike less. Also he suggested heal slides sitting in a low chair vs on the bed or sofa. And lots of ice and ibuprofen. So I feel better after seeing him. So I went back the gym today and did 20 mins on the eliptical and 10 on the bike and so far I feel fine. I will ice when I get home (posting from my shop ). So we shall see, but for now I'm feeling better .
 
@katiejarr even if the ROM is off it is still very good....I think you are on the right track and walking is great for you....keep icing...did you ever figure out the Goniometer ?

Vinny
 
@vinny no I never got the other goniometer...knowing me I would be measuring every day :spin:
So I will just wait and see how I do in July at my next appointment :egypdance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom