Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR 3 months Post Op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep...that's me..weigh myself every day and check my ROM...good thing I'm not obsessive compulsive ...:flabber:

Vinny
 
Also he suggested heal slides sitting in a low chair vs on the bed or sofa
I used an office chair---I would put my feet on the ground and then slowly and gently slide back and forth, working to create more ROM. I also used a rocking chair and kept my feet on the floor---the gentle rocking motion also helped with the ROM, too.
no I never got the other goniometer...knowing me I would be measuring every day
Do not worry about the numbers---it is not about the quantitative, but, rather, about the qualitative.
 
We all look at the numbers in ROM as some sort of victory, I guess.

But what really matters, in the end, is not the numbers, but this:

Can you do what you enjoy, and can you do it without pain?

If you can do those activities and lead a pain-free life, than the TKR or the BTKR and recovery is a victory unto itself!
 
hi @katiejarr I agree with @referee54. You also need to remember that you are only 3 months out and our knees will keep improving for up to 12 months. Patience is the name of the game; well that, doing some exercise and icing and resting. Another way to do the heel slides is to sit on a chair with your foot on a skateboard and move it back and forwards (I use this one in the rehab gym).

Take care of you and gently work you knees - cheers, Maggie x
 
Been off the site for awhile..well I took the plunge and went back to yoga! Well being gone from yoga for 4 months and back with 2 new knees it was a lot harder than I thought. My regular class was better the the second class I took. My reg class the teacher knows me and he was gentle on my knees...the class I took this week was much more kneeling and that was BAD! My knees hurt for the rest of the day! Im sticking to my reg class from now on!!!! AND I actually found a pair of yoga pants with built in knee pads! So I ordered them :loveshwr: I can't wait to try them! But having the realization that Im not the "yogi" I used to be was hard! Its gonna take some time to get back in shape...the good news is that I could do a few poses with out the crackle and pain I used to have in my "old" knees...so there is light at the end of the tunnel :dancy:
 
:gaah:Well tonight we were going out to dinner and I am typically always looking down to see where i am stepping, because even after 19 weeks, I don't feel completely steady on my 2 new knees....but not tonight, and I stepped in a dirt planter area with my right foot, unsteady ground and DOWN I went HARD! I used my hands to break my fall and landed on the side on my right knee! Im ok and Im icing but a little freaked out! Interestingly at the restaurant (I fell outside and everyone eating outside saw me!) one of the women also had BTKR and was talking to me about how she had also fallen a few times the first 6 mos of her surgery...hopefully tomorrow I won't feel worse...anyone else out there taken a spill? Im assuming that if Im ok tomorrow I don't need to call the Dr, as long as I feel fine....it just shook me up...I just sat there for about 5 mins and told my hubby and my best friend to just let me be for a few...just a bit scary.:shocked:
 
You took quite a fall, the replacement is sturdy and should not be effected by the fall. The soft tissue around your knee is another story, and will be unhappy for awhile. You will find many here have taken falls, with nothing more that feeling embarrassed, and a few bruises. As long as you feel fine no need to call the OS. If you are concerned for any reason give them a call for reassurance that everything is OK. If you have increasing pain, redness, swelling, and heat, then definitely call the OS.
I am sure someone will be along soon with stories of their falls.
 
Im assuming that if Im ok tomorrow I don't need to call the Dr, as long as I feel fine....it just shook me up...I just sat there for about 5 mins and told my hubby and my best friend to just let me be for a few...just a bit scary.:shocked:

Ouch! I fell after a recent RTKR myself--actually, I fell the day after I got home from the hospital. A crutch slipped a little, and I lost my balance and dropped backwards, and as one crutch went up to regain my balance, the other foot moved, followed by the other crutch, at which point both crutches went flying through the air, as I went flying backwards, first crashing into a chair, and then hitting a rolled up rug on my way down--the rug having been rolled up so I would not trip and fall over it.

Brilliant!

And probably would not have been so bad had I not had in January a LTHR, and landed on that very hip. It held. But everything hurt like heck-the lights were so bright in my head it was like I brought the Northern Lights into the living room.

Of course, my surgeon sent me back to the OR for XRays and an ultrasound--thankfully no clots--and sent me home with an Rx that more or less said: be more careful! (My wife was rather more pointed.)

mm
 
I fell two days after I got home, fortunately it was on my butt. Fell backwards like a tin soldier. Took two weeks for the sore areas to heal.
 
@Muddlerminnow wow! @wberry Well its good to know I'm not alone! Thanks for all the responses!! Im feeling pretty good today...no bruises so far...just a red spot on my knee and my hip is a little sore. Thank God! It could have been a lot worse! :ice:
 
I think that most of us have fallen at some point. One of the things that contributes to falls in the elderly---(them, not us!!!) is that folks begin to walk while looking at the ground. Your brain needs to have your eyes up and looking where you are going to have good balance.

That being said, I was dropping off something at our church for a funeral lunch. I was 12 weeks out and still wearing a slight ratty pair of yoga pants, so wanted to get there early. I got there right before the funeral and tried to slip in and out! Of course I was rushing---and tripped over a sprinkler head---I tried to regain my balance, so managed to half fall down most of the walkway before finally falling flat on my face. I skinned my nose!!! Of course, I did this in front of most of the folks going to the funeral!!! When will I learn to stop rushing!!!!
 
I had an "almost fall" on the way home from the hospital. LOL! :heehee:

Had never used a walker before and wasn't sure how to get out of the car. Luckily, The Boyfriend drives a Honda Pilot (an SUV) instead of a small car. As I stepped out, I wobbled forward, then wobbled backwards and landed right back onto the seat. Embarrassing! Not funny to me at the time but hilarious when I think about it now!

Glad you're ok, @katiejarr !
 
I fell while going up the steps to the dentist - I knew there was a reason why i hate going to the dentist!
I skinned my hands, one knee and my forehead. My TKR was completely OK.
 
10 weeks out and a dizzy spell on the stairs coming down luckily my husband still does not trust me and was two steps down and stopped me but it scares life out of you if you are not happy tomorrow get a check up for peace of mind


20/01/2015
 
PLEASE NOTE THE ANNOUNCEMENT AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE
I merged your threads as per this request One thread for your recovery please?
Please don't keep starting new threads about your recovery.

The reasons for this are that it
1. makes it easier for guests to read the continuous story of a member's recovery - the most important reason
2. avoids people duplicating and repeating things like links to articles
3. helps us to refresh on what you've had done and when, plus what advice was given previously
5. keeps all advice previously given on hand for the poster
6. makes it unnecessary for the member to keep repeating surgery details
7. just makes it easier for everyone all round!

Thank you very much!
 
Intetesting reading about falls. I find that it is walking down inclines that is tje hardest in terms of least steady. Does anyone know why we are more prone to falling aftet TKRs

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom