Bilateral knee replacement questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, learning a lot on here. The Dr will only do one if he could and ask me if I wanted both done. I would say no, just too scared. But I think it's GREAT if you can do it.
 
He would not do it at the same time, said you increases the risk of blood clots and infection.
All evidence to the contrary! There are literally thousands of people that get both done at the same time every day. They do just as well as singles.
When you have one done all the healing goes to one knee.
That's just nonsense! You mean you think if you have both knees done they only get half the healing they need each? Utter nonsense!
 
don't need to do anything for the authorized of insurance the Dr is doing that.
I thought I didn't either but called on Friday to verify and found out it hadn't happened. I had new insurance starting 3/1 and my primary care doctor's office hadn't put in a "referral" to the surgeon so they weren't able to get it authorized until that happened. I ended up making frantic phone calls on Friday afternoon and it happened today. I'd advise everyone to double check if they haven't heard the authorization has come thru by a couple weeks before your surgery date.
 
Thanks I well check in a few weeks to make sure it got authorizes Thanks better to make sure then be sorry right?
 
Josephine, that's fine if thousands get it done NOT ME
I do as my Dr asks me and I am just telling you what my Dr told me
He will not do two at a time so to me it not nonsense
 
@ekars2
I had only one done, my right knee, and am glad with my decision. :)
Even though both needed it, I had my reasons for waiting to do another. And if I so choose in a few years to have the left done, then I will do it at that time.
 
@ekars2
I had only one done, my right knee, and am glad with my decision. :)
Even though both needed it, I had my reasons for waiting to do another. And if I so choose in a few years to have the left done, then I will do it at that time.
How is your right knee ???? I well be glad when this is over .I just got a cold all winter nothing now got a cold .I have 40 days to better …..
 
@ekars2 , While my research tells me there is little reason not to do both knees at once (and that is what I'm doing), I would never second guess another person's decision. Your doctor has to be willing. You have to be willing and able. Follow some of the bilateral stories, if you'd like, just to know it is possible and, even, desireable! (That has GOT to be nonsense about the healing going to half your knee:scratch::scratch::scratch:.. But do what you and your doc say is best for you. Your body, your knees, your decision (with the OS). Just don't NOT do it because of some myths, fears or outdated information. Best of luck with both surgeries!!!!
 
I've become very cynical in my old age, but I suspect many of these "rules" the doctors have are because of their own superstitions or bad experiences or for their own convenience or monetary gain and have nothing really to do with science or reality. Not all doctors, I'm sure, but so many of those old rules are going out the window now that I have my suspicions. Used to be you had to be a certain age, certain weight, and could only have one done at a time. All that is changing among the more progressive OS, thank goodness. But if you want to use one of those surgeons, then you do have to go with their rules I guess.
 
I wanted one done at a time, but three different doctors said I needed both done at once or they wouldn't heal correctly (both legs were bent). So I did both and didn't wear TED stockings or use an CPM machine, or have much ice on them for awhile, and I didn't get an infection or blood clots. Look at my age, if I can do this, anyone can do it. Keeping the fear down was the worst part for me.
 
I had my knees done a year apart---my doc also does not do two at once. Most of his patients are up and running the second day--not actually running of course!! He prefers that and I preferred him. Also, I was afraid that if I did two at once I would miss a ski season. Since they were a year apart, I was able to ski both winters.

It really does not matter---if you want to have both done, fine and if you don't it is equally fine!!
 
Once I decided my insurance would handle the surgery I then had to find someone who would do both at one time. I tried this years ago and had to visit 5 doctors and then my insurance changed. I had one doctor who was going to do it the same way yours is and then I was told that had more to do with insurance. Two full payments versus 1 1/2. I'm sure there is more to it but neverthelss i was forced to wait.

When I went to the doctor where I moved and he said I needed to have both done and I asked if he would do both at the same time he said no. When I asked why, his response was "Because you will die!" I swear that's was he said. Told me it was considered cowboy surgery. Said bye and never went back.

When I drove 60 miles to my present doctor he actually suggested it BEFORE I could even ask. He does them all the time. Said there was more risks because of being under anesthesia longer but he did them all the time. He ran all sorts of tests starting 6 weeks before my surgery date. Also said that the hard work was mine not his. I just had to be willing to do it.

Both of my knees are bad enough that I don't know that I could favor one over the other if I did that at separate times. I'd rather go through it once. Granted I haven't done it yet (April 8th) but I'm so glad to find a doctor confident enough to do them both.
 
Josephine, that's fine if thousands get it done NOT ME
I do as my Dr asks me and I am just telling you what my Dr told me
He will not do two at a time so to me it not nonsense
@ekars2 Don't take offence. My comment was not aimed at you or at your decision.

But I have to remember that there are a lot of people reading this thread who may take your doctor's opinion as a statistical fact when it is actually nothing more than his opinion which he is perfectly entitled to. But there are heaps of other doctors who do not share that opinion as evidenced by the great number of members we have here who have bilaterals done. I was just seeking to point that out, that's all.
 
@sleenie , part of the reason I chose bilateral is because I couldn't choose which knee should go first! They are equally bad, but in different ways. Now they will get an equal shot to be the best knees, ever!
 
I think it's a matter of your individual health situation as well as dr. preference. My 2nd knee wasn't quite ready when I had the first done but also my legs were very weak. I'm in much better shape overall this time. Also with the RA I think my OS wanted to play it safe.
People on bonesmart have done well with various timings.
 
I had mine done 6 weeks apart….that's just how my doctor does it. I'm not sure if I could mentally wrap my head around doing both at the same time. I was a bit concerned that my surgical knee would have to become my "good" knee in a matter of weeks, but I was doing just great by the time of the second surgery.
 
I agree, it really is a metter of preference. For both the patient and the doctor. If the doctor doesn't feel comfortable doing both at the same time, I certainly don't want him to. I'm glad mine does though. Both knees are equally bad so I'm not sure which one I would even choose if I had to.

@skigirl
You must be a great skier, I can't fathom doing that anymore. And it's on my doctors list of no-nos.
 
My Surgeon has no problem doing both knees or just one...and was the top orthopedic surgeon in his field when he left the Navy. I feel like it has saved the insurance company money too because I only have to have one major surgery instead of two. :)
 
My surgeon had no issues doing both at once. He did tell me that there is less money involved for the surgeon for doing both at once as opposed to one at a time (I'm in Aus though). He has an anaethetist who won't do both at once, so just had to book a day that the other anaesthetist was on.
My decision was based on one surgery, one hospital stay, one recovery - less downtime I guess. I was scared of doing one and being terrified of doing the other, if it was staggered. I need both done, and I get equal pain in both.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom