Bilateral THR Bilateral AVN but BMI “too high”

Hi everyone, it's been a while. I still haven't had my surgery. Things are progressing, but slowly. I am in so much more pain than I was too. The same day that I met the surgeon, Professor Skinner, he had my pre-op done that day. Two weeks later, I met with the physiotherapists and consultant anaesthetists, all of whom said surgery was essential sooner rather than later, regardless of my BMI. I am still on the mounjaro. My little boy will be 1 in September and I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that I will probably either be in hospital, or out of action for his birthday, which is extremely painful.

My question is, how long is there usually between a Mako CT scan, and the surgery? I had a scan on Friday afternoon and was told a 3D model is made of my hips to my knees, but surely, especially with AVN, your bones can change and deteriorate further? Would this not affect the accuracy of a Mako surgery?
 
Hi wabley,
So sorry for the increasing pain you're struggling with. I wish you comfort. :console2:

I understand the emotional struggle in possibly missing your sons first birthday, but take comfort in the fact that at that age, he doesn't even know what a birthday is, let alone whether it's celebrated on his actual birth date. You're going through this surgery to free yourself from pain and be the best / healthiest mommy you can be for your son, so its all good! You'll celebrate when you're able, he'll play with his birthday toys and eat cake without a care in the world about a date on a calendar.

My question is, how long is there usually between a Mako CT scan, and the surgery?
Your questions will be best answered by your surgeon or consultant. Consider contacting them for an estimate. This seems perfectly reasonable. They should have some idea.
Please keep us posted. We're here for you!
 
My little boy will be 1 in September and I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that I will probably either be in hospital, or out of action for his birthday, which is extremely painful.
Hopefully, you will be home from hospital and in recovery in time for your son's 1st birthday. Even if you can't do a lot, you can be there!

My question is, how long is there usually between a Mako CT scan, and the surgery?
You need to check with your surgical team on this. My surgeon likes to do the scan 2-3 weeks prior to surgery, but each doctor has his/her own protocols.

Wishing you all the best.
 
Don’t worry about the possibility of your bones changing between the scan time and surgery. AVN doesn’t work that fast. Although the scans help the surgeon, the Mako “robots” don’t actually do any surgery. The surgeon is still in charge and he can make slight modifications to what he does should he need to. I agree with benne68 that it’s best to ask your surgeon’s office for an expected surgery date following the recent scan. I’m guessing it will be pretty soon.
 
Hi @wabley. Checking in to see if you've had any news about the scheduling of your surgery? Give us an update when you have a chance.
 
Hi wabley,
Let us know when you have a date scheduled and we'll create a signature for you.
I will leave some pre-op reading below for you.

HIP PRE-OP GUIDELINES

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Nutrition is of paramount importance. Available here are dietary tips, nutrition basics and additional food supplements. These articles are both general advice on food and specific guidelines aimed at people both pre- and post-surgery.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at stories of amazing hip recoveries
@wabley
I have my first surgery on Tuesday 12th August! The plan is they will be keeping me in hospital for about a month and doing my second hip replacement whilst I am there. I am very nervous.
 
Hi @wabley. Checking in to see if you've had any news about the scheduling of your surgery? Give us an update when you have a chance.
I did not find out that long ago, but as I have just mentioned above, my left hip replacement is happening on Tuesday. They are planning on keeping me in for a month and doing my right hip whilst I am there. I don't think I know how to feel. I say that I feel nervous but actually I'm not sure I do. I'm more scared of it being cancelled or postponed than the actual surgery. And I don't truly believe it's happening because I've been so used to being not listened to.
 
Hello wabley,
Feeling apprehensive is normal. Wondering if there's a reason you're fearing a cancelation?
Try not to be nervous...I realize that is easier said than done, but you'll be in good hands with a surgeon you trust to replace your hips, bringing you relief from pain, improving your mobility and allowing you to reclaim life as you knew it before your hips began deteriorating. :thumb:

We'll be here if you need support before your surgery and available to encourage you in your recovery, so keep us posted. Wishing you comfort and peace of mind as you await your surgery next Tuesday.
@wabley
 
Glad to read that you don't have long to wait, @wabley. Please keep us posted on what they decide about doing right hip.

And let us know how we can help.
 
@wabley …. This is wonderful news. We all felt both joy and apprehension when our joint surgery was right around the corner. So what you’re feeling is very normal. I’m just so thankful you were able to finally locate doctors who are willing to help you regain your life again and felt they could deal with your high BMI. You will certainly have better days ahead with your sweet little son once this is done. I’m so happy for you!

Although it’s unusual to keep a patient in hospital for a whole month following surgery, this is good news too. That will allow you to be closely monitored as you begin to heal and it will ensure you’ll have appropriate therapy to begin regaining your mobility.

All things sound good for now and we’ll be waiting to hear from you once you begin your recovery. Of course, if you have any questions or concerns (or you just want to talk about all this) between now and Tuesday, we’re here for you. Take things very easy and the Big Day will be here before you know it.
 
I'm so pleased for you! Not very long to wait now and that is a blessing. I was incredibly nervous before having surgery but after, I wished I hadn't been so nervous because it was so much easier than I'd anticipated. That's easy to say with the hindsight of experience but I can honestly say that personally, I found it much easier than a trip to the dentist. Everyone was really caring and compassionate and it was all handled very efficiently and no sooner had I arrived than I was back in my bed recovering with more than adequate pain relief. Feeling actually, pretty good. I imagine you'll be busy over the next few days and that will help take your mind off things! I have my second hip replacement in a couple of weeks and this time I'm very relaxed about it. To a huge extent, that is because I'm thrilled with how much better I am since having the first hip replaced. I'm actually more focused on the anticipation of how much better I am going to be by Christmas and the thought of a new me for next year.

All the best :flwrysmile:

p.s. I understand that fear of cancellation... Only yesterday it occurred to me they could cancel. In the UK, people often report that they are aware of operations getting cancelled. In reality though, I think most are not cancelled but we hear about the odd one and the story is often repeated.
 
Last edited:
Hello wabley,
Feeling apprehensive is normal. Wondering if there's a reason you're fearing a cancelation?
Try not to be nervous...I realize that is easier said than done, but you'll be in good hands with a surgeon you trust to replace your hips, bringing you relief from pain, improving your mobility and allowing you to reclaim life as you knew it before your hips began deteriorating. :thumb:

We'll be here if you need support before your surgery and available to encourage you in your recovery, so keep us posted. Wishing you comfort and peace of mind as you await your surgery next Tuesday.
@wabley
I guess because I was supposed to have surgery at my local hospital originally and then they cancelled the week before telling me that actually they weren’t going to do it. But also, things already feel very different with the RNOH that I do feel more confident. I can’t wait to start my recovery journey on Tuesday!
 
I'm so pleased for you! Not very long to wait now and that is a blessing. I was incredibly nervous before having surgery but after, I wished I hadn't been so nervous because it was so much easier than I'd anticipated. That's easy to say with the hindsight of experience but I can honestly say that personally, I found it much easier than a trip to the dentist. Everyone was really caring and compassionate and it was all handled very efficiently and no sooner had I arrived than I was back in my bed recovering with more than adequate pain relief. Feeling actually, pretty good. I imagine you'll be busy over the next few days and that will help take your mind off things! I have my second hip replacement in a couple of weeks and this time I'm very relaxed about it. To a huge extent, that is because I'm thrilled with how much better I am since having the first hip replaced. I'm actually more focused on the anticipation of how much better I am going to be by Christmas and the thought of a new me for next year.

All the best :flwrysmile:

p.s. I understand that fear of cancellation... Only yesterday it occurred to me they could cancel. In the UK, people often report that they are aware of operations getting cancelled. In reality though, I think most are not cancelled but we hear about the odd one and the story is often repeated.
I hope this is the case! And thank you for saying all that. I’m more nervous about being away from my son than the surgery. But this recovery journey is all for him. He is the reason I will get better and will keep working hard. Where are you having your surgery?
 
I'm going to Wansbeck NHS in Northumberland. It has a good reputation but I haven't been there yet, my pre assessment was at a different NHS hospital and my first surgery private at Nuffield Newcastle.

I can understand that it's going to be very challenging to be away from your son. As you say, it's a sacrifice now but the benefits will be beyond measure, I imagine. Not just for your son but for you too. I'm really happy that you are finally about to start the journey that will be such a huge blessing to your life.
 
So glad to read you have a date and a way forward. Not long now!
 
This is all wonderful news. I so appreciate you being nervous being away from your son. But I think you need to look at it differently. For his first birthday your giving him a healthier better you - that's priceless. Of course it will be difficult, but oh the results will be literally life changing.

Give him lots of love and snuggles these next few days. The dates not too long now.
 
Hi wabley, :wave:
I hope you're resting comfortably and doing okay two days post op.
Wishing you lots of comfort and hope you'll join us on the Hip Recovery Forum once you're ready to share an update. Will be watching for you. :wink:

Link here -> HIP RECOVERY FORUM
@wabley
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom