TKR Bikeknit's Recovery Thread

Great update on your knees!

I‘m sorry to hear about your mom. At 95 she has certainly done very well being independent to this point. I know I dread the day I lose my independence.
 
It is time for my monthly update and I've been thinking about what to write. My changes now are so incremental. I pretty much do what I want, bicycling, walking, doing chores (well I really don't want to do those but I do them). My extension is still a bit from where my doctor wants it but I don't notice unless I catch a glimpse of my reflection, walking with my knees slightly bent. My knees get a little sore if I do more then usual or sit more than usual. Sometimes I'll ice them or take a couple of Tylenol. My left knee at 10 months is still more likely to act up than my right at 7 months.

What would I tell someone facing knee replacement?

I'm in the middle on using physical therapists. The right therapist can reassure you and help with any issues. They can help you learn your stretches and suggest alternatives. I think you should treat searching for a therapist like you do a doctor. Ask your surgeon and friends for suggestions. Talk to the therapist about their experience with knee (or whatever joint) replacements. Ask about how aggressive they are (you don't want someone too aggresive) and get a feel if they recognize the trauma of the surgery. Ask about the "window of opportunity". A good therapist will know that different knees take longer to reach best results. If they aren't working out for you, change. Some people do great without PT. I liked a little guidance.

Recovery is going to be slower than you think it should be. Relax and go with it If at all possible. Find the goldilocks spot on activity - not too much, not too little. Increase slowly.

An exercise bike or regular bike can help loosen your knees or increase flexion. See Roy's advise on using a bicycle.

Bonesmart is great for support and dealing with problems. Ask here. Some things that surprised me but that I found reassuance and help for: the numb spot, being unable to lift my leg, tight band feeling, changing from an overly aggressive physical therapist, the difference in recovery rates of the 2 knees, pain meds causing nausea ...

But you will recover! Slower or faster, you will, with rare exception, be able to do so many things you couldn't do before your surgery.
 
Time for another monthly update. We went to Virginia this past month. Our trip included: a belated memorial ceremony in Arlington for our friend's brother lost in the Vietnam War,

20210429_111856.jpg

A drive and hike in Shenandoah National Park,
20210430_134338.jpg


Bike rides on the Greenbrier Trail in West Virginia and the Virginia Creeper in Virginia. Thanks @sistersinhim for telling me about this gorgeous trail.
20210507_142019.jpg


You may notice that there is a fair amount of walking, pedalling, and hills in this post. I barely notice my right knee (8 months old) now. Except for kneeling, which I still avoid, it feels pretty much like a regular knee. My left knee (11 months old) still gets a bit stiff and uncomfortable after a long day of activity or multiple days in a row. But less so all the time. And it won't stop me from doing just about anything! Wishing everyone a great recovery.
 
@Bikeknit I have really enjoyed reading your thread. I am so encouraged, as I am sure other people are, too. I had a Right PKR 5 years ago and I am very pleased with it. It was a year until I stopped swelling after activity. It feels so strong and stable.
Two days ago I had a TKR on my other knee and feel much more comfortable taking control of my recovery. I am so looking forward to another positive outcome like yours.
 
Yippee! I am so glad you made the Virginia Creeper Trail. Isn't it gorgeous? Were you able to do the whole thing? We did it in two days, but my knee was 15 months old. I was more concerned about my foot and ankle, which I had broken only 4 months earlier, and wore a brace. They did OK, too.

For you to be able to do these things on 2 knees that are less than a year old is remarkable! What a good recovery you are having!
 
Were you able to do the whole thing?
We stayed in Damascus and had a shuttle take us to Whitetop. Rode from Whitetop to Damascus one day then did an out and back from Damascus toward Abdington the next day. We rode the full mileage but not the whole trail as we turned around a bit past Alvarado.

We stop fairly often and ride so slowly that lots of people pass us. But as I told my husband, "we're still moving". And we see more that way!
 
It was a year until I stopped swelling after activity. It feels so strong and stable.
I do still swell some after active days but less all the time, especially my left knee which seems closer to the usual recovery trajectory. My right knee is my super achiever - not because of anything I've done, just pure luck. My left knee is there to remind the right how lucky she is.

But the stability is so exciting isn't it? After the surgeries I realized how wobbly I had become.

Wishing you a great recovery.
 
Wow! You did great! I have ordered an electric-assist bike. My left knee and hip aren't in great shape and I do not want any more joint surgeries if I can keep from it. With the electric assistance, I can still do these wonderful trails that I love so much. Biking is such a good exercise both mentally and physically.

It's quite possible that your older knee had to have a lot more work done to it than the newest one did. That would explain why the difference in the healing. As we have said many times...no two knees are the same, even on the same person.
 
I have ordered an electric-assist bike.
Most of my women's bike group have recently or are soon moving to electric assist bikes. It is letting them keep biking and enjoying it. I'm sure I'll get one eventually but have to clear out a little garage storage space first!

Can I ask which brand and model you are getting?

Yes, bicycling is such a joy. I'm so glad that the combination of medical technology and bicycle tech is keeping us out there on those beautiful trails.
 
Can I ask which brand and model you are getting?
Since we are not to post links to off-site companies, I sent you a PM with the link that takes you to the bike I'm getting from Amazon.
 
Knee 1 is at one year. Knee 2 at 9 months. This will be my final update on what has been a pretty good recovery as there is very little left to say. I will pop back in if something changes.

All is good. For the most part I do what I want and don't think much about my knees. I notice that I've returned to sitting with my legs bent back under the chair. By my inexpert measure my right knee is at 135 ° flexion and about 0 extension (always the cooperative one) and my left is about 125 flexion and can get to 0 extension after stretching and quad exercises but probably isn't there naturally yet. I'm not worried. My knees are great. Swelling is rare. They don't hurt.

I did decide not to go on a 2 week bike trip in July as I wouldn't have a way to cut back if it was too much. But I think I could probably do it. My bicycling is the strongest it's been in years. Because my knees rarely hurt on the bike, I hadn't noticed their gradual loss of function and assumed my slowing speeds and difficulty with hills was just generic aging.

Best of luck to you all. Thanks for being fellow travelers on this difficult journey.
 
Grinding sound/sensation.

Okay, I'm back with a question. My right knee (9.5 months old) makes a sound, though it may just be a sensation when I get up from sitting on something lower than the average chair. I would describe it as a grinding or crunchy sound. It doesn't hurt at all but it's been happening for perhaps a couple of weeks.

I searched bonesmart and found a 2012 discussion of something similar and the advice ranged from "If it doesn't hurt, don't worry about it" to, "definitely call you doctor". I didn't see a resolution. @Jamie and @Roy Gardiner were on that discussion so perhaps they remember it.

Anybody who has some insight would be appreciated.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This is something that frequently occurs as your soft tissue adapts to having a harder surface (the implant) to move over than bone. It feels odd for sure and should go away or at least lessen with time as your body eventually adjusts to the new normal.

The key is "no pain." Should you experience any pain with the sound or feeling, it would be important to have your knee checked out by your surgeon. Fortunately this is rarely the case, so you should be good to go as you get back to life again. In most cases time takes care of pretty much everything during recovery. Congratulations on your success and on getting back to cycling.
 
Okay, I can't resist an update a couple of days after knee 2's one year anniversary. We just spent 2 nights in Petit Jean State Park in Arkansas, mostly hiking, mostly on trails marked medium to difficult, without much difficulty! Though with a hiking stick. Six miles of uneven trails one day!

Looking back, I think my disability was so gradual, I hadn't noticed it creeping up on me. A few months ago, I met a friend for lunch who I hadn't seen in a couple of years. After watching me walk to the table, the first thing she said was, "Wow, did you get knee replacements?" Didn't know it was that obvious.

What I couldn't do without comtorting adjustments:

1. Stand to cook a meal. It was get the pot started. Sit down. Stand and stir a little. Sit down ...
2. Squat to reach corners when cleaning or to plant flower bulbs, or paint a room, or anything else.
3. Walk any distance without frequent rests. Keep up with other people walking.
4. Stand on my toes to reach a high shelf.
5. Do anything extensive like packing boxes for a move without paying with a week of pain and icing.
6. Put my foot on a step higher than a standard step and push to bring my body up. Like on a hiking trail!
7. Ride my bike up a long hill.
8. Stand up straight.
9. Go for a hike and then sit in a car (or elsewhere) without swelling up til I couldn't bend my knees - or drive the car.

Every time I do one of those things I rejoice and imagine how things would be if I lived before this option was available.
[Bonesmart.org] Bikeknit's Recovery Thread
[Bonesmart.org] Bikeknit's Recovery Thread
 
@Bikeknit Thank you for the wonderful up date and the beautiful pictures! It is wonderful to see you doing so well!

"Every time I do one of those things I rejoice and imagine how things would be if I lived before this option was available." My sentiments exactly! Even the mundane things of life are so much better with pain free joints!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom