ConforMIS

TKR Bikeknit's Recovery Thread

OP
OP
Bikeknit

Bikeknit

Country
United States United States
Cool. I don't think I've ever had the flexibility to touch my toes either from sitting or standing. Not as a teenager, young adult, or any other life stage. Just assumed I was not a flexible person.

Today I joined my husband doing Pilates and one of the exercises is to sit on the floor and lean forward to touch your toes without bending your knees, of course. And I did it! Then I stood up and leaned down to touch my toes and I did that (without bending my knees)! I can only assume that all the stretching exercises I've been doing both before and after my surgeries really did the job.

OP
OP
Bikeknit

Bikeknit

Country
I'm watching a sloppy wet snow fall so probably no walks today. But maybe I'll get to try cross country skiing on my new knees this year! I hope you are all somewhere cozy on this winter day. Except those of you in the southern hemisphere who are enjoying summer!

6 month report on my left knee
Walking up to 3.5 miles. Too cold for much bicycling but using my bike indoors on the trainer as it really seems to help loosen things up. Biking inside is more boring so I don't tend to do it as often. My knee feels sturdy and happy. Still gets stiff when the barometer is dropping or after longer times sitting. Occasionally swells at the back but mostly looks and acts like a knee!

3 month report on my right knee. I've reduced my Tylenol to twice a day. My knee stills feels tender and swells a bit after long walks but occasional icing makes it happy again. Slightly better rom on this one. 130 on most days. My progress has been faster on this knee. Some possible factors: less agressive pt, having a repaired knee to take some of the load, a little less damage so an easier surgery, who knows?

I'm starting to plan some short trips for biking and hiking. Going to enjoy these knees as much as I can.

np7

Country
Good for you! too bad you don't live in California where you can get outside comfortably every day

OP
OP
Bikeknit

Bikeknit

Country
too bad you don't live in California where you can get outside comfortably every day
Yeah don't rub it in. This is usually when I plan a trip somewhere warm. Looking at the ne Texas trail and a cabin to be near some relatives for outdoor activities and a late February trip.

OP
OP
Bikeknit

Bikeknit

Country
When I consulted with my surgeon before my knee surgeries, I told him I wanted to be sure I could do 3 things: hike, bicycle, and cross country ski.

While I've got a ways to go on endurance, I'm hiking further and more comfortably than those last year's of knee deterioration.

And before winter hit, I could ride up to 10 miles.

Well this morning it snowed, more than enough for skiing. In my area the snow rarely hangs around so if you want to ski, you've got to get out there! I stopped when my knees started murmuring but they were way more stable and comfortable than last year pre-surgery. If it weren't for this forum I'd be worrying that I still get a little sore after a new activity but I know I've got more healing to do.

Happy New Year everyone, whatever stage of deciding, planning, or healing you are in.

20210101_141759.jpg

Last edited:

Margie013

Country
Australia Australia
It's been great to read your posts @Bikeknit. They are really positive and uplifting. And fantastic to see you out cross country skiing. I also hope to be able to hike cycle and cross country ski and although I'm at a slower pace than you I'm getting there. All the very best to you!

OP
OP
Bikeknit

Bikeknit

Country
Hi @Margie013 . Thanks for the nice note. Don't worry, we all recover at different rates. My first knee was slower than my second one and sometimes after an activity it is the one complaining still.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Douglass77
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom