BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Bickypeg's new hip

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by bickypeg, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Hoppy Nanny

Hoppy Nanny Sr Bonesmartie

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I take the view that why should I jeapordise recovery when all the little things I think I should be doing now I will be doing forever after... it’s a few short weeks...
    think we have our own built it stop... when you feel confident enough it means it’s time!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Fit4Family

Fit4Family senior

United States United States
    Same here with shoes and seatbelts. Left foot is so swollen I’ve given up with shoes. Going to need a great pedicure here soon. You were all so smart preplanning footwear. Can’t imagine shoe shopping right now. :yikes:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. bickypeg

bickypeg senior

A lovely couple of hours yesterday at new hairdressers now owned by lovely girl who did my hair in the past.Lots of chatting and laughing. Felt nicely pampered. A grey day which is disappointing after our lovely spring days but still no rain so decided to walk down our hill rather than up it. Definitely the wrong way round as it felt really hard work getting back - no pain just such an effort especially with new leg. Puffing and panting as though I'd walked miles.Need to do more walking but on the flat. Not sure whether after nearly 10 weeks I shouldn't be a bit fitter. :bicycle1:

• Like Like x 4
  4. bickypeg

bickypeg senior

Just looked back to see where @Klassy was at 60/70 days and it cheered me up!

• Like Like x 4
  5. Hoppy Nanny

What a lovely day for you @bickypeg
    Sounds like you are on your way... don’t worry about competing.. it’s your recovery & you sound like you are doing magnificently well .. so pleased for you.. normal life is just around the corner! x

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    Just build slowly and at your own pace. Nicer weather will start more & more drawing us all out to walk a bit.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Klassy

Klassy senior

Glad to have cheered you up!

I’ve spent many an hour scouring the forum for people with slower progress than mine to cheer me up. Dontcha hate those folk who leave the hospital on day 1 to run a half marathon, and leave the forum on Day 3 to get back to running the world. Not that I’m competitive at all ....

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. SarahBee

SarahBee graduate

Oh, @Klassy this made me snort! Yeah, I'm a real lady! Hahaha!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. SE Florida

SE Florida graduate

@Klassy You sure nailed it for me too and I'm cracking up laughing!!! Isn't that the truth and I'm really happy for them but, c'mon :bawl:!!! I've been reading a lot of the threads the last 2 days and some of our fellow hipsters are having an extremely rough time. So I'm happy with where I'm at especially when I can sit here and read some of these posts to get me through the day!!! @bickypeg, we're just "normal", whatever that is! :flwrysmile:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:hi:I hope you had a good Easter!
    This is the part of my recovery where I felt I was sort of in stall mode, so wishing you patience and peace this week!:flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  11. Hoppy Nanny

Hope all is going good @bickypeg

@Klassy my first recovery was soooo slow & steady.. it was only Bonesmart that kept me sane from all the remarks from people
    about why was I still on two crutches at 12 weeks... why wasn’t I back to normal like others ...this time around st 4 weeks it seems easier BUT I know recovery levels out st this stage.. so Im ready for a long haul, if necessary. So much better than pre op already x

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. bickypeg

bickypeg senior

Happy Easter everyone! Hope unlike me you managed an enjoyable holiday without joining the ODIC. What a ninny I am...4 perfect days last week when I felt great - I was convinced I'd turned a corner and felt normal and wonderful again. Sleeping more deeply, dry mouth seemed to have gone, no hip pain, and bright sunny weather to enjoy Actually managed to bring the bottles of milk inside from the crate for the first time in months.So excited I text the boys...
    So I did lots of bending, walking,tidying the garden, moving bits of furniture, entertaining grandchild, going to church,trying lots of different shoes,going out for a long family meal, sitting on hard garden furniture for ages, staying up late, eating so much chocolate I'll never touch it again, cutting out naps, behaving generally with visiting family as though I was perfectly OK even when I was starting to feel a bit fragile...and now I feel decidedly rough.
    Had been barefoot all yesterday, seemed a good idea, but this morning woke hardly able to stand let alone walk on old ankle which has been a bit of a worry all along, it was weak and painful and both hips felt sore. New hip and leg heavy and odd. Frightened myself terribly and decided I'd be a cripple forever.
    Felt much better after a long and deep mid morning nap, but still felt very odd. High blood pressure? Low blood pressure? Anaemia? Lupus disease (I'd been googling again) Hoping it was just stress but realised the weather has changed and thunderstorms predicted tomorrow so barometric pressure a bit to blame? And the palpitations could just be because of running out of decaff coffee...
    Seeing GP next week and podiatrist in a couple of weeks and might try to book one of @Apricot 's recommended physios shortly.
    Anyway let me be a warning to double hippies everywhere. Pride comes before a fall. Treat yourself like a delicate piece of china. Enjoy feeling better but be sensible. Don't pretend you feel fine just to spare your family's feelings if all you really want is a nice lie down.
    .:dead:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @bickypeg
    I'm sorry you're feeling a little rough. I'm saying this in love and I've mentioned it before....you always thrive when you're surrounded by your loved ones (family) and then it seems you crash afterward. You definitely stretched yourself and landed in the ODIC. That was a whole lot of activity you mentioned above in a very short period of time. I'll bet your family would have been understanding had you mentioned you need a break / nap. My best guess is you didn't want to miss out on a single precious moment and pushed yourself for that reason.

I'm happy you enjoyed the time, but now it may take a bit for you to recover. It's good you have an appt with your GP next week because I'm sure you'll be feeling physically better by then and hopefully receive any reassurance you're looking for. I think you're going to be fine. I'm sorry you're suffering, but with lots of icing and downtime, you should be good to go again soon.
    Big hugs :console2:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. SE Florida

SE Florida graduate

Ow, ow, ow :holysheep:Lots of ice!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

Oh no! It does sound like you might have got a trifle carried away ! And most of us have been there. Hope it all settles down soon x

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Hoppy Nanny

All what Layla said and more! Bending down & gardening... oooch ouch!!! I’ve got palpitations just thinking about all you’ve done with those two new hips!!! Take it easy for the next few days @bickypeg...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  17. Klassy

Klassy senior

Me too @bickypeg .

Maybe one can’t be a true hippie without a visit to the ODI Club.

Hope you recover soon.

And what the heck, perhaps it was worth it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. bickypeg

bickypeg senior

So wise @Layla ! I'm sure you're right. I was excited about everyone coming, and the youngest finishing his tour but the sun made me a little mad too! I will try to be 'good' in future. But I did feel so well. It was quite astonishing!
    But I'm feeling much better now if still tired. And you're right @Klassy It was worth it! (though I didn't think so this morning)
    You're all so lovely! xxx

IMG_20190421_195901_143.jpg IMG-20190421-WA0007.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  19. SarahBee

SarahBee graduate

You're a bare feet girl, too, @bickypeg !

Great looking family.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Fit4Family

Fit4Family senior

Love that saying, “Pride comes before the fall.” Ugh, I’m so sorry you’re in pain. Beautiful pictures. Every time I’ve overextended it has been trying to be “normal”. Even lots of talking tires me out. Sounds like you had a very full weekend. Hope you feel restored soon. :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1