Guest viewing is limited

THR Bickypeg's new hip

@bickypeg you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.
 
I've tried hard to lie with my operated leg at the ideal height but I find it desperately uncomfortable. I can't do it without other half lifting my leg and it hurts. And my non operated arthritic hip is very uncomfortable too. Fortunately the ankle and foot swelling isn't great and isn't painful. It does swell if I sit too long so I go for a little walk. Would just a low footstool help at all? I've read the articles and they do suggest it's all or nothing?
 
Do you elevate both...that might help keep your pelvis / hip not so after kilter?
I iced even when not elevated to the perfect height.
 
Yes had to do both. But I get the impression if it isn't feet higher than your hips it's pointless? If I could just put them on a nice footstool it would be ideal.
 
I had my recliner thankfully...I'm guessing up some is better than straight down.
Did most of my elevating with laying down.
Not very helpful all I?
Maybe someone has done better thoughts??
Hang in there @bickypeg
It DOES get easier!:console2:
 
@bickypeg,
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Hi! I just ordered a wedge pillow to use in bed or in the sofa to elevate to the correct height to reduce swelling. It should arrive by 8/3. Found it on ebay. I'll let you know how it works after using it.
I am getting tired of the recliner & always sleep in my bed overnight. I do nap in the recliner during the day when tired. Wish you good sleep tonight.
 
Hi there. Still following. I need to look at elevating and will discuss this in the recovery home. And they have ice machines. It was very hard to get one in an NHS hospital but the physio was keen on the idea and my enthusiasm so got me one. So far little bruising and we put this down to early icing.

Managing on two crutches now and, with supervision,moving sideways in small places to get to bigger spaces so out cluttered house does not seem too much of a nightmare when I get homeZz
 
Hip doing fine, district nurse said I could remove dressing and have a shower (although I still daren't go upstairs) Mainly using one stick and getting increasingly mobile. Ankle and foot puffy but always better in the morning after being in bed. Nights are dreadful though- cannot sleep on my back and wake because of painful knees. Once I'm up I'm fine and needing fewer painkillers. BUT a big scare last night as I put the light on and could see zigzag flashes in the corner of one eye. It didn't last long but as I'd had a torn retina before I was very scared. Torn retina flashes didn't go of course until treated. Have spent today feeling sleepy,washed out and a bit light headed (though painfree) and a bit scared. Probably just anxiety although blood pressure was low early on in hospital. Any bright ideas?
 
No bright ideas here but I wanted to welcome you to the recovery side of the forum. I guess my first suggestion would be to call your doctor’s office and see what they have to say. Because of the time difference, it may be too late today unless they have given you a 24/7 phone number. I wouldn’t hesitate to call that. Do you have someone there with you or are you alone? I’d definitely also take it VERY easy for a couple days and nap as you can since you feel so wiped out. I would think some more rest would be very helpful. As you rest, also see if you can elevate your leg to help the swelling and ice, ice, ice! I don’t think you can ice too much. Sending healing thoughts your way...
 
Hi bickypeg,
I can't help with your eye flashes although my blood pressure was also low in hospital and for about a week after I got home. Considering your past history it might be good to give your GP or optician a call.

It's 3 weeks today since I had my op so I'm just a bit ahead of you. I have lots of stairs in my house and can't go anywhere here without going up and down them so I have been doing them since I first got home. You will soon get your confidence. Remember up with the good leg and down with the bad. I have found that sometimes now I forget and use the legs in the opposite way which doesn't seem to be giving me any problems. I think you will feel so much better if you can have a shower but do some planning first. Make sure you can't slip and have your soap/shampoo where you can reach it without bending. I bought a shower stool with adjustable legs which has been very useful.

I have had a waterproof dressing on so have been showering since I got home. District nurse changed the dressing last week but it's really time I got brave and take the dressing off completely.

I am still having dreadful nights. I hate lying on my back. If your knees hurt put a pillow underneath them.

I hope some of this helps
 
@bickypeg ,
You'll notice that I have merged your latest thread with your original recovery thread, I notice staff has merged your recovery threads several times, please book mark your thread so you can find it for future updates. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Last edited:
I did ring the GP and he was one who knows me. Said definitely keep on with the anti coagulants and they wouldn't have made me lightheaded. Said he didn't think it was low blood pressure as there was nothing in the hospital notes but was happy to check it though he didn't think it was necessary. Also didn't think it was anything sinister (I asked him) but get back to the surgery if no better.
Son and girlfriend who are staying said they'd felt sinussy and clogged up all day - it had been thundery and very oppressive with a high pollen count. I've found the heatwave very hard to cope with.
Had a rotten night sleep wise and woke aching in lower back and knee again but the light headed feeling had gone, and no more strange flashes. Feel very tired this morning but not wiped out. Guess I'm too impatient and also rather neurotic and must accept it won't be a smooth recovery after only a fortnight.
Thanks for all the advice it's so reassuring having this resource. xxx
 
I'm no expert so take this with a pinch of salt. It may NOT apply to you. I had flashes at the outside corner of the eye for a while some time back it co-incided with post vitreous detachment. This is not usually a problem and does not require medical attention - it happends to most people when you get older. That is one possible explanation for the flashes. I tended to notice them in darker areas and they went on for some time. You can of course get that checked out when you feel ready.
 
Thanks. I did wonder if that was it. Mostly it doesn't tear when it happens so I was unlucky before although it was easily treated. I think I wouldn't have been so frightened if I hadn't felt so odd in any case. Brain tumour? Stroke? I was in that kind of mood.I think if I hadn't always been healthy and never in hospital before I might have dealt with the operation and all that went with it less neurotically!
 
Hard not to take every new thing and stress over it.
Some weird stuff can happen after all that trauma from our surgery.

I know I have never had an operation except a tonsillectomy at 12, so it was super anxiety producing.
Let's hope it doesn't reappear!
 
@bickypeg i concur with Apricot re the flashes. I've had episodes for years and a few times they were the vitreous tears - large "floaters" - that just seem to settle themselves. Other times they were what's called "migraine without the pain" and is a benign condition that feels scary when it comes on if you don't know about it. And it's not a visual issue per se, but vascular. Can be brought on by meds, or red wine, cheeses, coffee, caffeine, dark chocolate - yeast foods. Symptoms start with the kaleidoscopic zig zag flashes in one eye only. If you don't take a baby aspirin at the onset you can have appx a half hour of visual disturbances - sometimes that eye doesn't see part of the field of vision, it's goes to grey. First few times scared me so much I almost passed out thinking I was going blind, but later learned you can stop it all with a baby aspirin. It has been years now since I've had one. I'm glad the symptoms haven't returned for you.

As for sleeping, I found a small memory foam pillow for the neck ...used under the knee ...really helped provide comfort to me! I kept experimenting with all of the 42 pillows I now have in the bed to see what worked best where. Trial and error. Then when I could bend the knee enough, I found back sleeping with knees bent relieved lower back pain as well as a propped up neck and head. Work those pillows!! :)
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom