Guest viewing is limited

THR Bickypeg's new hip

Welcome to the group. I think we all say the same post the operation when our pain is gone. Why wait when you can be pain free and move around again.
Look after yourself and don't do to much to soon. Be the tortoise in the race, nice and slow wins the race.
 
Don't worry I'd still be on my walking frame from choice! I'm in no hurry and as I'm fairly clumsy anyway I'm taking no foolish risks. But the relief of being arthritis free- at least on my operated side.
 
:egypdance::egypdance::egypdance:
Isn't it just amazing!
You are doing great. Healing hugs and great job!:yes!:
 
Welcome @bickypeg ! I'm 2 days ahead of you.. it really does get better every day. I'm using one crutch only because I'm a clutz and the 2 made me feel more unsteady then just 1.

I agree the back sleeping is no fun, I've not even tried to sleep in the bed yet. I'm sleeping in a recliner. May try bed in next couple of days.

Keep on doing what your doing.. isn't it great to not have hip joint pain!??? Rest is temporary...
 
I was so foolish to put off the operation.
If I had a pound for every member who said this post op I would be a rich woman! Welcome to the other side!

Here are your recovery articles:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Bickypeg, I had surgery one day before you. I’ve been using the walker, but anticipate graduating to crutches today.
 
I'm not hurrying from choice! I'd have liked an extra night in hospital and I'm not at all confident. But if the experts are telling me I can do it I'll try it. And so far it's been fine.
 
Following your threads as in tomorrow so slightly behind you. Best of luck with your recoverys.
 
@bickypeg
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Hi Bickypeg
All you are feeling is absolutely normal, things will get better one day at a time until you see so much improvement you will be amazed. Watch out for week 5 feeling low, it seems many of us have that. Week 3 feels like a milestone in a positive way. Week 6 - lots of progress and what everyone told me about forgetting your crutch in various locations around the house being a sign of walking unaided is true.
I even got a lot more used to 'back' sleeping but the heat in the Uk at the moment makes any position impossible. At week 7 I started naturally trying out my side sleeping again, it's crazy how that helps so much in getting to sleep.
It will be OK, you will get through this
 
Interestingly enough one of the hospital physios said if sleeping on the back was difficult, to sleep on the operated side if it was comfortable. I can see the logic - no danger of dislocation. Anyone else been told this?
 
For sleeping I was advised to put my operated leg on top of a pillow and the other under the pillow. Do it at your feet. Plus I tuck a pillow either side of me. Have two behind my head so slightly elevated. Works for me and no movement.
 
Hi @bickypeg
I'm sure you didn't notice but this thread hasn't been active for 11 months.
Just an FYI in case you want feedback on your question. If so, please pose the question on your thread.
I'm sure you'll receive comments there.
Hope you have a nice weekend!
 
I'm confused about the pillow issue. After my surgery, I was sent home with a foam device that I had straps to bind me in place. It was placed between my legs. Sounds awful!! But I used that for about 6-7 weeks. My PT told me I could place a pillow under my knees/thighs during the day when I was resting. That felt comfy and took some of the pull off my thighs. It was a few months before I slept on my non operated side. I'm waiting on a date for a revision, so I need to refresh all the can't do's and try this ideas :-)
 
These posts have been moved into a new thread as the one they were originally posted in was over a year old!
 
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. This is the second time that threads have been merged for you, so please don't keep starting new threads, or posting in old threads.
At the bottom, left, of each post, you can see the date that it was made, so you can tell when it is an old thread.

This message was in the recovery reading that Jaycey posted for you, (in Post #26): While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread.
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Still not sure where to post things but at least managed to put photo of yummy granddaughter as avatar.
Panicking big time at 5.00 this morning as I'd got a little constipated again (definitely the codeine) and seem to have bunged up the loo to the extent I realised on flushing, water was splashing around my feet! Threw down some of my best towels and rang husband upstairs, fortunately he heard( he's a bit deaf) and came to the rescue. His help is a bit intermittent but he's good on practical things! Then spent a good 10 minutes thinking 'what if' and then another 10 worrying about how people manage on their own.
Also panicked last night about a strange sharp occasional pain in operated hip thinking it was sth terrible. Husband (who'd had thr 2 years ago) said it was just the stitches coming out - all lovely and dry round the wound.
Is it because I'm normally healthy apart from arthritis that every new symptom is regarded as something serious? Or is this level of anxiety experienced by others? I've always had a tendency to catastrophise but when you're busy it's easier to be sensible.
 
I think the senses are all heightened, plus having read up on the whole process, we are maybe too aware of every possible hitch that could occur -'infection, dislocation, fracture, etc., etc - maybe a little ignorance is bliss! I needed the op due to an infection 12' years ago that put me in hospital for a very long, very unpleasant stint, so every time I get a shiver or feel hot (which is a often in our current UK weather!), I worry that the infection has come back.

It's good to be awAre, but we need to calm down Captain Mainwaring! Not I just need to learn to practise what I preach.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom