PKR PKR Success - 1 yr out.

I have done my share of painting in my younger days. We built our home, a log cabin, back in the 80’s and I didn’t mind painting then, we hadn’t installed the carpet yet, so I didn’t have to be super careful! I used to put my not quite 3 year old son in his future room on a cot for his nap while I painted.

Those were the days! Best house we ever had. (we designed it, my husband built it) We lived there 21 years and then my husband had a job transfer in another state. It broke our hearts to sell it.

when does that happen exactly?????

@hhaze... Exactly? You want exactly? :rotfl: Well, um... wish I had that particular crystal ball. Imagine the money I could rake in telling people when their knees will be stiffness-free!

It happens quite gradually. It doesn't usually happen until several months out. There will be days where you think "no stiffness!" followed by days when you sigh and think, "stiff again." But one day you will realize you haven't felt the stiffness for a while and you're not even sure for how long. And you may still get a stiff day here and there, but maybe you won't. But that is stage when people start saying getting new knees is the best thing they've ever done.

Painting! I'm watching your thread with interest because Mr. Shoes and I are preparing to paint our downstairs rooms. I've already assigned him to do the baseboards. :snork: The kneeling, as you say, is the thing. He doesn't need to drag a cushion around with him. At least all we have to move is furniture. No laundry room involved -- though I wish there was! Would love a first floor laundry room. It's on the "Must Have" list for our retirement abode.

@SusieShoes, our laundry is actually on the 2nd floor where all the bedrooms are. It’s a unique feature this house has when we bought it 20 yrs ago. Beautiful loves it vs going down two flights to the basement!

I’ll post a pic when I’m done.

That is wonderful NG! That's what this surgery is all about...getting back to doing the things we like to do!

So, Monday will be 21 weeks since my PKR. Can’t believe it’s been 5 months already (technically will be on the 16th, but who’s counting?). Most days I’d consider myself at least 90-95% healed, then other days I almost feel like I’m back to 75%. I do everything I was able to do before surgery with no issues or limitations. I still have stiffness every morning but it loosens up after a few steps. No pain though which is good.

My greatest frustration is a nagging pinch like pain I get on the lateral side just below the joint, along the top outside area of the fibula. I experience this mainly when going down steps or when squatting to sit, also when standing up from a low sitting position. It doesn’t stay, there then gone. When it’s at the worst, I also have a sense of swelling so I’m guessing there is still a lot of soft tissue healing still going on. When it bothers me, I take Tylenol and the occasional Motrin, but not regularly. Wonder if I should?

I’m not worried about my implant as I have no pain when walking or standing. My chiropractor has suggested some gentle massage and minor adjustments to the lower leg (avoiding the joint itself) along with some warm compresses to help loosen the ligaments, etc. I think I’ll give that a try for a while to see how it goes. I’ll follow the compresses with ice to minimize inflammation.

All in all, still very happy with progress and no regrets on having the surgery. Still have at least 7 months or more before I can fully expect to be to a point where I seldom give it any thought. Can’t wait!

@Josephine, looking through the library I found the article on IT Band issues (http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/itb-ilio-tibial-band-issues-and-treatments.18936/). The location where the band crosses and attaches just below the lateral side of my knee is where I experience that sharp pinch like pain. It’s aggravated when going down steps or sitting, especially when sitting into my car. From the description in the article, I’m guessing it’s IT tendinitis? The article suggests one course of treatment is massage / chiropractic. What are your thoughts? Are you familiar with any knee taping regimen that might work?

I also have a partial, now 17 months post op. I had some IT band issues and scheduled regular deep tissue massage, a had one every two weeks for 2 months, then one a month. They helped both with soft tissue around the knee and IT band. I am now pretty much healed and stopped getting regular massage, but still schedule one as needed. I can do most of what I want. My long run is up to 7 miles; I can stay on my feet as long as I want; I can climb stairs 2 at a time, ride a bike, etc. My only weak areas are kneeling which even with knee pads hurts after a short time, squatting much below 90 degrees, and single leg extensions on the weight machine where I am limited to about 40 pounds. I just had a check up with my doctor, x-rays and exam. He says all is good. He said there might always be a little soft tissue pain.

@bill 3/20, many thanks for your comments! I’ve been hoping to hear from someone with longer term experience from either PKR or TKR. The more I read about ITBS the more I’m convinced that’s my issue. My left leg is still very tight, can’t sit cross-legged, etc. Stretching is hard to do, but needs to be done. Think I’ll follow your example with regular visits to my chiropractor for massage and adjustments to see if that works.

Good to see what you can do after 17 months. I’m not a runner, haven’t since my initial injury in my teens due to no lateral meniscus. Not about to take it up either. Lol.

@NavyGunns and @bill 3/20
So thankful to read recoveries like yours. Gives me hope I’ll be back doing the things I love in time.

I had IT band issues prior to surgery. They had me on 2 Naproxen twice a day for a week. It helped but that was a lot of Naproxen. If I have issues again, I would try the massage route first. Hope it gets better for you soon.

The location where the band crosses and attaches just below the lateral side of my knee
It would be much better if you would show me where the pain is using this chart

aa knee-references-horz.jpg

The article suggests one course of treatment is massage/chiropractic. What are your thoughts?
Never tell me you didn't notice that I wrote it?
I think it that case, you can take it as a given that I would be in favour of those treatments! :heehee:
Are you familiar with any knee taping regimen that might work?
You'll find information about taping in here Patello-femoral pain syndrome (PFPS), fat pad impingement (Hoffa's Syndrome)

@Josephine, thanks for responding. The location would be DLF4 maybe a little into ELF4, but on the side, not in front.

You previously mentioned Hoffa’s, but after reading your article on ITBS, I’m beginning to think it’s more along the lines of ITBS versus PFPS because the pain is on the side of the knee, just at the top of the fibula. My understanding is that pain associated with PFPS is more centered on the front of the knee.

I have absolutely no pain in the center of my knee nor anywhere around my knee cap, it’s all on the side. If I press on the top of the fibula and slightly in front, it will be a bit tender, but massaging it also helps relieve that tenderness. Normal walking doesn’t bother me nor does going up stairs, however, going down stairs and sitting or squatting definitely causes the pain to appear, especially if there is a twisting motion like when I go to sit in my car.

From what I understand, these are considered classic symptoms of ITBS?

I did find some suggestions for kinesiology tape application for ITBS that I might try to see if that helps over time along with visits to my chiropractor for some massage and adjustments.

The pain is not bad, more an aggravation than anything else. In fact, it’s really the only source of discomfort I’m experiencing at this time. No other source of pain of any kind. In time I know this will resolve itself, just want to help it along and make sure I don’t aggravate it more. NG

The location would be DLF4 maybe a little into ELF4
NG, you've not given me a correct reference. You've given me the column reference but not the row. So it doesn't really tell me much.

As for the rests, you many well be right!

:doh:course you did! Sorry!

So this spot then?
NG.jpg

That could be IT band though it's a little low, I think.

ITB and TB.JPG

I'd be more inclined to think it is something like this: tendinitis in the fibular collateral ligament.

fibular collateral ligament.jpg

That is the spot that I have that feels like someone jammed a hunk of wood into my leg and left it there. It’s been there my entire recovery.

Early on with certain movements I could feel swelling pop into that spot.

@Josephine, that is the exact spot! In fact, when massaging that area, when pressing, I’ll hit an area that is quite tender which is why I’m thinking tendinitis versus anything to do with my implant. Normal walking doesn’t really bother it, but steps, lifting my knee into the air, and especially doing so with a slight rotation to bring my foot to the inside like I’m putting on or pulling off a sock will sometimes really give me a jolt. I’m going to mention this to my chiropractor and/or PCP and see what they say. I don’t see any need to schedule a visit to my OS at this time. Over time, it should heal on its own. It will just take extra time since it’s constantly being used walking, etc.

Do you agree?

@NavyGunns
How’s that pain? I’ve been having pain laterally and feel it’s likely my IT band as well. If better, what did you do?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks
Back