TKR beth1954's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have that ripping feeling anymore.....thank goodness! My main problem is swelling which makes it feel so tight and makes it not want to bend much. So as you probably read, I "tried harder" yesterday and now today it's rather painful and of course, swollen.
I forgot to mention that I made it to a 90 degree bend yesterday. But there was nothing easy about it. I walk so stiff-legged which I hate, but even after I bend it to even 80+, that doesn't mean that it feels that "flexible" when walking. It still feels very tight. I have to really concentrate to bend my knee as I walk and even then it's still a bit stiff looking....... it helps too if I concentrate on walking from heel to toe.....but it's still stiff!
 
Are you taking anything for pain? Icing and elevating?
Good for you for concentrating on your walking. That's one of those things many of us really had to work on.
The fact that you made it to 90 should be encouraging--as the swelling decreases more bend will come.
 
No, it won't feel flexible or easy. That stands to reason. But it still doesn't necessarily mean there is a significant problem. You're only 10 weeks out. If you've not made significant progress in 20 weeks, then will be the time to start thinking about an MUA.
 
Hang in there Beth! I agree with the others about your doctor. What a jerk! Give yourself some time to get that swelling down like Josephine says. Do you still ice? I would be icing like crazy and really taking it easy the rest of the time. I am fortunate my OS did not push PT at all and I am in the U.S. so I agree with Bonesmart that less is better. I honestly think my knee just keeps getting better because of no PT. it seems to strengthen itself and bend more just in getting on with my life. You have been through a lot! I am sure your work has not done much to help you feel better. It is terrible to get to this point in our lives and not be treated well. My DH lost his job two years ago just short of having a great 30 pension. It is not an easy thing to go thru mentally. It could be the best thing to happen to you to get out of that toxic situation. Keep us updated. We care!

JoAnne
 
Hi everyone! I haven't been on the computer much lately.
So I got up to 90 degrees flexion last week on Thursday. Today I barely made 80! It was swollen most of the weekend. Today it was very tight and swollen as soon as I got out of bed! I was walking very stiff legged and I knew it would be a bad day. It was. I was stuck at my desk and didn't get up much at all from 8a.m. to 1:00 pm.
I had a different PT today. I kind of liked him. He did things a little differently than the one I usually have. But he was also a little bit more aggressive when stretching my skin where the incision is!!
I can't wait to get this retirement thing done! It's taking too long though. I am waiting on phone calls, setting up meetings, etc. I don't know how to handle money and I need some advice for my retirement. I get a monthly check plus we have an option of taking a lump sum out which has to be "rolled over" into another retirement account so that I'm not taxed to death. As soon as I can get all that figured out, it's gonna be on the way! Yes, my mental health has really suffered the last couple of weeks. I don't enjoy my job anymore. I haven't for quite some time now.
So I'm a little worried about the flexion drop today. I am pretty sure my surgeon is going to suggest an MUA. I just don't know what to do! I know that most of you would say not to do it. It just seems like I stay the same for so long w/o much progress.
If I end up having to have an MUA, it will be after our new insurance plan kicks in and it will cost me MUCH MORE out of pocket.
Life throws a lot of curve balls, doesn't it?
 
I would say don't do it for one reason only - this
Today it was very tight and swollen as soon as I got out of bed!
It's highly unlikely an MUA would resolve anything. In fact quite the opposite as it will make the swelling and tightness worse. I think you already know that, don't you?

I also think you might benefit from some lymphatic massage. Why don't you see what's available in your area and what the cost is? Also if your insurance will pay for it. (I know nothing about US healthcare system, I'm afraid!)
 
I checked out lymphatic massage. There aren't many people in my area that do it. My insurance will not pay any of that, but I have to find it first to worry about paying for it!
My leg is still constantly stiff. I don't feel like I probably could even get to a 70 degree bend today if I tried my hardest. It's SOOOOO big and stiff. I am on ice as I type!
Physical therapy has been weird. My regular lady has been working with someone else when I get there and they ended up putting me with different therapists. I thought at first that they just thought my therapist wasn't doing any good since I have been stuck at 80-something. So I called them out on that Thursday. They said that my regular therapist, Sue, has been working with a student (true) and that she needed to have some experience with a neuro patient so that is what she has been doing. It feels like they called in the big guns on me though because they have been putting me with guys that are pretty aggressive in their tactics!
Something I find odd though is that Sue (my regular therapist) said that she doesn't feel like I have a "hard stop" when she is working with my knee. But the therapist I had last week said that he feels like it does just stop when it gets to a certain point. It feels like that to me. I have all kinds of excruciating pain when it gets to a certain point and I just can't get past that.
I will be honest with you, I haven't done much at all this weekend. I've been stressed out because of so many things, and so Saturday my daughter and I transported 2 dogs (to help them get to a foster home) for only about an hour's drive (one way) and then I spent the rest of the weekend resting. knee has been swollen and stiff for the entire weekend. I haven't tried to do much for flexion exercises because it barely moves anyway.
So I feel like a broken record here.....no good news. Just old news. Swollen and stiff.
 
Beth, so sorry you are feeling bad. Try not to get discouraged. You are still relatively early in all this and there is much time left to make gains! The first priority is swelling! Good news that you are resting and icing a majority of the time. Be sure you elevate toes above the nose when you're resting and icing. You need a lot of all three!

You can do your own form of lymphatic massage. Just get your knee in a comfortable position (I sat on the couch sideways with my operated leg up as flat as possible on the couch. Then gently massage (rub) your leg in a somewhat circular motion from about mid shin to the top of your thigh. Move around over the sides of your leg and do the same. Assuming your incision is healed, you can use a lotion or bio oil to make the massage action easier. You can do this as many times a day as you want. I suggest you do the massage for 5-10 minutes each time. Follow it with some rest and elevation with ice on your knee itself.

Also....if you are having pain along with that swelling, be sure you are taking something regularly for that. When your body senses pain, it naturally creates fluid and sends it to the hurting area. So you want to minimize that pain/swelling-swelling/pain cycle.
 
I would concur with Jamie. I've always had problems with swollen feet and ankles, sometimes to the point where I can't get my shoes on which is a difficulty when you're rushing to get to work! They were also sometimes so tight I could feel my skin stretched and it was painful!

Then - not too long ago, actually - I suddenly wondered if massage would help but like you, couldn't find anyone local. So I tried it myself and found I could get it down really well in just a few minutes! I know puffy ankles aren't in quite the same league as your problem but hey, it's worth a try!
 
I will certainly give it a try. I saw some youtube videos about that type of massage so I get the idea of what they are doing. I like it that it's a "light" massage...........sounds good.
 
I have tried the lymphatic massage, but not with great results. Really didn't notice any change at all. I need to do it again and not be in a rush like I always am. (Not because I'm short on time.....just because I rush things!)
I'm exactly at 12 weeks now. My flexion has never gotten better than 93. When I got home from the hospital I was at 90, so in 12 weeks I've gained 3 degrees. My appointment with the surgeon is tomorrow morning. We'll see how that goes. Therapist says that it feels like there is now a "hard stop" when they are trying to bend my knee. They used to say that it felt like it would keep moving (IF I could tolerate the pain) but now they say it feels like it is stopping at a certain point. (Right around 90 degrees) Yesterday I could actually only get to 86.
I'll fill you in on the doctor's appointment tomorrow.
 
Yep! My appt went well. Doc was very kind and not in such a rush today. He explained the procedure to me and said he was gonna fix me up so I could get back to my life.
Friday, March 21st @ 1:00pm.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
In the meantime, do that massage several times a day. I don't know how much you tried it, but it takes way more than just a time or two to work. The lymph system is very slow to work so you really shouldn't expect results in just a day or so. It's a time for patience.

It does sound like the MUA might help, so I wish you well with it!
 
I am so scared about my upcoming MUA.
I am concerned about the pain I will have from it, the swelling that could very well get out of control, and the physical therapy......and concerned that this could happen all over again.
 
Beth....I know that fear of the unknown can be really strong at times. While I cannot tell you exactly how you'll feel after the MUA, I can tell you that almost everyone here who has had one has reported they had improvements and they did just fine. As with the primary surgery, if you hurt ask for pain medication. Your pain should be properly managed and, if it's not, you have every right to ask for something different to do the job.

Since you are already a BoneSmartie, you know that one of the most important things to help any swelling will be to do lots of icing and elevating along with those pain meds. If you get the jump on it, you should be just fine. Just plan on it from the moment you get home.

As for therapy.....this will be the time for gentle exercises. No pain. No pushing. Just gentle bends and stretches along with some walking around home.

We'll be right here with you. Lean on us, hon......we'll help!!!
 
I had my MUA today and so far I'm happy with it! Yes I'm a tad bit more swollen but not that much! There wasn't as much scar tissue as we had all expected. But there was some and now it has been "set free!" Doc said that he got the flexion as far as my other leg which ( for me) is a very functional 110. On my own I haven't gotten it that far but I'm sure I am getting it to at least 95 w/o pain. Just a little discomfort. I have been following maryo's suggestions and that is going well. Although I'm afraid it will freeze up on me again! I'm actually a bit afraid of going to sleep because I'm afraid of what my knee may be like in the morning. I have thought about setting my alarm every couple hours to get up, walk a little and do gentle flexion exercises.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck Beth! Sounds like all is going well!
 
My knee has been a little more tender today than yesterday, but still moving quite well. I have a PT appointment Monday morning. I'm anxious to see how that goes. I'm doing gentle stretches with hit, holding it for a minute, and then releasing. Then I stretch it again..and repeat and repeat! Feels good when I realize that my calf is actually touching the recliner because I can bend it that far! It was far away from that before! I don't know why, but I didn't sleep at all last night. I mean AT ALL. I was on the computer, on my phone (games, FB, etc.) but I guess at about 3:30 a.m. I might have dozed off a little. I think I was afraid to go to sleep and have my leg be immobile for very long, worried that it might freeze up on me! But all is well!
 
Great news, Beth!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom