TKR beth1954's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad for you Beth. You sound wonderful and so positive!!!
 
It's not in my nature to feel positive about much (sadly) but I do feel positive about my knee now. There is really a big difference.
Thanks to everyone for all your support!
 
I am SO disappointed! I went to PT Monday and things went really well. I was able to ride the stationery bike and make full rotations! I measured 97 when I walked in the door! Monday evening my knee ballooned up on me and has been huge ever since. It really didn't seem like I was over-doing it at all. I've been icing and elevating, but I'm just so disappointed.......and a bit worried too.
 
Don't worry, Beth. You just had your MUA!!! Your knee is a bit tender still and you've just overdone it a bit. Scale back, ice/elevate, and take something for pain if you hurt. It will take longer to "de-swell" than it did to swell up in the first place, so be prepared for that. When you get the swelling down, just start again but a little slower this time.
 
Thank you so much for posting here - I am behind you, and it is good to know that others experienced what I am going through now, and are surviving. It looks like you are doing well, and I am hopeful that I will have a good recovery, too.
 
I have a question for all you Bonesmarties out there.
During the MUA my doctor bent my LTKR knee to the same degree that my right knee goes. So why now does it feel like it just wants to stop at around 97 degrees? Is it just because of swelling?
Maybe I'm not thinking clearly.
 
Based on what I've read here, I'd say that's probably it.
 
Yes, that's most likely the reason. Your first priority should be to reduce the swelling with lots of ice, elevation and taking pain meds on a schedule if you hurt. All that's needed in the way of activity at this early stage is gentle bending and stretching.
 
I haven't posted on here for awhile. I guess because I hate sounding like a broken record. Last week on Friday I made it to 100 degree bend. This week has been horrible. Flexion down to 91 Wednesday of this week, and I have had a lot of pain in my knee. Feels like muscles, tendons, etc. But it's a pretty good amount of pain. It's swollen most of the time, and very stiff. It just seems like it will never straighten up. My physical therapist has been wonderful. She has been very gentle, and mostly doing gentle stretches and massaging it. Then she put ice on it and the TENS unit. I went in there crying on Wednesday. I hope I don't do that today. I will be going there in about an hour. I am extremely discouraged at this point. I have talked to people who have problems with there knees for years after surgery and I'm so afraid that this is going to be one of THOSE knees.
The only thing I did that might have irritated it was a tiny bit of yard work. I mean TINY too. Trimmed up a little bush, swept the porch, etc.
 
I know you are frustrated and worried, Beth. Some folks just take longer than others. You are still fairly early in the recovery process. At this point, you're just going to need to continue to baby it and wait to see what happens. Swelling can be a really persistent problem for some of us (and I count myself here because I had it for at least 6 months with both my knees). Right now, it's way too soon to cast yourself as a "problem" case. Try not to do that to yourself.
 
Thanks Jamie......I babied it all this weekend. I did some walking on it Saturday (we went to Hobby Lobby) but then I took it easy. I got on my stationery bike a couple of times but only rocked and I didn't push it to a big stretch at all. Mostly just for the movement of the joint. It's still swollen feeling but not as painful as it was.
 
5 months out. Stiff, swollen, probably about 90 flexion. PT visits ran out but somehow they managed to go over my limit by 6 visits. I will be totally responsible for those visits. With my deductible, my portion of the visits and the "extra" visits, I will owe over $4200. I don't have that kind of money. Someone dropped the ball there. It's being looked into. And to top it off it seems like all that was for nothing. Really bummed out and depressed.
 
Hi Beth - I would not be going to any extra PT sessions. I am sure you can just continue on your own. My insurance company only pays for 32 visits per calendar year. I also need my other knee done this year so I did not do a lot of PT. As far as paying the balance you owe I would try and work a deal with the PT to make small monthly payments. Even if it is only $25 per month. Usually they are more than happy to work with you! Take care!!
 
Beth, Jozilla is such a nice person. Between your insurance company and the PT, they knew how many sessions are covered. I would absolutely refuse to pay for those 6 sessions. I will agree that deductibles and copays make seeking medical care a hard choice. I will tear my hair out in frustration with you!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
Yes, I didn't ask for any extra PT. I wasn't keeping track of how many I had. I figured they knew what they were doing but I was wrong. I still haven't heard back from my insurance. They were going to check call logs to see if at some point they were told that I was about to run out of visits.
Meanwhile I sit here with this crappy knee wondering why I even went to all that PT.
 
They should bear at least some of the responsibility. Be tough and insist they negotiate the price down to no more than what they would have received from your insurance. Be sure to talk with the highest level in the company that you can reach....you need a person with the authority to make this adjustment for you. Do you have any of your insurance paperwork that shows what they paid for the covered visits? If not, contact your insurance company and get that information to show to the person you are dealing with.
 
I agree with Jamie, the company should have let you know you were out of visits. Be sure they make a significant adjustment. Check the terms of your insurance company agreement, the insurance company may require you to to sign an ABN (advance beneficiary notice) before the PT company can charge you.
 
The ins company is still trying to settle this. However, I am still going to be charged for several visits that were totally not covered. They checked all their records and the PT place never even made a call to them for approval or to find out how many visits I had left after my home therapy. At least I know who to blame. So I'm far from done with that ordeal.
Question about my knee: I am 5-1/2 months out. Still stiff, sometimes swollen, pain if I bend my knee much more than 90 degrees, still quite a pronounced limp. I absolutely feel like a handicapped person. I see my surgeon again June 19th.
Am I out of options? I've had the manipulation, I've had all the physical therapy I can have (for 2014 anyway) and it doesn't seem to be improving.
Would an MRI show anything to explain this? It's really hard to accept that this is as good as it's gonna get.
 
Some feeling of stiffness would not be unusual at 5+ months. I don't know about the bend, but some of our members continued to gain all year.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom