TKR beth1954's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with stiffness, pain and swelling @ nearly 7 months post-op, has anyone ever had more than one manipulation?
I'm still at a 90 degree bend, limping rather badly and pain especially if I do something that bends my leg too far.
I still cannot get comfortable in bed.
 
I completely understand your frustration. I had my BTKR December 10 and the manipulation March 11. I still have a terrible time walking and significant pain, especially in my right knee, which like yours, seems to be stuck again. I continue to make very slow improvements in the left knee with ROM, but my right knee at the max on a good day is a painful 99, though a comfortable bend is much lower. And I still have to sleep in my lift chair because my right knee won't allow me to sleep in the bed. (I try to get in the bed a while every day in hopes that this will change.)

My surgeon (who himself specializes in revisions) has referred me to another revisionist in mid July "for a fresh look" at my case. My guess is that IF another procedure is needed, it would involve an attempt to remove scar tissue rather than another manipulation. I really don't want to traumatize my knee any further, so I don't know what will be done.

Be sure to post what your OS recommends. I hope you get some answers soon.
 
I feel like you should give it a few more weeks. Are you pushing yourself a bit too much and causing that swelling? If so, please try to slow down a bit. If you are just doing gentle bends and stretches and the pain and swelling continue along with no improvements in ROM, then I think a visit to a revision surgeon would be a good idea.
 
2H2K: I am so sorry you are having similar problems, but at the same time I am glad I'm not alone and that you understand. A lot of people have told me it's still early, but it's really not, is it??? It's been 6 months of misery. It's part of the reason why I retired early! It's a big thing. I too sleep better in my recliner than anywhere else. I'm always miserable in bed.
I'm tired of limping, I'm tired of not being able to even walk around in the grocery store for very long w/o needing the electric scooter there.
I couldn't get in until the 17th of July, so I'm very anxious to see what he says. I believe with all my heart that the joint itself is ok. I think it's the soft tissue. When I had my manipulation in March he said it didn't feel like there was that much scar tissue, but I only had about a week of better movement and then it was bad again. It never got any better than about 100. I feel like practically a cripple. I'm gaining weight because I can't get much exercise of any kind.
Thank you 2H2K for understanding!!!! I will certainly let you know what happens, and you do the same, ok?
 
Hi, Beth. I know you are looking forward to hopefully getting some answers soon. I thought I would let you know what the OS (the one my surgeon wanted me to see) told me last week. I was ready to ask a ton of questions when he said he wanted to rule out a problem with my back. Ugh. He said the pain in my knees could be coming from my back. I could see that if it were radiating pain, but not the kind of pain and stiffness I am feeling. I was too shocked to say anything and felt really dumb later. I had an MRI of my back yesterday (no fun at all) and will have to wait to hear the results... Please let me know what your doctor says.
 
Saw my doc.......I'm going to get a second manipulation on my knee on the 8th of August. He thinks that will take care of everything. I have my doubts but I guess we'll see.
 
Wow! You are braver than I am! hope it goes really well. Let us know the results. You are in my prayers.
 
You certainly have been going thru a lot. I didn't realize they would do more than one MUA. I certainly hope you find yourself with less pain and a good recovery! Keep us posted!
 
I hope this does the trick for you, Beth. I'll be saying a prayer for you.
 
I just feel like there is something more that needs attention. I guess I'll find out. I am in pain every day. It's really been hell--depressing too. I've been in pain pretty much every day since my LTKR in December 2013. Plus a few years BEFORE the surgery.
 
Beth - I don't think it would hurt to get a second opinion. At least if it were me I would. I also had my surgery Dec 2013. I know recovery can take awhile but you sound like you are still in such pain. I do hope you get it resolved!
 
Ok I've had my 2nd MUA. He once again told me there didn't seem to be that much scar tissue.
Let me explain how my knee feels:
It feels stiff, swollen and painful almost all the time.
Ice does not help
There is a definite tightness that seems to run right along the scar.

Doc said something he noticed was that behind my recently replaced knee (and I have extremely chubby knees) the fat seems to have hardened. And it's also almost like it has expanded or something. My other knee has "normal" fat that is soft, pliable. My left knee (behind the knee) has fat that is hard, stiff, not soft or mushy.
Have any of you heard of that?? What could cause that? He only said to massage it.
 
Sorry i cant answer your question. I do know if it was me I would see a revision specialist for a second opinion. Someone not associated with this surgeon. Hopefully someone with some medical knowledge can answer for you. Take care!
 
I don't think it would hurt to get a second opinion.
I agree with Jozilla's suggestion that you get a second opinion. Both @RestAssured, and @RunA42K are in Texas, and can recommend surgeons who perform revisions and are best positioned to evaluate your knees.
You are less than a year out, and may need to give your knee more time to heal, some of us take a full year or even more before our soft tissues heal.
I will tag @Josephine , to see if she can assist you with your questions about your knees.
 
So with stiffness, pain and swelling @ nearly 7 months post-op, has anyone ever had more than one manipulation? I'm still at a 90 degree bend, limping rather badly and pain especially if I do something that bends my leg too far. I still cannot get comfortable in bed.
Well, it has been known. What does your surgeon have to say?

I'm going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] beth1954's Recovery Thread
)


2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. which knee is it that has only 90 degrees of flexion? And is it very swollen?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)

Note:
If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of a 500kg bell bar = 1 rep or repetition.
Doing 5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set of 5.
And doing 5 sets and finishing = a session.
 
Hi @Josephine Beth has had a second MUA and still having all these issues - post #214
 
:console2:Beth,

If I am reading this correctly you had your 2nd MUA yesterday? Hmmm, the dr. said the fat had turned hard behind the knee? He suggested massage?

If the above is correct, having a second MUA brings more trauma to the knee and you might want to make sure you are icing and elevating the knee whenever possible. Any type of surgery is taxing on the body, so you need to get a lot of rest at this point.

If you decide you want a second opinion from a fantastic revisionist then contact Dr. Gerhard Maale. I hope that this MUA does the trick for you though! Take care and keep posting! We care about you!:console2:
 
RestAssured: I live near San Antonio, TX and Dr. Maale would not be on my insurance plan, plus he is a long ways away.
I'm detecting lots of doubt in everyone's comments. Yes, it's strange how my knee is. It should be so much better. For everyone who has told me that it's still early, that might be true, but it is getting WORSE, not better. That's not right.
I am going to make an appointment with someone for a 2nd opinion on this. I don't need the whole thing done over, I seriously believe that. I am so depressed, crying all the time.......I just retired for God's sake and I can't do a damned thing. I'm not doing any PT exercises. The more I do, the more swollen it feels. Even with just "rocking" on the bike. I don't know what the right thing to do is anymore.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom