THR Belweav's new hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
@belweav Did your OS recommend the ibuprofen? Quite often they recommend acetomenophen.
Somewhere on BoneSmart there is a dosage reduction schedule.
 
Thanks all. Went and read the article. I might need to try to withdraw more gradually. I think I'm being to ambitious trying to stop the pain meds this way.
:ok:
 
NSAIDS like ibuprofen interact with blood thinners -- what are you taking for that?
 
@Chihuahuan, I have more often taken ibuprofen over Tylenol. It works better for me. I'm on aspirin for blood thinners.
 
Belweav,
If I can be so nosy, what types of pain meds do you receive in the hospital and after you're discharged? I'm scheduled for my THR in September so I'm thinking/worrying ahead.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@BusterBeans, oxycodone was the only pain med after I was out of surgery. I was never really in any additional pain that required something stronger.

Today is a bit better and the anxiety isn't as bad. The hot sweaty feeling is gone.
 
@BusterBeans This is good reading regarding oxycodone and all the ways it is available. https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/features/oxycontin-pain-relief-vs-abuse
I had the long acting oxycontin version (10 mg) in the hospital. Percoset (oxycodone 5mg plus 325 mg acetaminophen) was available if I needed a higher dose. My insurance would not approve oxycontin for at home use -- their option was a morphia product. I chose just to use Percoset every 4 hrs at home then have extended that to every 5/6 hrs as the first step in withdrawal. My blood thinner is Lovenox injections and I can start taking Diclofenac (a long acting NSAID) once I finish that tomorrow.
 
Am I mistaken that ibuprofen should not be taken along with another NSAID?
No you are not mistaken. Read this Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers
My blood thinner is Lovenox injections and I can start taking Diclofenac (a long acting NSAID) once I finish that tomorrow.
Unless you have a version I am unfamiliar with, I was not aware that diclofenac was a long acting NSAID. In fact, I am not aware that any NSAID is long acting but if you know differently, I'd stand to be corrected!
 
Saw my OS today. Everything looks good. So hubby and I will be heading home to Yuma tomorrow.

I will return to work the second week of September which is eight weeks out from the surgery.

I'm hoping being home will help with the anxiety. It still comes and goes in waves.

I can drive in two weeks.
And i will check in with the OS in October as a follow up.

He also said with my right hip showing signs of OA now that as it progresses we will look into treatment to try and slow it down. This place has a research wing that I can go through for help.
 
Everything is packed. Just waiting on my son to get home from work. He's our ride home.
But my youngest grandson is having his birthday party tomorrow so it's a double duty trip.

I was cleared by the PT for my home care.

I just wish the anxiety would go away.:sorry:
 
@belweav Safe journey home. Maybe have a visit with your GP about the anxiety -- I know that surgery can trigger it for me. When I was being treated for breast cancer we found by chance that Effexor XR was very effective me. It was prescribed for side effects of hormone reduction meds but it made me feel more normal than I had in years. Blessings. Jen
 
@belweav - it's good you're going home and it sounds as if you're progressing well. I'm sorry to hear you are suffering with anxiety. I have had anxiety on and off for most of my life - it tends to pop up at times of change and upheaval. I'm surprised to say that I haven't suffered too badly through this THR adventure, although I was very apprehensive pre-op, it wasn't the really debilitating anxiety I've had in the past. Over the last few years I have been doing some mindfulness meditation exercises and I think they have really helped. There are a variety of programs available on the Internet - I used one called Headspace, but I'm not sure if it's only available in the UK. Anyway, it might be worth trying something like that once you get home, it might help.
 
@Chihuahuan I will make an appointment with my primary care doctor to discuss this because I need some relief.
@BizzyLizzy that is something that I can look into now that I'm home.

I was hoping being home would help but it hasn't though I was able to eat some last night. This morning, even though I'm hungry, food isn't sitting well.
I think it's funny that i have such an easy recovery, yet am dealing with the anxiety.
 
@belweav many of our members suffer from anxiety post op. Please don't worry about this - it's normal. You have been through a very major operation and everyone reacts differently to this procedure. One day at a time.

Small but healthy meals. What are your favourite foods? Time to focus on those "comfort foods" that are easy to eat. This too shall pass! Hang in there!
 
Well my comfort foods are chicken noodle soup, and I was able to eat some of my favorite Mexican food- a food I love. But that's what I have been trying.

And today was my youngest grandson's birthday party so I have spent most of the day sitting in a chair. It feels so good to lay down and rest.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom