TKR Beachy in recovery<

@beachy,

I’ve had a pretty uneventful recovery. Only issue has been a non-dissolving suture. I sent a picture to his PA and then did go to see him for peace of mind. I am a worrier. He was so kind and didn’t make me feel foolish for coming in to get him to look at it
I’m 10.5 weeks and getting around well. At some point the other knee will need done but I think I can hold off for awhile with cortisone injections, just like I did with this one.
I didn’t need any other pain meds other than the OXY I was given at discharge. I do have Vicodin here for my back and preferred that to the OXY.
I got personal message from someone you referred to him and she has an upcoming appointment. I hope he can help her.
 
Monday was my 4 month knee anniversary. So hard to believe how far I've come.

My left lower back and left hip are manageable. The SI Joint injection seems to be helping now. Next week is the hip bursitis injection. Fingers crossed!

It's been 6 weeks on an anti inflammation diet and that seems to be kicking in, too. Just started adding caffeine back in. So far, so good. Not gonna lie, that first glass of wine is going to taste so good! I'm waiting for hubs to be able to have a glass with me. That won't be for a few more weeks. :umm:

I've been able to kneel a little to incorporate yoga with pt exercises for the back, hips and legs. Deep, but gentle stretching has been a huge help. The strength and flexibility is coming back! and not just to the knee, but everywhere. I've missed yoga for the last 3 years. It's wonderful to be able to do some poses without the left knee collapsing. :yes!:
Wish I could say the same about righty.
Tootsie has never seen me on the floor. Now she lays next to my yoga mat and falls asleep. Too cute.

For those of you in those early weeks up to 8, 10 weeks or longer.....You'll get there, but you need to heal first. I'm still healing and will be for some time. Patience, Grasshoppers.
 
@beachy,

Good report. I’m 11 weeks tomorrow and your post gives me hope for kneeling and yoga. Going to try seated yoga first until my knee is strong enough. IT band bothering me a little but that’s not new.
I also have L4-5 buldging but so far that is OK.
 
That’s amazing!! Curious about the diet changes as I debated trying it to see if it helps with that knee tightness I still have. Mind giving some details?

I am terrified at the thoughts of kneeling. So scared it’s going to hurt like :censored: or do some damage. Then part of me wants to try as I’m curious if I can even do it.

Hubs can catch up later with the vino. For now celebrate anything! :martini:
 
@gia2cats .
I have L problems too. I can't remember which ones, but I think they're lower than yours. I'll ask the doc next week. I kind of glazed over when he talked about them. I was thinking "enough, already! I just had a knee replacement !"

This morning I tried child's pose. No way that was happening. After 30- 45 min of stretching routine I tried again and I folded up like a little kid! And was able to hold it! Almost cried. My knee flex must be great to do that. I realized that I have to devote time to stretch every day if I want to feel better.

My IT band felt like a truck ran over it a few weeks ago. Much better now from stretching out hip flexors.
Seated yoga is a great idea! I kneel very gingerly. Its still tender and I make sure to balance weight evenly.

I seemed to turn a big corner at 11 to 12 weeks. You're doing great!
 
Last edited:
@tracey
I'll pm you with specifics of the diet, but it's basically low carb/ no grain. Lots of veggies and fruits. No processed foods. Grass fed meats, poultry. Tree hugger stuff LOLOL. We eventually eliminated dairy, caffeine and other stuff. You have to be dedicated to grocery shopping and lots of food prep. You've been warned.:loll:But, we both feel so much better and no longer have cravings. I can't 100% say the inflammation is gone as it relates to the knee, but I don't suffer with some of the chronic health problems I use to have.
It helps if your hubby is onboard with it. Makes it so much easier.

No wonder you're afraid of kneeling with your knee issues! You should check with your doc. I'm very careful and don't kneel very long.
 
What a good report! I still can't kneel comfortably. I've never tried yoga and that might be in my future. I'm all for stretching!
 
@sistersinhim
It sounds as though you have enough going on with your implant than to try kneeling!
You can stretch many muscles without kneeling. Just stretch gently.

I've always loved yoga. The controlled breathing and stretching more with exhaling always helped me. I took more classes than I can count. It's like riding a bike...I didn't forget how to do it. And the well being I feel after a session is the best.

If you're going to try yoga I recommend finding a beginners class. Doing a pose correctly is important. A good teacher will gently help you.
 
My Y, that I just rejoined, has a Tai Chi class that I'm thinking about taking. If my implant is loose I certainly don't want to do anything that stresses my knee at all. So far, after my little bit of swimming, my knee feels pretty good today and only a little uncomfortable during the night. I've taken no NSAIDs at all today and will see how my night and tomorrow goes.

@beachy, I've been unable to kneel since having my kneecaps removed in the 1990s. When getting up from the floor, I turn over and face the floor with my butt up in the air and my feet and hands on the floor. I then walk up with hands. It's not a pretty sight, but it works!
 
Hi @beachy sounds like you are making good progress, I am going to look into some Yoga for beginners now I have lost all my weight,
How's the hubby hope he is doing well, are you living at the beach yet:flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
@gecko (aka Skinny)
Plans have changed for the beach move. :sad:
We're going to live local so hubs can be near his doctors. He had another outpatient surgery yesterday. Should be the last one. Results on Tues.
The beach condo will be our second home. Only 2 1/2 hrs away.
All is good. Maybe in the future we can resume the moving plans.

Good for you for beginning yoga! Be very careful of those knees.
 
@sistersinhim .
Sounds like the way that you get up from the floor is downward dog. A standard yoga pose! You're more flexible than you think!

I've always wanted to try Tai Chi! Go for it!
 
It's 60° and sunny today. I walked Tootsie at least 2 miles! No knee problems at all. The SI area was talking to me, but not screaming.
Snow is in the forecast for Sunday. You have to love Maryland weather.
 
Have you ever done a beginners yoga video at home? But maybe it would be better to start where there are plenty of people to help me get up, though, in case I have trouble. :heehee:
 
You're more flexible than you think!
Actually I am pretty flexible. I've been able to put my hands flat on the floor without bending my knees for most of my life. My hangup is I can't squart or pick up anything heavy with my legs. If it is waist high, I can do it, but much lower than that my back could be in trouble.

Beginner's yoga is a good idea Jockette! I bet I can find some at the Y or even on the web.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom