BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[TKR] Beachy in recovery<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by beachy, Oct 12, 2018.

1. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    What good news about being able to finally get to the beach! You knee recovery sounds prefectly normal. Remember, you are still less than halfway through this healing.

• Like Like x 1
  2. beachy

beachy post-grad

@Bismitmom1
    I'm glad you checked in, too! I'm not "in pain", just know it's there and annoying. Definitely better than before surgery, though. Does that sound right? Most days I take 2 20-30 min walks and stretch a little....Helps with the tightness. If it's too achy I rest it. Keep me posted on your knee!

@Jockette
    I know! I was in Bonesmart long before I got my surgery date. I caught up on your thread. The knee is allowing bowling, but still a drama queen. She needs to get over herself.

@traceys (aka Madame Pres)
    We had temps in the 50's today, but gray and dreary. Our winter had some awful days and seemed like it would never end, but it won't be long now. I feel like a bear coming out of hibernation!
    Be careful on the track this week. And I will check in more. Promise.

• Like Like x 1
  3. beachy

beachy post-grad

Happy to report that the back of knee tightness/pain has left the building. Once I started stretching the gastroc muscle at top of calf it went away. It wasn't the knee itself. It was the gastroc muscle that I strained right after Christmas. I think the extra walking without stretching it enough was the culprit.

Also, the snap, crackle, pop in the knee has lessened quite a bit.

I'm just a few days past 5 months and can say that tkr is the best thing I could have done. The strong, new left knee has helped the right knee. I'm able to be more physically active than I have been for years. If it wasn't for my back issues I'd be unstoppable LOL.

If you're in the early days of recovery or contemplating tkr take heart. It's a long recovery with a lot of twists and turns, but the benefits ( for me) have been wonderful.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. traceys

traceys graduate

Canada Canada
    So glad this was such a positive experience for you! You definitely inspire a lot of new-knees coming up behind us (and some of us lifers)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. sistersinhim

I love reading this about your knee, especially so early in your recovery! Now, to get that back of yours fixed!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. beachy

beachy post-grad

@traceys
    It wasn't very positive those first 3 months. It took longer than I had hoped. I struggled when I had to take care of hubs at 8 weeks, but it all worked out. I truly wish you can have lessened or zero pain in your knee.

@sistersinhim .
    Acupuncture and chiropractor have finally helped. Looks like I'll be doing that regularly .So glad I cancelled the cortisone shots in the spine! I knew there was a better way. Sending you some pain free wishes, too!

• Like Like x 1
  7. sistersinhim

Wonderful that you have found relief for your back! I'm glad you didn't have to get the shots. Cortisone gives me indigestion and flushing. I try to stay away from them as long as possible.

8. beachy

beachy post-grad

@sistersinhim .
    Ew! Indigestion AND flushing. Good grief. Cortisone was my knees BFF for a few years. The recent shot in left hip bursa helped so much. But in my spine? No thank you. The shots ave always been a last resort for me. If I'm getting shots I'm in a lot of pain. Just ordered turmeric capsules so hoping that keeps me pain free.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gia2cats

gia2cats junior member

I’m getting a cortisone injection on Tuesday for the other knee, 2 days before we leave for the cruise. I’ll have nice red cheeks the day after the injection. That will last about 36 hours. The first time it happened, I wondered what the heck was wrong with me. Was checking my temperature to see if I had a fever. One cheek will be redder than the other though. However, I’ve never had indigestion after the injection.