TKR Beachy in recovery<

Thanks @Celle..
So if the cartilage is shot it's replaced by the patella button?
No idea if I have that. I'll ask next week at 6 week appt.

My surgeon was very adamant that if my kneecap showed no damage during the TKR procedure, he was not going to place the patella button. He wanted to preserve as much of my kneecap as possible.

After surgery he told me the kneecap looked great, no button. YAY! :yes!:
 
I haven't even had my TKR yet, but I was told I'm definitely getting a patellar button. I actually asked for it, hoping they would say yes, as I'm sick of surgeries.:yes!: This will be#11, with my other TKR next May being #12.

Silly me thinks I'm lucky to have damage on the back of both patellas so I can get each knee fixed completely and not have to go back in later to do the patella button. I know, I know----I'm probably WAAAAYYY too happy both of my patellas are shot!! :heehee:

As for kneeling, I haven't been able to do it much in 20 yrs. I can't hardly miss what I barely remember, right???!!!! :)
 
I don't think the button would, but it may be that the tissues around your kneecap had to be manipulated a bit more and that might explain the soreness.
 
Does the button make the area around the kneecap more painful?

For me, not at all. Kneeling feels a bit odd and I don’t do a lot of it, but I’m not sure if it’s due to my bilateral patella buttons or simply having implants. Kneeling aside, though, I am not even aware of having bionic knees, much less a patella.
 
Good morning, Bonesmarties,
As far as my kneecap, I'll have to wait until next Friday when I see my OS. It doesn't even warrant a phone call to him at this point. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Today is the end of 5 weeks. I still have pain when walking or standing. The pain is still about a 3. I take oxycodone when I need a break. Or Tylenol. I still ice and elevate, but not constantly like the first 3-4 weeks. I ice several times a day for the length of an hour long tv show or set aside the time to read.

I took the little furball out 2x yesterday while hubs was at work. Just long enough for her to do her business in the cold wind. Of course, she wants to stay out and sniff every fallen leaf and bark at every breathing thing that passes by. Hubs has been a godsend with her the last 5 weeks. I still walk the hallways in our apartment buildings. I can go slow and be conscious of my stride. Heel -toe, keeping back straight, etc. If it starts to ache I turn around and go home. It's not far and I'm never more than a minute from home.
I made a quick, easy dinner last night with enough for leftovers, hubs cleaned up.
Whew! That sounds like a lot for 1 day, but I was in my recliner with ice in between.

I have PT tomorrow. I go 2x a week. I think that's plenty. If my numbers are good for my post op appt next week I'll probably stop pt. I have a recumbent bike in the gym and an eliptical. I can put them to good use several weeks from now.

My back is a problem. I use the ice packs on them. I need to get on the floor and stretch. Yeah. Not happening. I'll try the bed.

Tomorrow is the beginning of week 6! In retrospect, the first 2 weeks were a blur. Those days were filled with pain management and coping with daily life. I'm excited to see what progress the next few weeks bring!
 
. If it starts to ache I turn around and go home. It's not far and I'm never more than a minute from home.

Im glad you’re always close to home, that’s really good.

I would suggest only walk when you have to take the dog out. You really shouldn’t walk until it aches, if you can avoid it. I know the dog needs to go out, so maybe stop the hall walks in addition to walking the dog, and try them again next week or so, and see how it goes. Baby steps. Walking is good, but not to excess, at this point.
 
@Jockette Innocent
I know it sounds like a lot of walking, but it's really not. I take the beast out the back door and she goes quickly. I distract her from all the sniffing. Not even 5 min. It was just for yesterday.
It really feels good to take my hall walk. I can stretch out both legs. I'm not doing any pt at home. Even though I turn into a bobble head when therapist asks if I am. And if I start to ache I'm not far from my front door.

Are you getting snow? We have a few inches and It's so cold! Yuck!
 
I went through back issues several weeks after surgery as I started getting active again. I think in my case, it was my whole body getting adjusted to a new gait. I'd limped so long, I guess my muscles were used to it and didnt love being stretched in new ways. It passed after a few painful weeks. I suspect your back pain will eventually ease up too.
 
Not really any snow, a little sleet, mostly cold rain. I actually wore pants to bowl in for the first time since last winter! It was a practice day and only 3 other people from our league were there. Most of the regulars would be shocked to see me not wearing shorts! They seem to have nothing else to do than worry about what I wear! :doh:

Between my knee that doesn’t like pants, and still being overly warm since menopause, I wear shorts and sleeveless tops to bowl in. (still had a sleeveless top on today!)
 
You are on your way!! Thinking of you. It does get better (I’m 5weeks in)
Rest up.
 
@Jajakio
Unfortunately, I have a scoliosis that requires pt and home stretching. It’s been there for years. Traction really helps, but that’s out of the question with the knee recovery.
I’m glad yours is resolved!

@Jockette
Wow! Long pants! I know that makes your knee crazy.

@debbo14
You’re 2 days before me. How is week 5 for you so far?
 
@Motherbone
The purple ink has long since faded. There is nothing else that could have transferred to the knee. I really think from the way it looks and feels that it is soft tissue bruising from the inside out.
 
Hi all! I have just come back from my 6 week X-ray and app with surgeon. (Even though it’s only 5 weeks!)
He was very happy with everything I could do apart from the lifting straight out in front. I need to build up my wasted quads! I am in disbelief that I have come this far ( sometimes I used to secretly think it would never happen!) I am walking about 10 mins a day outside, doing a few things around the house and starting to feel like real life is around the corner:) :-) (: How are you going beachy?
 
I will be watching to see if your recovery mimics mine. I thought biggest gains came between week 6 and8. Now at 10 weeks , pain gone, can stand, and went to movie with wife Tuesday night no problems sitting. Hope it goes that well for you.
 
@Softtail .
I'm hoping the next 2 weeks show big gains, too!
Thanks for the good wishes. Week 6 begins today.
 
Today begins week 6.
I had another wonderful pt session today. My post op appointment with OS is Monday. I thought it was next Friday, but....my brain:shrug:.

I did the recumbent bike with full, slow rotations. She had it set for 8 min. When timer went off I was able to do 2 more min. Easy.
She massages the knee area and behind the knee and into the calf. The muscles had a funny name that I can’t remember, but it feels great!
15 heel slides, quad press into table, roller under ankle to let it hang for 3 min. That hanging sounds awful but it wasn’t uncomfortable. If it hurt I could stop. It kind of felt good.
In between these activities I walked around the facility just to stretch it out. The knee likes that.

No measuring. She did say that my OS should be very pleased on Monday.
I’m not sure how much longer I’ll continue PT if OS is happy. But, I feel so blessed to have found this place!

I drove for the first time today. My chauffeur was at work. Drove to pt and to the vet to pick up meds for Tootsie.

Conked out all afternoon. Where can I find some energy? A good day and 6 hrs later no pain from pt.
I’m still taking ocycodone in the am and at bedtime.
Happy Healing!
 
Wooohooo sounds like you have a PT with a great attitude. I had that same kind of afternoon just a nap kind of mood.
 
Probably your popliteal muscle at top of calf - I know mine has been very angry for YEARS. Just did my first home PT, great smart gentle guy, I feel better already!! Yay! Can’t wait til I can fathom getting the bike around once . Sounds like you had an awesome day! Love it!
 
@IronGirl6
I could swear she said gastro something, but that sounded too weird. As long as she loosens it up with massage she can call it anything she wants LOL
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom