Guest viewing is limited

THR Balancing Exercise & Hip Health Prior to Revision Surgery

Well done for sticking to the 0.4 mile. I used to add in extra houses on my walks, repeating the next day then increase incrementally and this worked well for my bilateral knees.

May I gently suggest that you start with 5 mins on the bike, for two days then incrementally increasing the time as there is so much hidden tissue and wound repair going on inside and 15 mins is a big ask at this stage of your recovery.
Here is all the relevant information re progression.

You’re right there’s a big psychological part too and it’s better overall both mentally and physically to keep improving rather then join the ODIC. (Overdid it club)
 
@Legseleven

Thank you for those wise words L11. Yes, I am pleasantly surprised by my moderation so far! I am bound to push the envelope a bit too much on occasion, that is only human, and why rest/consolidation days exist. But the more I stay in my lane, the moderate and repeatable one, the better. As to the distance of the walk, two things. Firstly, this revision I am fully taking on board that living alone/being 100% Self-supporting throughout is a substantial hip load in itself. Secondly, I am capped at 1 mile until I see the surgeon three weeks tomorrow ie essentially 6 weeks post op.

As to the cycling tomorrow, I say 15', but that would be the absolute maximum, and I will be playing it, or should I say pedaling it, very much by ear!
 
Wonderful update! Thanks for the detail. You're doing so well.
Keep up your measured approach to healing to avoid any Time Outs in the dreaded ODIC.
Enjoy the week, hip cycle!
@hipcycle
 
Today marks a whole month since my right hip revision, although somehow it seems more like half a year for some reason. I suppose all the monitoring, breakthroughs and symptom-checking tend to elongate time! Anyway, enough of that. My right hip revision recovery arc continues to hammer home how much more severe my left hip revision was in comparison. Not to downplay the challenges of the right hip revision, but I am clearly weeks ahead of where I was with the poor left hip, bless its little cotton socks. Fair play to the latter though: it has been rock solid as the main support anchor throughout the last month, perhaps proving that a complex revision and protracted recovery do not necessarily doom one to a sub-optimal long-term outcome.

As to the right hip, there have been a number of notable milestones in the last week or so. From a trepidatious start, I am now walking unaided reciprocal gait indoors more often than not, and this has come around seven weeks earlier than with the left hip. On Monday, I also walked to the local promenade in Aberystwyth and back using my Urban Poling Activator 2 poles rather than crutches, feeling pretty good while doing so, and reaching my current one-mile walking cap until I see Mr Steele, my surgeon, in a fortnight's time. My discharge letter prescribed crutch use for the first six weeks, but I feel the poles are appropriate for me outdoors at this stage, particularly as I was allowed 100% weight bearing from the outset post-op.

I have also returned to indoor cycling on Zwift, doing 35 minutes on Friday and 38 minutes yesterday, both rides feeling surprisingly good all things considered. I mount the bike using a stepladder by the way.

Another breakthrough has been returning to floor-based exercise, on top of my usual standing based ones. I have now completed two floor sessions, one last Wednesday and one yesterday. Yesterday's session included a full one-minute plank, 100 full press-ups, full prone I-Y-T holds balancing on the pelvis, abdominal crunches and other exercises. The biggest win, however, was 25 lateral side leg lifts on the operated side. I could not comfortably and repeatedly perform these after the left hip revision until around four months post-op.

As to the ODIC, or "Oh Richard!" club, I remain well aware of the need to be mindful of overdoing things. This is particularly relevant now that I effectively have four separate sources of loading: day-to-day household tasks (not to be underestimated for a 100% self-supporting chap), Zwift indoor cycling, outdoor walking, and indoor exercise. At present, as a guide, Zwift twice a week say is ample.

In considering capacity and exercise load, it is worth remembering that my right hip was, somewhat ironically, functionally high-performing and completely asymptomatic going into surgery. Against that, however, must be set the inevitable soft tissue trauma of revision surgery and the ongoing healing of bone around the prosthesis. My principal limiting symptom, and to be honest my only one, remains a right-sided glute ache. At its infrequent worst it is perhaps 3/10, entirely manageable without analgesia, but it serves as a useful reminder that healing of the invisible surgical trauma remains a work in progress and that I still need to be mindful of load.

To sum up, my first month post revision surgery has perhaps followed a familiar pattern. The first week or two felt like the classic "fake it to make it" period, where nothing much seems to happen, and then suddenly the breakthroughs begin to accumulate. As for the forthcoming X-ray, and the follow-up with Mr Steele in a fortnight's time, I do feel slightly apprehensive given the subsidence detected at the first post-operative review of my left hip revision. However, the circumstances are quite different this time. The left hip revision was uncemented and verging on salvage-grade complexity, whereas the right hip revision was a relatively straightforward cemented procedure. So, as I count down the days until I see Mr Steele, I remain quietly confident, whilst retaining what I hope is a healthy reluctance to count my chickens just yet!
 
Thankfully you experienced the less favorable of the two recoveries first. It has to make this recovery feel all the sweeter. You're doing great!

I bet your surgeon will be impressed. I hope you'll share an update after that visit. I will look forward to reading one.
A great rest of the week to you! :SUNsmile:
@hipcycle
 
@Layla

Yes, much better to get the baptismal of fire out of the way first, but that left hip recovery still serves as a benchmark, especially the importance of yes challenging the hip appropriately, but as importantly of pacing, banking the wins, and resting.

Hope you are doing well by the way, and yes, I will update post my checkup on 23 June!

Thank you Layla :yes!:
 
@Legseleven

Thank you L11 - now comes the period whereby appropriate load and rest become paramount! And by the way, my surgeon must know me very well, as he did me a great favour by imposing a 1 mile walking cap for the first 6 weeks :running:

Hope you are doing well also, and hope your procedure next week goes well!
 
@hipcycle
All is perfect here. I have the dog I watch here today and we’ve already tackled our first two miles. It’s especially warm and humid so I’ll be getting my walks in quite early today and then back to air conditioning!
Have an amazing weekend!
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Hope you're enjoying the weekend as you hit this milestone.
All the best!
@hipcycle
 
@Layla

Thank you Layla! Having a couple of lighter days this weekend, after a several days of some batch cooking and exercise, keeping that ODIC invite firmly out of play :tada:
 
@myglasshalffull

Yes, MGHF, I am less frantically driven with this hip, more trusting, and I also learnt from the left hip revision that big advances often come after say a couple of days' rest - good things come to those who wait!

Have a great Sunday:thankyou:

​

 
@benne68

Thank you! The easy weekend was just the right call for me, and the 1 mile walk yesterday morning, and the 40 minutes on my indoor bike this afternoon were all the better for that rest. My plan is to continue as I am - sensible loading for say 3 or 4 days, going by feel and how I am the next morning, and a day or two's rest between those 3 to 4 day blocks. Reliably repeatable being my mantra!
:biking::bath:
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom