THR Balancing Exercise & Hip Health Prior to Revision Surgery

@Hip4life

Many thanks for that, and will keep this to hand. Part of this is feeling vulnerable 3 days in from revision!
 
@hipcycle Oh, yes. Feeling vulnerable is definitely a reality, isn’t it? I think I found regaining confidence in my body’s abilities to be one of the most challenging hurdles in recovery. Intellectually knowing it will heal and be okay is one thing. Actually experiencing that truth is a whole other level. And now, you’ve been through it a fourth time. A day at a time is all you can do right now. You have lots of incentive to carry you through this “for now, not forever” time frame. Just stay out of the dreaded “over did it club (ODIC)” and you’ll be back to your life in good order. We’ll be here for you through it all.
 
@Hip4life

Also for me, the last few years have been emotionally turbulent due to a series of big life events occurring in short order, and the hip stuff to deal with on top. End result being that my system has been running on a doom loop/high alert fugazzi for years. But now, the big life events have been dealt with as best I can, and the hips seem to be on a great pathway. So perhaps time to embrace the positives in my life, and actually have the courage to hope, and not deny it out of fear of disappointment!
 
@Legseleven
Thank you Legseleven, i probably am, even though it doesn't seem like that on waking up in the morning. and those first movements being shall we say a tad uncomfortable! In spite of sometimes intense discomfort, the indicators overall are positive, and i have to remember this is still only the beginning of the fourth day post the revision op, and coping unsupported perhaps a factor too.
 
Yes @hipcycle it’s just the start. I do know how hard these solo recoveries are.
Was there an option for the community rehab team to come. Often called re-enablement? You can still ask for it.
If you search your local council website you’ll find the details and be able to ask. They can come daily from 2-6 weeks to help people get back on their feet after a hospital stay. It’s also a chance to see someone daily and that helps morale no end.
We will keep supporting you on here.
 
@Legseleven

No such option unfortunately. I managed my much more involved left hip revision 6 months ago self-supported, and all was OK. The massive difference is that re that revision I remained in hospital for 8 nights post surgery, but discharged after 2 nights this time - a massive differences really.

Yesterday was my first full day home, and today only my second, and the wild fluctuations from doing well one minute to being in intense pain the next is shall we say emotionally unsettling! However, all the metrics that count seem very favourable overall, my neighbour visits socially twice a day, and her offer to help is there, but I am an independent old codger!

The big joys this revision compared to the last are much reduced oedema, no intra op crack, no huge massive night sweats, oh and the left hip revision as living proof that I can do it.
Thank you so much!
 
my neighbour visits socially twice a day, and her offer to help is there, but I am an independent old codger!
This is wonderful to read. It's nice to know someone is close by if you really need them.
I hope you have a peaceful Monday, with minimal pain.
Take care.
 
@Layla

Yes, we have been neighbours for 25 years, always offering mutual support to each other through thick and thin.

This morning starts POD 5, and today I was able to get up first thing with acceptable ache/pain before pain meds had kicked in, whilst yesterday I had to wait an hour and more for that to happen ie feel the opiates and paracetamol do their work - so a big improvement really,

Did sweat a bit overnight but minimally compared to the nights post the more brutal left hip revision. My temperature this morning is 36.4C, near my baseline normal, and 1C lower than yesterday.

Thus overall, things progressing well. And I am now confident I will be a good boy and adhere to the physio’s advise to take it really easy for the first fortnight, to allow soft tissue healing. Also I will listen to Mr Steele my surgeon, and limit my walks to 1 mile until I see him 23 June ie 5 weeks tomorrow,

Therefore overall I am very happy and grateful, and will take it easy for the say next 10 days, and reassess from there.

Thank you Layla!
 
Last edited:
Sounds like you have a good plan . It’s so difficult to go these recoveries alone. I always wish when I read one that I could be close to the individual and pop in a few times per day bringing a meal or just offering some company & conversation.
But I will have to settle for being right here and posting.
Just know you are in my thoughts and only positive energy heading in your direction.
I had my partner to get me through recovery and even though he was here many days I still felt very alone. Cause no one knows what it’s like unless they go through it. And that’s why bonesmart is such a Godsend!
 
@myglasshalffull

Thank you for your positive energy flooding me MGHF! Feeling pretty OK this morning. Key for me is too accept this is a long recovery, and often 2 steps forwards and one back - as long as the former exceed the latter = result!
My aim is to be able to sit outside in the garden by Thursday, reading an Icelandic detective novel in the sun - bliss!
 
My aim is to be able to sit outside in the garden by Thursday, reading an Icelandic detective novel in the sun - bliss!
I'll bet you meet that goal!
That's IF the :SUNsmile: cooperates. :wink:
Glad you're doing well and know / accept there will be ups and downs along the way.
May the rest of your day be peaceful and relaxing. :thumb:
 
We’re experiencing gorgeous weather here in New England. Should hit 90 today which is very warm for this time of year.
Sure hope your book reading on Thursday outside goes as planned.
It’s nice to set goals for ourselves.
And you are wise to realize it’s a longer recovery than most of us sign up for!
But little victories in these early days are the best.
 
@myglasshalffull

Yes. steady does it - I am a bit better today than yesterday I have to admit, more confident in the kitchen, getting up and sitting down with more confidence, and have substantially cut back on opiates - last Morphine was near 30 hours ago, and main pain meds now paracetamol and say 60mg codeine two or three times a day.

As to the weather, still distinctly drizzly and only 15C today (ideal for me as no temptation to go out yet!), but 25C forecast by weekend (mid 70s Fahrenheit I think).

And hope you are doing well post the hernia op :)
 
You’re making progress! I love it! I think getting through first week or 10 days is worst part. Then you start knowing what hurts, what doesn’t. And being here and having others to talk really helps.
And I came through my hernia repair with flying colors, thanks for asking! @hipcycle
Another hot day here then back to more seasonable temperatures.
 
@myglasshalffull

Glad to hear the surgery went well. I am tired today, with significant soft tissue ache around the trochanter area and above and behind - but no sharpness to it, and no groin pain say. Plus the incision wound under the well sealed dressing, and the surrounding skin all look outstandingly unremarkable!

Today is one of those typical one step back days following a two steps forward one the day before. So I have no actual prosthesis integrity concern, just extra incentive to rest, relax, recuperate, and be kind to myself!
 
You're doing it! One week down...Happy One Week Anniversary!
I remember one week post op as the first milestone I wanted to reach. Even though recovery is ever evolving, by one week post op, you begin establishing a routine that works comfortably for you.
Happy Wednesday, hipcycle. :thumb:
@hipcycle
 
@Layla

Thank you Layla! Yes one week today I was in HDU on a post-anaesthetic euphoric high! Today has been one of those classic one step back days - tired, achy, headache. But in spite of that I am better today than I was say the weekend by a big margin. And, a surprise for me, I am finding it easier than I thought to take it easy this time. With the left hip recovery, and its complications, I was hyperactive early recovery, desperate to prove that everything would be ok. And to be fair to me, the challenges I faced than re the Quad Inhibition etc perhaps warranted some of that. But this time Chilled Out Vibe Rules!
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom