Guest viewing is limited

THR Balancing Exercise & Hip Health Prior to Revision Surgery

I enjoyed 9 miles of walking over two days with little dog I dog sit. His Mom & Dad went to a wedding for the weekend.
Of course I break up the walks over the course of the day not all at once. We do 3 walks which usually add up to close to 4 miles maybe a little more. He sleeps really soundly! And so do I!
Today I will relax! But feel very good, not sore at all.
I’m blessed to be able to walk distances because it’s my favorite form of exercise and always has been.
Hope you have a wonderful start to your week.
 
@myglasshalffull

Excellent you had a nice constructive weekend MGHF, with the little dog in tow. Yesterday was a rest/consolidation day for me, the first in a few days, so well timed I hope.

You have a great rest of the week also :egypdance:
 
Two months to date since your revision. Happy Two Month Anniversary, hipcycle!
Wishing you a lovely week. I hope it's cooled off for you, I know you've been experiencing some high temps in parts of the UK. May this week be a good one! :thumb:
@hipcycle
 
@Layla

Yes, two calendar months today! The temperatures have been in the high 20s and early 30s here in Aberystwyth (80°F to low 90s), but I absolutely love the heat.

My recovery is going well for both hips. The last seven days have been another major breakthrough - I have clocked over 30 miles of hiking with a few thousand feet of cumulative elevation gain and loss, logged about 3 hours of indoor cycling on Zwift, and maintained a solid routine of Pilates and core work. Crucially, this volume has felt entirely repeatable and sustainable.

Up until today, I had been experiencing a persistent right-hand-side glute ache when walking (the side revised 2 months ago). It would show up from my very first step outdoors—mostly behaving as a non-escalating ache—and would cease the moment I stopped walking. I kept on hiking because I knew in my bones (LOL) that loading the tissue was the way forward. Today, on my longest hike since the right hip revision (6 miles with over 700 feet of both ascent and descent), the glute ache completely vanished. Not a single twinge from the first step to the last.

This quantum delta overnight seems to support my hypothesis regarding this glute ache, the hypothesis dating from about 3 weeks post-op. While some of it was undoubtedly structural glute disruption from the surgery itself, I contend that a major part of it—especially over the last fortnight—was amygdala-mediated guarding. As my amygdala received a continuous stream of positive evidence during my hikes, it eventually amended its predictive coding approach regarding my right hip.

As often happens with neural pattern shifts, the change was dramatic and occurred overnight. Up until yesterday, my amygdala felt the need to protect the surgical site (resulting in guarding and perceived ache); today, it finally gave the hip construct a big green light, and the ache was gone!

Whether my neurological theory is correct or not, having a plausible narrative arc to hang my recovery on is incredibly important to me. But the bottom line (LOL again)—and the thing I am so humbly grateful for—is that the right-side butt ache is gone. :dancy:

Hope you are OK too :wave:
 
Hello and Welcome! Wondering if you're in recovery? If so please start a thread and tell us a little about yourself. We'd like to support you if you're post op and share our Recovery Guidelines. If you're pre-op we also have some useful info to share. Please join us!
@Tfwelder

As a Basic BoneSmart Member, which is what you are currently, you have access to core features of the forum, but some areas and functions are reserved for upgraded memberships. For an enriched experience including the ability to start your own threads and engage in discussions with members and staff about your specific concerns we invite you to join the Insiders Club. Upgrading not only unlocks full access to all forum features, but also provides valuable services like assistance with locating a surgeon, helpful downloads, and entry to the BoneSmart Library filled with videos and in depth articles to support you on your joint replacement journey. I hope you'll consider becoming an Insider.
Become an Insider
 
Oh my goodness, I wish I could say I loved the heat, lol.
You lost me at "amygdala", :heehee: I need to google...whatever it is, it sounds positive.:wink:
I'm amazed at those hikes at only two months post op. You're doing phenomenally well. Good news the ache has disappeared. I'm happy for you, hipcycle! :thumb:
@hipcycle
 
@Layla

Let’s say I’ve picked up quite a bit about the amygdala in the past few months!

Think of it as the brain's primitive, faithful, and ultra-cautious alarm system. It's a danger spotter—and it is so incredibly dedicated to its job that it can actually generate a thoroughly convincing ache or pain sensation if it thinks a joint or some tissue needs protecting (like a hip post-surgery). Hence my hypothesis regarding my now hopefully fully retired glute ache.

As a massively important aside, of course, some hip pain post-surgery is indeed structural and absolutely needs clinical attention. But in my case, the alarm system just needed to realize the danger had passed.

As for the heat, I absolutely love it. But strange as it may sound, I love the deep cold of winter too—so long as I'm all snug as a bug in my gloves and beanie hat!
:SUNsmile::ice:
 
@Legseleven

Thanks L11. I do post my missives from the front line as it were, with the faint hope that they may be of some future assistance to others.

As to yourself, I have been keeping an eye on your progress, and at still under a calendar month since your op, you seem to be on a steady path towards recovery! Also, for me at least, it is so easy to get lost in the minutiae of the day, that one sometimes forgets how much improvement there has been since say the last week or the week before.

Finally, to remember always, as I'm sure you do, that recovery is as much an emotional rollercoaster as it is a physical one - onwards and upwards!
 
@hipcycle
Good job! You are doing phenomenal and I so agree about recovery being just as much mental as it is physical.
I’m not quite the athlete you are but have walked 9 miles in last two days!
That’s what I’ve tracked. But add taking down curtains, washing windows, ironing curtains and getting them back up!
I love to clean and we had so much pollen here it was senseless to do a large amount of “spring” type cleaning earlier in the season. But it has passed now so I’m doing one room at a time. Then stand back and admire my work.
Keep checking in.
 
@myglasshalffull

Never underestimate the exercise value of daily chores MGHF, and glad you are well. As to me, tackling my rehab as best I can, and most of all, finally, after the uncertainty of the first few weeks post surgery, slowly beginning to enjoy it :yes!:
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I can only imagine what you've been up to over the past month. When you have the time, please let us know how your recovery is going. Enjoy the rest of the week! :)
@hipcycle
 
@Layla

Yes, a quarter of a year gone, although it seems much longer somehow, but in a good way. Both hips continue to progress well, with little breakthroughs still appearing, and not always the spectacular gotcha ones. A prime recent example is that I can now put on cycling bib shorts with true contralateral single leg stance, nothing spectacular, just a small act of for me daily living made easier by just that one little improvement.

Given my often rather unrelenting nature, I am quietly pleased that I have mostly kept well away from the clutches of the ODIC club, and besides, by now admittance to that club would require an ever increasing relatively punishing exercise schedule, but being a good boy, I am firmly skirting away from that :angel:

As to my routine, I continue to indulge in indoor cycling (Zwift), hilly hikes, calisthenics and some dumbbell routines. As importantly, I also do Transcendental Meditation twice a day, something I have done for many years now. The latter perhaps being an important element in diverting me away from all roads marked ODIC!

So yes, I still remain very pleasantly surprised at my progress, at the increasing resilience of my hips, plus the work in progress regaining of flexibility. I still enjoy the challenge of how to optimise my continuing recovery and gradual reclamation of my relative athletic identity. And I still remain quietly grateful for how things have turned out, fingers crossed, one day at a time :happydance:

Hope you are well too Layla :dancy:
 
Thank you, I am well!
It's wonderful to read how well you're doing, how engaged you are and how you're making progress while avoiding the ODIC. Keep on the doing what you're doing, it's clearly working for you. :thumb:
Have a wonderful weekend!
@hipcycle
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom