Guest viewing is limited

THR Balancing Exercise & Hip Health Prior to Revision Surgery

@Layla

Your cheerful and motivating missives marking important post-op monthiversaries mean a lot Layla! And yes, how well the left hip has fared is a good omen - just don't make an audit of my emotions at a fraught sleepless 5am on the morning of the forthcoming surgery!

Many thanks again!
 
@hipcycle
Heading into surgery is always overwhelming no matter if you’ve had the procedure before or not. You wouldn’t be human if you didn’t have the “heebie-jeevies!”
 
Absolutely, and whilst not an advocate of complete emotional incontinence, there is a benefit to at least acknowledge to others the anticipatory stress pre-surgery, if only for some crucial empathy/sympathy, and I'm a hugely grateful recipient of the latter, whenever offered!
 
@hipcycle
Sometimes just putting something pen to paper about how we are feeling is enough to get us through it all.
I’m actually having hernia surgery on the 30th to repair a hernia I’ve been trying to ignore for 3 years! So I get it. The “what if”s run through your mind for sure.
After my hip replacement. 4 years ago I wasn’t in any hurry to have more surgery. But this is a very straightforward procedure and I go home same day and my surgeon said next day I can resume my daily activities other than lifting anything heavy.
 
OK so had a Pre-op and Consent appointment re the 13 May right hip revision this morning, plus the 6 month review re my left hip revision. All fine regarding the left hip, and no further subsidence since the 3 month checkup, so that issue is now effectively closed. However, given all that, not sure what is the significance of the dark areas along the left hip stem, and if I should be concerned regarding this 6 months post op. The surgeon made no remark about it, but I am an expert worrier!

As to the right hip, it seems to be in a much less precarious condition than the left hip was pre-revision. If that is borne out intra-op, my Surgeon Mr Steele surmises that a shorter cemented stem could well suffice, partnered with a new cup. Due to the recent Stryker IT hack, he would use Smith and Nephew hardware instead. So if all goes to plan, I would have an uncemented long stem Stryker Restoration Trident in the left hip, and a shorter cemented Smith and Nephew in the right. That threw me a bit, as I expected the latter approach in both, but he is the expert.

As to long term plans and prognosis, his answers to both my questions were positive. Firstly, that it is a perfectly feasible proposition that these revisions could last me for the rest of my life. Secondly, I posited my hope of returning to road cycling, but mentioned if there were any concerns re the long stem in my left hip (long lever torsion fracture risk in case of an accident), and he simply said that he would get me back to that. He is a cautious guy, and a keen cyclist like me, and knows that a return to cycling would be more than just riding to the shops, so both his assent to that, and lack of concern gives me hope. But the right hip revision surgery 13 May first.

Finally, I tripped hiking Friday, and suffered a few abrasion on knees and hands. Mr Steele evinced zero concern regarding these, saying they should be well healed in plenty of time before 13 May, and the minimum required was for them to be dry and healing over – phew!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Balancing Exercise & Hip Health Prior to Revision Surgery
    20260427_110926.webp
    108.8 KB · Views: 7
Hello and Happy Monday, hipcycle :wave:
You're one step closer now with the pre-op exam behind you. Great news regarding your left hip. I can not read x-rays, but it seems you have confidence in your surgeon so if he saw anything concerning on an image, I'm sure he would have discussed it with you. Trust that, or if you need professional reassurance, consider shooting him an email with your question and I'm guessing a member of his team will respond.

How nice that you have cycling in common with him. I would trust his opinion since he knows firsthand all that cycling involves. I'm sorry you tripped while hiking. Thankfully it was abrasions and nothing more serious. I hope you heal quickly and have a good week!
@hipcycle
 
@Layla
Thank you for your kind reply Layla. I wrote the above post on the train on the way home, when in spite of overwhelming good news, my mind was still hyper scanning for threats, and even trying to read my X-ray with zero knowledge base to do so. Bottom line, Steele did a great job on my left hip, and would not agree that my revisions could outlive me, nor give the green light to possible future road cycling if he had doubts about the left hip. I think today's overwhelmingly positive outcome on multiple levels will take a bit of time to sink in, given that my CNS has been in default hyper alert risk scanning mode for so long now, that I just need to advocate some calmness, and gently advise it to calm the proverbial down. And yes, great he is a cyclist too!

Thank you :)
 
Oh thanks so much! Yes, I’ll be in and out and from what I’m being told in a day or two I’ll be good as new other than a little sore.
I’m not one to baby myself and hate a lot of attention when I don’t feel great! Would rather just be by myself!
My partner watches his Mom on Fridays and I already told him not to change his plans to stay home with me! Thanks for the good wishes @hipcycle !
 
@hipcyce … please don’t worry about the black areas you see in the X-rays of your left hip. That is completely normal. The tapered stem fits snugly down into the center of your bone that is reamed out during surgery. You can see that is the case because it is firmly against the bone on two sides in your X-ray. Trust your surgeon, as he sounds like he’s looking out for you 100%. In these cases where you have a question like this, it’s perfectly okay to ask your surgeon about it just to be reassured.
 
@Jamie

Your reassurance means a lot, Jamie. I asked the surgeon yesterday if he was happy with how the left stem looked, and he said yes. For most people, that would have been enough. But after everything that’s happened with that hip over the past 16 months, I still fear accepting its post-revision recovery is progressing well, despite all the evidence — its functionality breakthroughs, how increasingly "normal" it feels, the surgeon’s reassurance, and now your reply.

I have a strong feeling that your reassurance will be the final nail in my doubt's coffin!!!!

I will keep you all posted as to the imminent revision of the right hip a fortnight tomorrow, fingers crossed!

Thank you!
 
I'm glad I could offer some reassurance on the placement of your implant. And I do hope the doubt monster will go back in his cave and let you enjoy your new hips. Keep us posted. We're here for any questions or concerns you have.
 
@Jamie

Doubt Monsters more like! Plus those monsters absolutely thrive on the upcoming right hip revision a fortnight today. But they are quieter this morning, thank God.

Thank you Jamie, and hope all well with you too.
 
Sounds like your pre-op went well and I’d just take it one day at a time for right now.
It’s definitely nerve wracking before a surgical procedure cause all the “what ifs” are swirling around in your head. I get it.
I had such a busy and full lifestyle before fracturing my right hip and needing a replacement. I just hoped my recovery would go smoothly and I could return to my active lifestyle. I’m not a cycler but avid walker and love hiking.
Took me a little longer to get back to my old self but I did. And can now go on my long walks and hike. And do my own housework which lots of folks don’t like cleaning but I happen to love cleaning my house and cooking meals!
We will travel this road with you!
 
@myglasshalffull

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement MGHF. It is definitely more a Slowly Slowly Catchy Monkey approach that wins the day. I will definitely keep you all updated as to the upcoming revision.

Hope you are doing OK by the way, and recovering from Monday's surgery!
 
:wave:Best Wishes tomorrow! Will be thinking of you and I hope everything goes perfectly.
Will look forward to your first post op update. :)
@hipcycle
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom