Guest viewing is limited

THR Balancing Exercise & Hip Health Prior to Revision Surgery

OK so saw my surgeon today for my first post left hip revision checkup at 48 days post op. Mixed bag feedback from him. Bone formation good, but Stryker Restoration stem has subsided 1cm down the femur. If it stays there, all will be well. However, if it subsides more I could be looking at re-revising the stem. He said he was 80% happy with x-rays, the markdown being the subsidence stuff and the worry re latter he rated at 2/10 in terms of severity. I told him how much I was walking and he initially began to say that the volume of walks could have caused subsidence, then backtracked on that. I wonder if two clunks at POD 29 and 31, completely pain free, marked the subsidence? If yes, by that point my longest walk was 2.35 miles POD 28 and 3 miles POD 30, and I had been and still do fully respect the 50% PWB and crutches 3 point gait. Perhaps more to the point, the first clunk happened as I rushed to the kitchen bin with a leaking meat container, and may have put a bit more than 50% weight on the revised hip, and the second clunk two days later when brushing my teeth.
Moving on, I am allowed to sleep on my side as of tonight, can move to my Urban Poling Activator 2 poles in three weeks, cap miles at 3.5 to 4 miles, plus no walk aids indoors in three weeks time. I wonder if the surgeon would be allowing this if he had major concerns re the subsidence. He did say to contact him if any more clunks. The last of the 2 clunks was 17 days ago.
He is looking to revise my right hip late Spring say May 2026. As it stands now, no hip preserve protocol required specifically to protect the right hip.
So, overall, pretty stressed re this subsidence mess up 
 
Last edited:
It is understandable that you're feeling anxious given the news, but the re-revsion of the stem is not inevitable. You're under evaluation, and hopefully the stem becomes stable, in the position it's in, and it stays there. Bone is still growing around the implant. Follow any restrictions closely and deal with what comes next IF it becomes necessary. It is too exhausting to worry about something that may never happen, so hold out hope. Way easier said than done, I understand. This is cold comfort, but please know we are here for you always and we do care.
I am lifting a prayer for your peace of mind and that all will be well in the end. :prayer:
@hipcycle
 
Thank you for those wise and kind words Layla. And to coin a phrase, I am borrowing worry from a future that may never happen. Besides, concentrate on my surgeon's 80% satisfaction and 2/10 worry!
 
Good morning
I’ll give as brief of an experience I encountered after my hip replacement.
I was on vacation when on Day 4 I could no longer walk & was in horrible pain. I had fallen at home on ice about 10 days prior to travel. I did go for an X-ray & nothing was found at that time.
Hindsight being 20/20 I probably should have never left my house for vacation but I did and I was in pain before we even arrived at gate in the airport. But I persevered cause we had 2 other couples traveling at that time with us.
By Day 10 of vacation I asked my partner to take me to the clinic on island where I was Xray’d & doctor looked at me and said your hip is fractured & you need to be transferred to the hospital on St Thomas. Furthermore you might have a blood clot. Oh joy!
Off I went by myself in ambulance then water ambulance.
Next day my hip was replaced & 4 days later I made the trip back home. Sitting for all that time in airport, plane then one hour journey back home. Horrible. Fortunately we had a walker in the garage so my partner went & grabbed it and in the house I proceeded. I have 4 steps to get into front door. I had learned up with good leg down with bad so I began my walk up the stairs bearing that in mind with assistance from my partner. Second step if felt a crack, then pain but not overwhelming pain. Got into the house & just sat on a chair and started crying. I was so scared I had done something and maybe I had cause at my first XRay after they assigned me OS here I had a small fracture still present. Now did I do that coming into my house that night? Or just was there after the surgery I will never know. But I was told if it didn’t heal I’d need more surgery. So for next 4 weeks I behaved myself. 50% weight bearing using walker. Fortunately the small fracture healed on its own.
So I’m writing this to you to let you know sometimes it does work out. I’d try & take it a little slower than maybe you have been. Give the bone a chance to do its thing, our bodies are so capable of healing itself. Not saying do nothing but maybe baby yourself just a little. Trust me, you have the rest of your life to get back to all of your activities. Patience is key as you know. I had to learn patience cause my personality didn’t come with that trait!
Keep us posted & I wish you well.
 
That is quite a saga MGHF, and all the more stressful due to you being abroad during the surgery. I especially empathise with your interrogating the past, and how much blame to take on one's shoulders - at best a nearly always useless and damaging exercise. Glad it worked out for you, from which I should draw inspiration re my situation. - yes, sometimes good things happen (!), and I should concentrate more on my surgeon, in spite of the subsidence, being 80% happy with my x-rays, and the concern re that subsidence being 2/10. Thank you.
 
Hello hipcycle,
Stopping by on this two month anniversary date to say Hi :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
I hope you're doing well and feeling optimistic. I'm sure the waiting is difficult, but I am hoping the prosthetic continues to stabilize over the coming weeks. Wishing you steady healing and some positive news at the next visit with your OS. Please keep us posted.
@hipcycle

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
Good evening Layla, if I hadn't been told of the subsidence I would have thought things were going very well. No hip pain, no stabbing pains, nil sensation of hip "giving" etc. Also, lying supine both legs seem spot on of equal length. Plus the second and hopefully last clunk, which I am pretty sure was subsidence in action, was nearly 4.5 weeks ago now. Walking 10k steps every other day also absolutely fine, with crutches 50% PWB, absolutely obeying the surgeon's orders.
Due to ditch crutches POD 70, ie New Year's Eve, in favour of Urban Poling Activator 2 Poles, and WBAT inside - yayyyyy!!!!!
The acid test of course will be the next X-rays 27 January. However, I am cautiously optimistic for several reasons. Firstly no further clunks since 22 November. Secondly, hip doing well and no pain, and no worrying symptoms - to be honest pretty much no symptoms at all. Thirdly, surgeon allowing me to abandon crutches POD 70 - if he was very worried, I strongly doubt he would allow it. Leaving the last reason, that the surgeon, a highly experienced no nonsense straight talkers ascribed a worry rating of 2/10 re the subsidence.
And finally, finally, the prosthesis itself, the Stryker Trident/Restoration set up, which gives me confidence that it can handle the subsidence that happened quite well, leaving me fervently hoping that the subsidence has settled, and the distal top of the stem is happy in its new home of strong bone, snug as a bug!
Which leaves me to say how grateful I am for your wonderful message, and to wish you also a great Christmas Layla ❄️☃️
 
Last edited:
Thank you for the update, hipcycle, which sounds very positive and listed the numerous reasons you have to feel as optimistic as you do. It is wonderful that you're carrying on with recovery, as you should, making progress and holding out hope for good news once you hear the results of your next x-ray. Will keep you in my thoughts and check back for what I pray will be some great news later next month. Stay in touch, we're with you! :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
@hipcycle
 
Thank you Layla!

[Bonesmart.org] Balancing Exercise & Hip Health Prior to Revision Surgery
 
Since my last post a fortnight ago, there are a few developments to report. Firstly, to reflect upon my general disposition. I am normally a pretty gung ho kind of person, happy to accept calculated risk where there is an element of control. The experience with my hip has in many ways been anything but that over the past year. It all started with the spontaneous periprosthetic fracture Jan 2025. Then the news that my femur was found to be in a much more compromised state than feared during the surgery 22 October 2025. On top of that there was the intraoperative crack, plus the 1cm subsidence which was discovered on the POD 48 x-rays on 9 December 2025. As a cherry on top, there was AMI induced total inhibition of the quad post op. Due to all these beyond my control events, I had become much more risk averse regarding the revision prosthesis than I had expected .

My surgeon had okayed me to ditch the crutches/50% PWB and replace them with Urban Poling Activator 2 Poles from 31 December, New Year’s Eve, and given me permission to walk WBAT indoors - weight bearing as tolerated - from the same date. As NYE approached, I became increasingly trepidatious at the prospect of these changes. Even though I was walking up to 10,000 steps regularly on crutches, my fear induced me to set a conservative 1500 steps for my first pole walk, and the prospect of walking unassisted indoors seemed even more daunting.

Roll forward to NYE morning and I commenced on my first post op pole walk. And guess what? It was much more manageable than I feared. There were a few aches and pains re altered gait, guarding and inhibition, but the absolutely crucial metric was that the revised hip was completely pain free, with not even a hint of give or instability. In the end I walked 9,000 steps.

On returning home, this walk seemed to have really calmed my amygdala, and although walking unassisted seemed beyond me, I tentatively did a couple of single leg stances on the revised side, with light fingertip support on the table in front of me. The next morning, on exiting the bathroom after my morning ablutions, stick in hand, I spontaneously walked unassisted, taking myself almost by surprise! The first few steps were hesitant, with a very short stride length, and a pronounced limp. But again, the revised hip was as golden as it was with the pole walk - nil pain, nil give, nil instability.

Given all the above, there was ample hard evidence for both say my Prefrontal Cortex and Amygdala, that the revised hip was strong and stable. Consequently, both inhibition and guarding re the revised hip rapidly diminished. My next pole walk was 11,000 steps, much faster without trying, and any altered gait pains were massively reduced.

The same rapid progress was seen with unassisted walking indoors. By the second day, Friday, my stride length had doubled ie to normal for me, and the limp had lessened substantially. By the afternoon I was able to carry a 12lb sauerkraut fermentation jar using both hands the 15 feet from a spare room to my kitchen.

Needless to say that I am delighted with this progress. However, the point of this post is not to brag or show off. It is firstly to recognise that all the processes that the mind imposes, such as guarding and inhibition, plus the conscious fear of damaging the revised prosthesis, are absolutely essential in the first few weeks post op, to keep one safe. But eventually they have to go, and for me that was a frightening thing to behold. However, there comes a time when it has to be done, that face the fear and do it anyway moment. If like me, that moment is chosen well, the improvements after that moment are exponential, mainly initially due to the rapid de-escalation of guarding and inhibition.

Finally, to wish all bonies here a Happy New Year!
 
I love this for you! You should be delighted with your wonderful progress, hipcycle!
Your words and progress will be an inspiration for many. Especially those facing a revision, and those early into recovery after a revision. I thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed update, wish you only the best and hope you'll stay in touch with more good news! :thumb:
Happy New Year!
@hipcycle
 
Yes, I do hope that this post may be of benefit to those facing whatever tribulations, fears and indeed successes they may face post arthroplasty of every kind, but perhaps especially revision surgery. I don't seem capable of posting short comments, but I had quite a bit of detail to convey, so needs must! And I will stay in touch.

Happy New Year to you as well Layla - your words of encouragement are always very welcome.
 
@hipcycle Thank you for a detailed accounting of how embedded fear is often conveyed throughout our body.

I had a similar experience with undertaking community walking following my first TKR (sadly before I found BoneSmart!). I realized fear was subconsciously hindering me and forcing me to literally reteach myself how to walk outdoors. I had to trust that my previously excellent structure and proprioception hadn't been lost, was just being overriden by fear that took over my neuromuscular feedback system.

Our experiences aren't unique post op, but definitely aren't often addressed openly. You've done a great service to your fellow "hippies"!
 
Many thanks for your kind words mendogal. Regarding recovery, some issues or emotions are perhaps not often shared or discussed, risking those facing such issues or emotions to feel quite alone or even ashamed - that of course is when a self-help mutual support group like Bonesmart comes into its own, as you yourself found out

As to your experience, I'm so glad that you regained your confidence and were able to return to something you loved. Reclamations such as that are the building blocks that make for a joyful recovery.

As to fear, it is an emotion that can be of great value, but if it outstays its welcome, can be crippling. Glad that you tamed yours, and mine is in retreat!

Finally, on a more mundane level, I think I am missing something when replying to posts, namely that I suspect that there is a way to indicates that for example this reply is directed at you. If I am correct regarding this, if you could please tell me how. It's probably extremely obvious, and I'll a bit silly...........
 
@hipcycle … to direct comments to a specific person, you just type the “at” sigh (@) followed by the username of the person you’re writing to with no space between the two and at least one space after the tag…..like I have done for you at the start of this post. You’ll know the tag “took” when you post the reply and see that the tag turns blue.

Thanks so much for all the details for your experience with brain versus body. It’s so good you wrote this right away so nothing was forgotten, which can happen as the even passes into history in your mind. The brain is truly amazing at how it can affect the body - both positively and negatively. You are right that irrational fears can actually cripple a person if not addressed when they pop up. You did a great job listening to your body, analyzing what might be going on, and taking slow, conscious action to resolve the problem. I have no doubt that your description of what you went through will help many other BoneSmarties in the future.

And now, you’re on the cusp of returning to a normal life! That’s the best news of all. :loveshwr:
 
@Jamie

Yes Jamie, the Mind-Body link is fascinating to behold, and so true that recall can quickly fade with time.

As to the guarding and inhibition, it would be so easy to get angry and frustrated if such pathways start to outstay their welcome. Ironically of course, anger and frustration could lead to those pathways hanging around even longer. I tried to be grateful for the pathways having kept me safe for those risky first few weeks. With emphasis on "I tried" though, as I wasn't Mr Zen all the way through!

And thank you for your kind words and encouragement. This last week has been a gamechanger, which has given me much joy, measured optimism and such a huge sense of gratitude.

Finally, thank you for the "reply/direct comments" tip. And it was pretty obvious!

Happy New Year Jamie
 
Last edited:
Just a couple of updates which to some may sound trivial, but which are massive for me — both happening today on POD (post‑op day) 82.

Firstly, for the first time since late June 2025 (four months pre‑revision), I managed full plank and full press‑ups rather than the knee variants: a one‑minute full plank and 100 full press‑ups.

Secondly — and more noteworthy — I’ve had total, position‑specific AMI (Arthrogenic Muscle Inhibition) of the revised left hip abductors since the revision. When lying on my right side, I couldn’t even begin to lift the left leg. It felt dead — completely unresponsive — despite standing left hip abductions being fine.

Today I tried a different tack. Lying on my right side, I bent the left knee to about 45 degrees and lifted the left knee off the right knee by around 5 inches, with the left foot still on the floor. To my delight, that worked easily, and I did 15 reps — essentially a clamshell, a lower‑leverage modified abduction.

Then I straightened the knee and managed four proper, full‑leverage side‑lying left leg lifts. Huzzah! Those four were plenty of load for today — not huge lifts, but absolutely huge in the context of 81 days of complete abductor inhibition in that position.

My guess is that the lower‑leverage clamshells finally ‘woke up’ the abductors, and the amygdala felt safe enough to release its vice‑like protective shutdown in that position. Another milestone in my subconscious trusting the new prosthesis.

I hope this post is useful to anyone recovering from a complex revision, especially those dealing with AMI post‑op.
 
Last edited:
Happy to hear about your success with hip abduction, thanks for sharing that decreasing the load allowed you to complete hip abduction.
Our bodies are amazing, and can change quickly when given the right input.
 
I think this is a HUGE accomplishment! How clever of you to figure out the approach that worked. We’ll need to file that away in case others have this problem. I so appreciate you sharing even minor details with us. These small things add up to a continuing improvement in your recovery and they are bound to give hope to others who may feel their progress is sooooo slow. :beer:
 
Back
Top Bottom